General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-05 9:32 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: Eagleman
I'm hearing rumors that Eagleman may be cancelled? Anyone know anything about it?

They have my money and I want to race!!!!

2014-03-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Eagleman

There's a thread over on ST that started yesterday.  No official confirmation, but it doesn't sound very good.

Mark

2014-03-05 9:48 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
2014-03-05 11:13 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
It's definitely not looking good: http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/TriColumbia_on_the_Brink_4206.html

I'm signed up for this race too! I hope WTC steps in if TriColumbia can't handle registration refunds if it comes to that...
2014-03-05 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mike761

I'm hearing rumors that Eagleman may be cancelled? Anyone know anything about it?

They have my money and I want to race!!!!

With all the news available at our fingertips via the internet it takes away a lot of peoples patience while many jump to the worse possible outcome.

While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome.

Lots of unknowns here that need to be investigated before conclusions are made. If I were racing Eagleman I would develop a backup plan just in case, but at the same time plan for option A until OFFICIALLY advised not to, all other worrying is just wasted energy.
2014-03-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by mike761 I'm hearing rumors that Eagleman may be cancelled? Anyone know anything about it? They have my money and I want to race!!!!
With all the news available at our fingertips via the internet it takes away a lot of peoples patience while many jump to the worse possible outcome. While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome. Lots of unknowns here that need to be investigated before conclusions are made. If I were racing Eagleman I would develop a backup plan just in case, but at the same time plan for option A until OFFICIALLY advised not to, all other worrying is just wasted energy.

don't worry... says the man with nothing invested.

2014-03-05 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Sous

Originally posted by mike761 I'm hearing rumors that Eagleman may be cancelled? Anyone know anything about it? They have my money and I want to race!!!!
With all the news available at our fingertips via the internet it takes away a lot of peoples patience while many jump to the worse possible outcome. While it doesn't look good for TriColumbia, all that is needed is for someone to step in and provide the money. WTC has a stake in this, so until you hear anything from WTC I wouldn't worry about the worst possible outcome. Lots of unknowns here that need to be investigated before conclusions are made. If I were racing Eagleman I would develop a backup plan just in case, but at the same time plan for option A until OFFICIALLY advised not to, all other worrying is just wasted energy.

I have an athlete that I am coaching racing, a good friend who has paid for his house the week of the race racing, and 2 close friends that I train with going for 70.3 qualification. I would say that I am invested in this race just a bit.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-03-05 11:37 AM
2014-03-05 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
This sucks. I had the Chesapeake Man dialed in.
I had a backup plan to do Cedar Point, but it wasn't my first choice by a mile.

I had a goal to do all non-WTC-branded ultras, looking like that is going to get pretty easy over time....this is sad.
2014-03-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

dont worry says the only man that is not having a knee jerk reaction to something that has not happened yet.

WTC is not gonna let a marquis event that provides WC slots go down the toilet with out a fight or at least compensation to the athletes.

Will you not have a race, possibly, will you be out your cash, highly unlikely. That would be very detrimental to a public company and their image.
2014-03-05 11:39 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I have an athlete that I am coaching racing, a good friend who has paid for his house the week of the race racing, and 2 close friends going for 70.3 qualification. I would say that I am invested in this race just a bit.

There is an Olympic that same day I've been wanting to do- that is my backup for now.

I have not freaked out because there is no real information. This is also a big event for WTC with lots of history, so if tricolumbia is done I would think someone is going to step in and make this happen.
2014-03-05 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I have an athlete that I am coaching racing, a good friend who has paid for his house the week of the race racing, and 2 close friends going for 70.3 qualification. I would say that I am invested in this race just a bit.

Not trying to be an azz, but no YOU don't.  Your athlete and your friends do and I'm sure that they are worried (concerned, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it.).  I highly doubt that they are just humming along thinking "eh... no big deal".  I'm sure they are thinking about other race options, can I pay for other lodging and airfare, etc.

Fact is that as of right now we have an open admission that the event (organization) needs someone to step in to fund it.  Will it happen? who knows.  Should everyone planning to race start to reevaluate their options?  Absolutely.... and the longer this drags out, the worse its going to be for those of us invested in the race... other races are going to sell out, hotels will book up, etc. 

2014-03-05 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Not trying to be an azz, but no YOU don't.  Your athlete and your friends do and I'm sure that they are worried (concerned, pessimistic, whatever you want to call it.).  I highly doubt that they are just humming along thinking "eh... no big deal".  I'm sure they are thinking about other race options, can I pay for other lodging and airfare, etc.

Fact is that as of right now we have an open admission that the event (organization) needs someone to step in to fund it.  Will it happen? who knows.  Should everyone planning to race start to reevaluate their options?  Absolutely.... and the longer this drags out, the worse its going to be for those of us invested in the race... other races are going to sell out, hotels will book up, etc. 

So my time spent writing and planning a proper build for an athlete isn't investment? Searching out sources on the race, reading previous reports to see how the race unfolds isn't investment? Possibly planning to be at the race that weekend isn't an investment? Spending time with friends and planning weekend training camps to get ready for the race isn't an investment? No I don't have $250 invested in this race like everyone else does, but I have time and that is just as great if not better then the $250 as I could have spend that time making far more then $250.

The point that I am making is that without any official announcement, energy spent being worried is wasted. Yes backup plans should exist, and the proper emails have been sent. That doesn't mean to freakout and automatically assume the worst. I admit this looks terrible for TriColumbia, but WTC has a lot of stake involved in this race and I doubt they will go down without a fight. Eagleman is a superior race with a great history that WTC is tied directly to, do you think that they will just let this one wash away?

Talked to my friend who is attempting to 70.3 qualify at Eagleman, when I asked him what his plan was he said "race in Kansas instead, but right now Eagleman is advertised to go on by WTC and I have a run to do so I gotta go."
2014-03-05 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

There's an article posted on the ST main page that fills in a few more details.  Apparently Tri Columbia who puts on the race (under franchise from WTC) is on the ropes financially.  Sounds like they're looking for a white knight (with a big pile of cash) to bail them out.

What I read between the lines is that they built their budgeting on a full entry of 2,500. and so far have less than 1,000 signed up for this year's event.  

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-03-05 11:56 AM
2014-03-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

After Vigo left the events got considerably worse. No wonder registration is down; for the price they don't deliver anymore.

2014-03-05 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by RedCorvette

There's an article posted on the ST main page that fills in a few more details.  Apparently Tri Columbia who puts on the race (under franchise from WTC) is on the ropes financially.  Sounds like they're looking for a white knight (with a big pile of cash) to bail them out.

What I read between the lines is that they built their budgeting on a full entry of 2,500. and so far have less than 1,000 signed up for this year's event.  

Mark

That is for the Columbia Triathlon not Eagleman, Eagleman is sold out, usually just over 3,000.

I expect either Setup Events to put in a bid, or maybe REV 3 (though I am not sure how that plays out with WTC's ownership), as this could really benefit their brand in the long run to have such a storied race in their company and almost in their backyard as well.

Either way this would be a great race for anyone to have. Logistics are all in place, the race has been run for 30 years, and it's very well known.

Edited by bcagle25 2014-03-05 12:04 PM
2014-03-05 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Mark

That is for the Columbia Triathlon not Eagleman, Eagleman is sold out, usually just over 3,000. I expect either Setup Events to put in a bid, or maybe REV 3 (though I am not sure how that plays out with WTC's ownership), as this could really benefit their brand in the long run to have such a storied race in their company and almost in their backyard as well. Either way this would be a great race for anyone to have. Logistics are all in place, the race has been run for 30 years, and it's very well known.

Yeah, I should have been clearer about that.  The point is that they seem to have developed a  huge hole in their corporate cash flow stream.  A lot of the costs of putting on a race are front-loaded, so they may be running on fumes now.

Mark

2014-03-05 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

So my time spent writing and planning a proper build for an athlete isn't investment? Searching out sources on the race, reading previous reports to see how the race unfolds isn't investment? Possibly planning to be at the race that weekend isn't an investment? Spending time with friends and planning weekend training camps to get ready for the race isn't an investment? No I don't have $250 invested in this race like everyone else does, but I have time and that is just as great if not better then the $250 as I could have spend that time making far more then $250. The point that I am making is that without any official announcement, energy spent being worried is wasted. Yes backup plans should exist, and the proper emails have been sent. That doesn't mean to freakout and automatically assume the worst. I admit this looks terrible for TriColumbia, but WTC has a lot of stake involved in this race and I doubt they will go down without a fight. Eagleman is a superior race with a great history that WTC is tied directly to, do you think that they will just let this one wash away? Talked to my friend who is attempting to 70.3 qualify at Eagleman, when I asked him what his plan was he said "race in Kansas instead, but right now Eagleman is advertised to go on by WTC and I have a run to do so I gotta go."

We will agree to disagree on this... everything you've done for your athlete is an investment that you were paid for, unless of course you've got a "full refund if the race is cancelled" policy.

The $250 is the small potatoes, those truly invested also have airfare costs, lodging costs, training plan structures, time off work planned, kids out of school plans, etc, etc. Sure as of right now E-Man is advertised as good to by WTC, unfortunately the company that actually puts the race on has essentially closed up shop, unless an investor is found.  I certainly hope that one is, but backup plans must be made and hopeful everyone can afford them (in all senses of the word afford). 

2014-03-05 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
I'm really sad now! Was really looking forward to racing and had travel booked. Not a lot of backup HIM options near me in early summer.

Edited by meggfishy 2014-03-05 12:43 PM
2014-03-05 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

We will agree to disagree on this... everything you've done for your athlete is an investment that you were paid for, unless of course you've got a "full refund if the race is cancelled" policy.

Can't say that I've ever seen that in a coaching agreement.

Mark

2014-03-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: Rudedog55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Originally posted by Rudedog55
Will you not have a race, possibly, will you be out your cash, highly unlikely.

You're a very optimistic person. Ive heard far more stories about how people lost money from cancelled races than from people talking about how the organizers stepped up and refunded everyones cash.

Ive heard more along the lines of "Well, you wont get your $300 dollars back, but heres a $20 certificate towards registration to one of our other events."

My approach would be as follows:

Will the race happens? Who knows?
Will you lose your money? Who knows?
2014-03-05 2:39 PM
in reply to: nhunter344

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by nhunter344

Originally posted by Rudedog55
Will you not have a race, possibly, will you be out your cash, highly unlikely.

You're a very optimistic person. Ive heard far more stories about how people lost money from cancelled races than from people talking about how the organizers stepped up and refunded everyones cash.

Ive heard more along the lines of "Well, you wont get your $300 dollars back, but heres a $20 certificate towards registration to one of our other events."

My approach would be as follows:

Will the race happens? Who knows?
Will you lose your money? Who knows?

Lots of those races are non-WTC races. When WTC cancels events they have given refunds, or free entries (I believe) into other races under their umbrella.

2014-03-05 3:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by nhunter344
Originally posted by Rudedog55 Will you not have a race, possibly, will you be out your cash, highly unlikely.
You're a very optimistic person. Ive heard far more stories about how people lost money from cancelled races than from people talking about how the organizers stepped up and refunded everyones cash. Ive heard more along the lines of "Well, you wont get your $300 dollars back, but heres a $20 certificate towards registration to one of our other events." My approach would be as follows: Will the race happens? Who knows? Will you lose your money? Who knows?
Lots of those races are non-WTC races. When WTC cancels events they have given refunds, or free entries (I believe) into other races under their umbrella.

But it wouldn't be WTC cancelling the race it would be TriColumbia?  Who also is in danger of bankruptcy?  IF it's cancelled I'm not holding out hope for much of refund or entry to another race.

2014-03-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Pro

No matter what happens, or who (if anyone) bails the race out.......you've seen the last of it's big popularity.  There will be far fewer people willing to make plans to travel, etc. to a race that will now have this cloud over it.  Personally, if I ran a race management company, I'd pass.  It would take years to build up confidence again. 

2014-03-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
They heard I wasn't coming back this year

I dragged my feet with registration, wasn't sure I'd be healthy by June, and am focused more on Savageman this year. I thought I saw in January they were sold out, they were taking names for the waiting list.

Last year it seemed to take a step back, though I'm not sure how much Vigo could have helped. They changed around transition area, which wouldn't have been a big deal, except for the crazy rain they got on Friday before the race. Great Marsh Park lived up to it's name. If they had to pay for landscaping repairs afterwards, that could have really hurt.

Might get to do a corporate challenge at the USAF Cycling Classic that weekend anyway,,,

2014-03-05 5:10 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

So my time spent writing and planning a proper build for an athlete isn't investment? Searching out sources on the race, reading previous reports to see how the race unfolds isn't investment? Possibly planning to be at the race that weekend isn't an investment? Spending time with friends and planning weekend training camps to get ready for the race isn't an investment? No I don't have $250 invested in this race like everyone else does, but I have time and that is just as great if not better then the $250 as I could have spend that time making far more then $250. The point that I am making is that without any official announcement, energy spent being worried is wasted. Yes backup plans should exist, and the proper emails have been sent. That doesn't mean to freakout and automatically assume the worst. I admit this looks terrible for TriColumbia, but WTC has a lot of stake involved in this race and I doubt they will go down without a fight. Eagleman is a superior race with a great history that WTC is tied directly to, do you think that they will just let this one wash away? Talked to my friend who is attempting to 70.3 qualify at Eagleman, when I asked him what his plan was he said "race in Kansas instead, but right now Eagleman is advertised to go on by WTC and I have a run to do so I gotta go."

The $250 is the small potatoes, those truly invested also have airfare costs, lodging costs, training plan structures, time off work planned, kids out of school plans, etc, etc. Sure as of right now E-Man is advertised as good to by WTC, unfortunately the company that actually puts the race on has essentially closed up shop, unless an investor is found.  I certainly hope that one is, but backup plans must be made and hopeful everyone can afford them (in all senses of the word afford). 

I'm with Ben on this.  I have three athletes registered for Eagleman.  While as a coach, I don't have a financial stake in the race, I am still invested intellectually, and emotionally to a degree.  Most coaches do what we do because we want to help people.  The idea of two of my athletes being disappointed and potentially suffering financial loss on any level creates a bit of stress for me.

I also agree with Ben saying not to worry too much about it until more information is available.  That has nothing to do with the amount of my investment, but everything to do with maintaining a level head and not hitting the panic button prematurely.

Edited by TriMyBest 2014-03-05 5:12 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eagleman Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

For those of you doing Eagleman

Started by thegomer
Views: 580 Posts: 4

2006-06-06 3:30 PM kenail

Eagleman swim advice

Started by truebrits
Views: 725 Posts: 2