General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elberton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80+F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Drove! Had a 160+ mile commute to the start point. Unfortunately getting there the night Friday night and checking in to a motel was not an option. So 3:30 am wake up, eat, load the bike, and drive, drive, drive!
Event warmup:

I arrived about 45 minutes prior to the start. Since this was my first Duathlon, I spent a extra few minutes after check-in locating my bike position, looking at the transition area and walking myself through my transition. Stretched my cramped legs (from the drive), slow jogged for about 10 minutes, and continued to stretch at the starting line, and just hope I know what I'm doing. My goal was to finish in the top 3 of my age group so I also spent that time at the starting line looking at left calves (age markers), trying to spot my competition and trying to look like I knew what I was doing.
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Hindsight, I think I did ok considering how I spent the prvious hours(driving).
What would you do differently?:

More sleep the night prior.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I think I did great! considering this being my first multi-sport race in many many years. I entered the transition area with the runner that was next to me in the transition area so I paced him.

Nothing? I don't know.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 33s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.19 mile/hr

Train harder!
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Slow getting the shoes back on.

Now that I know how to transition, I will train transition during Bricks.
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

It seemed that I couldn't get cool. The temperature and humidity rose through the roof as the sun rose higher. I carried a small flask of Sports drink with me, which helped, and dumped water over my head and neck at each water point (4). Run time was much slower than my goal of 45:30. Oh well......I'm happy.

Train harder!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Fatigue from the long drive.

Event comments:

I was very surprised to find out that I was moved into the 45-49 age group even though I will not be 45 until November. By the looks of the other athletes I'm not sure this gave mne any advantage what so ever ha...ha...
I'm hooked. As soon as I improve on my swim, look for me in the Tri series next year.

Last updated: 2006-08-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The first run (5K) was a single loop course with very little elevation changes which I thought would be to my advantage. Especially since the second run would be two loops on the same course. My goal for the first run was to finish around 20 minutes. What I didn't realize what inpact the drive took on my legs and I never really warmed up on the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:12:33 | 22 miles | 18.19 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop Course. Slightly rolling with much smaller hills that I'm used too. This proved to be an advantage as well as a disadvantage. I found that while climbing, I was passing many riders. I almost felt invinceable. One rider commented to me as I passed him " It's pretty obvious where you ride" Hopefully he could tell that I live in the mountains, and am very comfortable climbing, rather than noticing that I'm a novice racer ha...ha.... It made me feel good anyway. My disadvantage was that these same riders that I passed so easily on the hills, were able to blow me away on the flats. I couldn't seem to generate the RPMs to maintain a 20 MPH average which was my goal. I'm very pleased with my performance anyway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:00
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Same as 5k, only two loops.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-07 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon and Duathlon, Richard B. Russell State Park Rss Feed