General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you ever give unsolicited advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-04-14 6:55 PM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: do you ever give unsolicited advice?
Only once but it was more of a coaching situation. I was at a Malaysian resort on vacation and a man was trying to teach his daughter to do flip turns; she was getting water up her nose and just miserable, and Dad's advice wasn't helping. I said I was a swim coach (well, assistant coach!) and offered to help out. (Key word is offered!) I worked with her for a while till she started getting the hang of it. Unfortunately, a local master's group was also using the pool (it was a resort/sports club--they group seemed to be an ad-hoc group of guys swimming laps, no coach) and I ended up pretty much giving flip turn classes for a while. So even if your advice is well-received, it might not be a good idea unless you're in no hurry to leave the pool!

2014-04-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
Being a former golf professional I've been in this situation frequently on the practice tee. It's all in the delivery of your offer. Sometime just saying "want a quick tip?" Or "you know what really worked well for me when I had that problem?"

I would say most are appreciative of the offer.

P.S. I would love it someone offered advice to me on any triathlon discipline at the moment. I've only been doing it a year with no formal instruction. And I really appreciate any advice I receive.
2014-04-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Richland, Washington
Depends on the situation. I will usually start some small talk with them then ask how long they have been swimming. Usually, they will then ask how long I've been swimming, which leads to "Well, what do you think of my stroke" which leads to "It looks good, why don't you try this out it might make it easier"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » do you ever give unsolicited advice? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Ready to give up thoughts of doing my first Tri

Started by ndame88
Views: 1647 Posts: 17

2012-04-25 8:53 PM ndame88

Give unsolicited advice?

Started by DiOnMaui
Views: 1607 Posts: 21

2011-02-13 7:10 PM Paddy1

Giving in and doing drills

Started by nxm165
Views: 1814 Posts: 19

2010-03-01 12:37 PM TriMyBest

Unsolicited swimming advice worked today

Started by TriPatrick
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2009-10-21 7:47 PM TriPatrick

Unsolicited advice? Pages: 1 2

Started by neuronet
Views: 2430 Posts: 38

2009-09-03 3:18 PM neuronet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?