General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-25 10:40 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Concussion
Been blessed with a nice hit to the head last week and turns out ill be out of commission for a few weeks. I felt pretty good today so i was able to make an attempt to shovel my driveway. It didn't go well and i had a very difficult time with it. To the point where i had to stop. Anyone go through anything like this and if so what did you find helped?

Edited by katan2212 2014-01-25 10:45 PM

2014-01-26 4:14 AM
in reply to: katan2212

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Concussion
Once, yes. More than a decade ago I was knocked down by a wrong-way bike while running in Beijing. Hit the pavement and may have blacked out for a minute or so, pulled out of traffic and helped onto the subway home by a rare good Samaritan (not common in that city). Dizzy and nauseous for maybe a day, then about a week of having a sore head, especially upon exertion. Therefore I would avoid exertion. Your body is trying to tell you something. When you do get back to exercising, start with easy stuff like walking, swimming, or easy spinning that doesn't get your heart rate up too high, or involve pushing against resistance (i.e. shoveling snow, lifting heavy weights), or a lot of pounding. Beyond that, just listen to your doctor.
2014-01-26 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4938651

User image

Veteran
More than once. Rest and time helps. You should have received specific instructions from the ER or doctor about when to resume activities and about what to do and not to. Trying to do things prematurely is really not good for the brain. You did see a doctor right?
2014-01-26 8:14 AM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
yes i seen the Dr. Basically told me this could be something between 10 days and a couple months. Told me to just take it easy for a while. Not really easy for a guy who always needs to be on the go lol..
2014-01-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4938684

User image

Veteran
Depending upon the severity of the concussion, you should consider not resuming even modest amounts of strenuous activity until you are a symptomatic for about a week or so.
2014-01-26 8:42 AM

User image

Our policy is not to release people to activity until seen in follow up in two weeks.. There can be a number of mild cognitive deficits that may not be obvious. Persistent headaches, nausea, and difficulty concentrating would be common symptoms suggesting your not ready.

2014-01-26 9:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by katan2212 Been blessed with a nice hit to the head last week and turns out ill be out of commission for a few weeks. I felt pretty good today so i was able to make an attempt to shovel my driveway. It didn't go well and i had a very difficult time with it. To the point where i had to stop. Anyone go through anything like this and if so what did you find helped?

Yeah. A few times. One is bad, more is exponentially worse. Concussion is, and is also called, traumatic brain injury. Brain controls everything. So ... everything needs to rest. The guidelines generally call for two weeks of no exertion, and that includes getting as much mental rest as possible. (Hint: not involving a computer). Resumption of light (as in, beyond minimum daily activity to get around, cook, eat, etc.) activity after two NON-SYMPTOMATIC weeks. In other words, if during the two or so weeks of rest, you have any headache, pain, nausea, dizziness ... that's another two weeks from that point.

I wish you the best, and peace and the ability to cultivate rest. I suck at it.

2014-01-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
The problem is that there is _no_ way to tell how bad/long the symptoms will last.

A concussion is primarily a metabolic disorder. What we recommend to our athletes is to get lots of rest, both physically and mentally, and drink lots of gatorade type drinks.

We also would be running people through a neurocognitive assessments (e.g. IMPACT) and hold them off from activities until they return to baseline, although it actually takes a M.D. to officially allow them to return.

Since I'm going to assume you don't have a baseline I'd suggest that you take it super easy until you feel 'normal'. Then _slowly_ return to activity. If there is _any_ sign of discomfort or issues stop immediately and rest longer. You can't rush the process and returning too early can be very detrimental in the long run.

Best case, you're good to go next week, worst case it's 5 months before you're normal. Just for an example a friend in our club crashed her bike on our spring break trip last March and ended up concussed. She wasn't back to full normal activity until October, her crash wasn't even that bad, just a low speed fall while wearing a good helmet.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I hold no current qualifications(applicable to this), I am only offering this advice based on my own experience and current studies.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concussion Rss Feed