2014-04-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Donald Sterling and the Clippers

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

It is a bad idea to p*ss off a woman.

I'm convinced she was dating him for the money.  

2014-04-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

There is not a single person involved in that deal who lives in the real world......it means nothing.

2014-04-28 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

I'm convinced she was dating him for the money.  

I'm convinced she's Kobe Bryant in drag. NTTAWWT
2014-04-28 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by tuwood

I'm convinced she was dating him for the money.   :)

Wow.  Yes, let's focus on her.  She's definitely the one in the wrong.

2014-04-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP
<form id="qas_dfp_frm" style="display: none;" action="" method="get" name="qas_dfp_frm" target="">

From HuffPo:

Obama cast the comments through a broader prism of racism in America, adding that "we constantly have to be on guard on racial attitudes that divide us rather than embracing our diversity as a strength."

"The United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation, that's still there, the vestiges of discrimination," Obama said during a news conference in Malaysia, where he was traveling.

"We've made enormous strides, but you're going to continue to see this percolate up every so often," he added. "And I think that we just have to be clear and steady in denouncing it, teaching our children differently, but also remaining hopeful that part of why statements like this stand out some much is because there has been this shift in how we view ourselves."

Obama said he's confident NBA Commissioner Adam Silver will address the matter. He said the NBA has "an awful lot of African American players, it's steeped in African American culture. And I suspect that the NBA is going to be deeply concerned in resolving this."

Edited by switch 2014-04-28 4:22 PM
2014-04-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Left Brain

There is not a single person involved in that deal who lives in the real world......it means nothing.

"This is bad for everybody.  This is bad for America." --Magic Johnson

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_25648389/magic-sterling-shouldnt-own-team-anymore

2014-04-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

Originally posted by switch

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_25648389/magic-sterling-shouldnt-own-team-anymore

Except that no, it's not.  It means nothing. It changes nothing.  There are plenty of sports personalities, both black and white, saying it doesn't affect their life one bit.

He's a crazy old kook, with a nutty mistress, a batty ex wife, and a big mouth.  They're everywhere.  They're only bad for America if anyone pays attention.  And if anyone is paying attention to this goofball......then carry on.  LOL

2014-04-28 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

While he may be right, I have a hard time taking anything that Magic has to say on this at face value. He has reportedly already been shot down trying to buy the Lakers and has said that he would buy the Clippers. Sterling not being allowed to own a team would work out rather well for Magic.
2014-04-28 7:47 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Pro

Originally posted by uclamatt2007

While he may be right, I have a hard time taking anything that Magic has to say on this at face value. He has reportedly already been shot down trying to buy the Lakers and has said that he would buy the Clippers. Sterling not being allowed to own a team would work out rather well for Magic.

That's the deal with this stupidity......everybody involved has a motive.  That's what you get when billions of dollars are in play......nobody involved is pure in their thoughts or motives.  It says nothing about anything except greed.

2014-04-29 7:29 AM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yes, it could work out well for Magic, but he's certainly not the only person making statements like this.

It would suck to be a Clippers player as long as Sterling owns the team. I thought the Heat's ditching their jerseys was a good call.

A lot of people believe Silver will handle it well. I guess we'll see this afternoon.

2014-04-29 7:44 AM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether

A lesson most men seem to know yet fail to heed frequently!
2014-04-29 7:59 AM
in reply to: trinnas

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Not to highjack the thread, but, "Obama cast the comments through a broader prism of racism in America, adding that "we constantly have to be on guard on racial attitudes that divide us rather than embracing our diversity as a strength.", I wish Obama could figure out a way to relate his comment to politics and get some good stuff done.  Maybe change out racial attitudes to political attitudes.   Hmmmmm.  But why would we believe the "Great Divider" would ever be for bringing people together.

2014-04-29 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yes, it could work out well for Magic, but he's certainly not the only person making statements like this.

It would suck to be a Clippers player as long as Sterling owns the team. I thought the Heat's ditching their jerseys was a good call.

A lot of people believe Silver will handle it well. I guess we'll see this afternoon.

Strong work Adam Silver.
2014-04-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

I would agree on the superficial level, but unfortunately, there are plenty of people on the real life level that think and act that way.
I have had to counsel their children.

I am glad there is a focus on the owner and no large boycotts.

I would hate to see people who do live in the real world... like the foodservers or valets working for tips a few blocks from the next game, feel real-world financial pain as a result.

2014-04-30 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
2014-04-30 8:51 AM

User image

<form id="qas_dfp_frm" style="display: none;" action="" method="get" name="qas_dfp_frm" target="">

From HuffPo:

Obama cast the comments through a broader prism of racism in America, adding that "we constantly have to be on guard on racial attitudes that divide us rather than embracing our diversity as a strength."

"The United States continues to wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery and segregation, that's still there, the vestiges of discrimination," Obama said during a news conference in Malaysia, where he was traveling.

"We've made enormous strides, but you're going to continue to see this percolate up every so often," he added. "And I think that we just have to be clear and steady in denouncing it, teaching our children differently, but also remaining hopeful that part of why statements like this stand out some much is because there has been this shift in how we view ourselves."

Obama said he's confident NBA Commissioner Adam Silver will address the matter. He said the NBA has "an awful lot of African American players, it's steeped in African American culture. And I suspect that the NBA is going to be deeply concerned in resolving this."

If the President has to stretch as far as a private domestic argument for an example of how we all wrestle with the legacy of race and slavery then I think we have come quite a long way in that department.
2014-04-30 11:44 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
The best comments I've heard from anybody about this issue came from (to me) a sort of unlikely source, given that I don't often agree with him. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did a pretty good job of ripping both sides-- all sides, actually-- of this case. He calls out Sterling, of course, but he has pretty choice words for the NAACP and Al Sharpton, Sterling's mistress, the press, the league, everyone.

The whole article is here:
http://time.com/#79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

But here are a few choice excerpts:
What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

And:
Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime.

Lastly:
So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Donald Sterling and the Clippers Rss Feed