General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Milwaukee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-27 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Subject: Moving to Milwaukee
Hello Wisconsin!

I recently accepted a job offer in downtown Milwaukee (right next to Summerfest grounds and the art museum!) and will be moving over May 9. We will be meeting with a real estate agent the entire weekend, so we're really researching areas now. One question I have is where are good areas to hop on my bike for a long (30 or more miles) ride. We're currently looking at Bayview, Tosa and Shorewood areas and I know there is a lot of access to rail trails from those spots, but are any good for getting in those long ides?

Also, what's a good place for outdoor swims, knowing we're looking in those three neighborhoods? We both have full wetsuits and we're coming from Michigan, so cold water is nothing new.

Thanks for your help! We're REALLY excited for this move!

2014-04-28 10:37 AM
in reply to: gir1with1nose

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Subject: RE: Moving to Milwaukee
Welcome!!!!

I cannot speak much of Milwaukee riding or swimming, as I live in the NW corner of the region, but we do some rides out of New Berlin, Sussex, and the Holy Hill area (HILLS!!!).

Swims, I know a group gets together on a weekly basis to do swims in Lake Michigan. Personally, I find some of the smaller local lakes that aren't too full of the 'itch' and get my opportunity there!

Congrats on the move, you'll love the Milwaukee area, so much to offer!
2014-04-29 11:48 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
From Shorewood there is great biking north--I lived there for 12 years. Just follow along Lake Michigan all the way up to Port Washington for a nice ~50 mile ride, and stop at the cafe on the marina for a sandwich and Coke.

From Wauwatosa (aka Tosa) great riding is west--I live in Elm Grove, on Tosa's west border. From Tosa to the lakefront at Pewaukee Lake would be about 30 miles round trip, go around Pewaukee Lake to add another 12 miles or so. Lots of group rides leave from Wauwatosa. There are also nice railroad grade paved trails that you can take for many miles if you want to stay off the roads. http://www.waukeshacounty.gov/defaultwc.aspx?id=39532and http://www.glacialdrumlin.com/

For outdoor swimming there aren't very many pool options, but the outdoor pool at Hart Park in Tosa was redone a couple years ago and has lap swim. http://www.friendsofhoytpark.org/ Bonus is the beer garden that opened there a couple years ago (there is a beer garden in Shorewood too). There is also a group that swims in Lake Michigan regularly in Shorewood and Whitefish Bay. http://lakemichiganswimmers.blogspot.com/

Milwaukee is an awesome town to live in. You will like it here. Join www.triwisconsin.org and come to the workouts to meet fun people. We do workouts in quite a few locations around Milwaukee.

I'm a mortgage loan officer--send me a PM if I can be of help with financing your new home or if you need any connections related to your search!
2014-04-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: PeterAK

User image

Master
Ferndale, MI
Wow, great info...thanks you guys! I don't expect that many tris will happen this summer with moving and a trip to Alaska, but we're both super excited to explore the city and region and now I'm even way more excited! The thought of rolling out of my driveway for a 50 mile ride is heavenly!
2014-05-01 12:26 PM

User image

Milwaukee
Our masters group swims at Wilson Park pool on some days in the summer. It's outdoor and 50m.

If you join The WAC at any point, the Menomonee Falls one has a outside lap pool as well. On a side note, the Downtown WAC is probably walking distance from the museum.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Milwaukee Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Marathon Decision! (Also moving to Milwaukee)

Started by smilford
Views: 2252 Posts: 25

2012-03-12 9:13 AM smilford

Milwaukee Lakefront Discovery Run , 15 & 5K ? Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by RaytownPete
Views: 5785 Posts: 186

2007-10-29 7:41 AM RaytownPete

Hank Aaron State Trail- Milwaukee

Started by jasonbohn9
Views: 1025 Posts: 2

2013-06-25 8:36 PM kvhmke

safe place in milwaukee to lock bike

Started by badgerfan
Views: 836 Posts: 3

2007-06-27 10:38 AM PhilE

Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

Started by PhilE
Views: 1065 Posts: 11

2007-07-06 7:05 AM DeannaS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.