General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shreveport, Louisiana
United States
Sports Spectrum
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 53/57
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Shreveport Saturday morning. Had to wait about a half hour to pick up my race packet because the lines were so long. EXCELLENT race packet. I'm sure I'm going to forget some stuff, but lets see: race poster, 2 t-shirts, running shorts, sunglasses, socks, a sport canteen, hat, and the best part, this really NICE duffel bag with wheels and extendable handle. Everything was embroidered/stamped with the race logo. This race was worth the race packet alone.
Anyways, got checked into the hotel, and then the Bears and Derek and Laurie (DerekL and tri_it_cajun_style) showed up. Had a nice dinner at Macaronni Grill with them, Chris (ruby kid), Matt (Biseman), and Heather and Paige (mnewton's wife and daughter). Dinner was a lot of fun, especially Chris having a cake brought to Bear to celebrate his "recent US Citizenship". He asked the waitress if they could sing to him as well, but she said they didn't know any citizenship songs.
Anyways, back to the hotel and sleep.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warmup. Walked around a bit, drank a red bull, and headed down to the beach. Water was very warm, so I didn't really need any acclimation time. Wave start, and luckily I was in the first wave.
Swim
  • 33m 18s
  • 880 meters
  • 03m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

After the starting shot, I started out ok. I felt confident going into this swim, and I was shooting for roughly 20-22 mins. I started out ok. Somewhat getting into my groove. Then, aboout 150m in, I realized I had forgot to start my wath. So what do I stop. I STOP SWIMMING so that I can start my watch. Note: I have no idea why I did this. This is one of the dumbest things I have ever done. Needless to say, I lost whatever groove I had going, and the rest of the swim was an absolute disaster.

Word is the swim course was a little longer than posted (100-200m). Either way, my swim still sucked.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. No need to even mention the watch thing. That was just stupid.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

This time seems a little long, but these were big transition areas, and I probably couldn't have gone much faster than this. Considering the overall winner had a time of 1:12, I was happy with this.

Bike
  • 1h 02m 39s
  • 18.12 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first race where I had my shoes pre-clipped into my pedals. I started off fine out of transition and started pedaling with my feet on top of shoes. I got my right foot in fine. But then with my left, one of my straps (I've got 3-strap shoes) came out of the buckle. I messed with it for a little while and finally said scew it and pulled over to fix it. Got it fixed and then headed out.
I really liked this course. This was litteraly my first ride with any kind of hills. The uphills sucked, the downhills were a blast. I got up to 30mph on the biggest downhill.
My chain popped off twice, both times while shifting during an uphill. I'm guess it was something I was doing wrong, probably too much strain on the chain. Both times cost me maybe a minute each to fix.
I got passed more times than I could count, but I did manage to pass a few others.

Train more. Need to find a hill to do repeats on. To make myself feel better, if I subtract the 3 minutes I spent fixing my shoe and replacing my chain, I would have had a +18mph avg. But, I guess they don't let you take time off for those things... ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Again, no problems with this transtion.

Run faster.
Run
  • 30m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty slow run for me. I was hoping to go sub-9 miles, but no today. I think my overall lack of training really started to show during the run. The run is my "best" sport, but I just couldn't get it going. I had fun on this run though, there were volunteers EVERYWHERE, and they had wet towels at the aidstations which was a nice tough. Oh, there was plenty of pace booty to keep me going. ;) Too bad it was usually flying by me.

Train more. That's about it.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal and went and got some more fluids. Walked around for a bit and talked to Matt, Derek, and the Bears. Watched Laurie and Chris come in. Then when they opened the transition area, I went and grabbed my stuff and loaded up for the drive back to N.O.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Where do I start. Lack of OW swimming, lack of hill training, lack of bricks, etc etc. Nothing outside of my control.

Event comments:

This was a VERY well put together race. It was all in the details. From the excellent race packet to the amount and quality of aid stations (4 for a 5k), excellent volunteers, and just overall atmosphere, this was by far the best race I've been in!

Last updated: 2006-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:18 | 880 meters | 03m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 54/57
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri top/shorts
Course: Triangular course, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:02:39 | 18.12 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/57
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: One loop around the lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:45 | 03.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 48/57
Performance: Below average
Course: Kind of an out-and-back, but with a few twists. Small portion was off-road with the one uphill on a mud/clay trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-07 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon

2006-08-07 11:49 AM
in reply to: #504159

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon
Nice race Jeremy!   I forgot my laptop and missed where everyone was meeting  I looked for some BT bling before the race but never saw anyone with the race shirts on.  Keep at it!
2006-08-07 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Congrats on a good race. We had a lot of fun. Hopefully Kylie and I will run into you at another race soon.
2006-08-07 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hawkins
Good race, Jeremy! Sounds a lot like mine. I had a decent swim. I, too, had problems with the shoes already clipped into the pedals. I haven't done this routine since March, and it showed. It took me forever--and I have one-strap tri shoes! I got discouraged being passed so many times, but then I rationalized it by telling myelf all the passers were guys! (Well, most were...) My computer wasn't set right so I had no feedback telling me how fast I was going. Only later did I learn I had set a personal best of 18.2 mph avg--which is slow compared to others, but a milestone for me. I wish I could say I set a PB on the run, but here the heat just got to me. I can't run fast in the heat. Didn't matter, though, with so many people--I just needed to finish, which I did.

I'm afraid I *completely* loused up the dinner on Saturday night. I, too, didn't bring my laptop and so couldn't re-check information. i showed up an hour late, and then it seems I misunderstood the reservation arrangment. (I thought we were all going to be in one big party under The Bear's name.) My husband and I ended up going back to Bossier, and only later that night using his Mac did I check back on the Forum and see where I'd messed up. I tried to spot the Bear on Sunday morning, but I've only seen one picture of him, so i wasn't sure which fella he was. Guess I'll have to meet the Legend next year!

Give my regards to Kenner. I lived there from 98-99.
2006-08-07 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Nice race!! Sounds like a great event; great job!!
2006-08-07 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Good report

Enjoyed meeting you at the dinner.

Next year we will kill this event

2006-08-07 3:02 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Sounds like you had a great race! It is awesome that the swim started out so well, and it should encourage you for your next race. Nice job with the Petals clipped in- that is a challenge I am not ready for in a race yet! Hope to see you at a race sometime!

PS Do you think that the swim distance rumors are true?

Edited by kriley 2006-08-07 3:03 PM
2006-08-07 3:24 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Good job and at least you had fun.

Now you know why races supply timing chips!

2006-08-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: #504579

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Hey, you didn't say hi at packet pickup!! The reason you had to wait was because the guy with the computer for the chip timing belts was running late and they couldn't let people in. We were ready for you guys though!

(I'm going to get tired for repeating this on everyone's RR, but......) I am sorry that I didn't get to meet up with you guys at Macaroni Grill! Next year!!!!!

And yes, I did hear from one of my tri club friends that the swim course was a bit longer, but only by about 50 yards or so. There was a big t-storm that blew by the night before and all the buoys were gone by morning. They had the GPS the day before, but that morning they just had to scramble to get everything set back up again.

Sorry about all those chain problems! You still did awesome though! Excellent job! See you next year!!

2006-08-07 6:50 PM

User image

Regular
Baton Rouge

Nice to meet you brother!

Nice race.

See you at cajun man!

2006-08-07 7:26 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Good race.

I am disappointed that I wasn't there to meet you all.

My wife told me about Bear getting his green card and I thought that was hillarious.

I am trying to see if I can get to another race later on this year to make up for missing RiverCites. Hopefully I can meet you at one of those.

2006-08-08 5:50 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Jeremy, I think you did an awesome job!  You held it together despite getting rattled by the watch and the shoe.  Just remember that every race is a learning experience!  Hey, at least you didn't flat!  Thanks again for letting us bunk in with you! 
2006-08-08 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
Nice meeting you and nice race, Jeremy.
2006-08-09 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good race buddy. You gotta remember your new at this so don't get down on yourself. You got the take aways down and you got more races to utilize the knowledge you gained! Keep pushing.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed