United States
Onurmark Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m 29s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/69
Pre-race routine:

Up really freaking early (4:15) because we had to be out of transition by 5:30 and the boat was leaving at 6. Koby and I met in the hotel lobby and drove over to the race site and Kylie and the kids and Sara would follow later. Got transition set up with no problems and over to the boat. Looked around and couldn't find Koby and didn't meet up with him again until we were on the boat.
Event warmup:

No warm up to speak of. We rode out on the big paddle wheel boat and Koby and I were on the top (3rd) deck. It was chilly and overcast on the ride out and the swell was big. The only nice thing was that once we were out there the swim course did not look that long.
Swim
  • 45m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was HORRIBLE! To start, I was in the last 15 or so people to jump off the boat into the water. This was not the plan but we kinda got caught in a bottle neck trying to get down to the bow. Jumped off the bow, started swimming and within the first 50 meters had an absolute freak out moment. Started hyperventilating, kicking my feet a million miles an hour to stay afloat, not sure what to do. Finally talked myself through it, got calmed down and started trying something that resembled swimming. Seriously considered getting on a boat and calling it quits. One of my first thoughts was "I guess I can cross IMFL off of my list of potential races!"

After the freak out I just tried my best to swim and time my breathing and sighting with the cresting of the waves. The problem is that I had to breath every other stroke instead of bilateral and when I breath to one side it has to be my left as I'm stronger that way. The waves were coming from behind and left so I was getting smacked with a bunch of them. Had trouble sighting the whole way but somehow made it from the boat to shore without dyeing.
What would you do differently?:

Swim better? I only swam twice in the last 6 months so that may have had something to do with it but I really just think that I had a hard time because of the swells.
Transition 1
  • 04m 48s
Comments:

Long run from swim out to transition. Had a hard time getting the zipper on the wetsuit down so the nice volunteer helped me and then yanked the suit off. Not sure what else too so long here!
Bike
  • 1h 35m 42s
  • 40 kms
  • 25.08 km/hr
Comments:

15.5 mph avg. but Garmin had the course a little short making the avg 15.1. Headed out of transition for a short <1 mile ride north and then turned south for a good long while with a STRONG 20 mph sustained headwind. The wind sucked, not much else to say. Finally made a right hand turn for a short out and back with a cross wind before the glorious tail wind headed back north to transition. With the tail wind I was 24-26 most of the time with a max of 37 coming down the one small causeway we had to cross. I had a good time on the bike because even when the headwind was horrible I knew that we would have a great tail wind coming back.

The 100mm race wheels might not have been the best choice today. It was white knuckle riding at times just trying to stay vertical!
What would you do differently?:

Ride more
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes before the dismount and had an easy transition. I stopped off at the port o can in t2 because I really had to pee and knew I couldn't make it through the run without going. Had a little bit of a tough time at first because I wasn't sure where the run out was but after locating it I was on my way.
Run
  • 1h 03m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

10:16 min/mile avg according to race results but Garmin had the course at 6.09 miles making the avg 10:29. This was a great run for me! My goal was to average <10:30 pace and I barely made it but I did it. The first two miles my calves were REALLY tight but they finally loosened up. I typically run 9 min walk 1 but for this race I decided to run aid station to aid station and walk long enough to get fluids in and then keep going. Pace was good the whole first loop. The section along the Kemah boardwalk was cool. On lap two I still felt good. I really wanted to pick up the pace a lot the last mile but by then I was pretty tired and slowed some. Overall I am really happy with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

After grabbing my finishers medal I took off my shoes thinking about standing in the ice bath for a minute. After putting one foot in I scrapped that idea quick! Grabbed some food and drinks and headed to meet the family waiting for Koby to finish. Got back to the hotel, showered quick and headed home to nap before having to work.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Event comments:

Great venue and great race! Lots of great volunteers. The only thing that would keep me from doing this race again would be the rough swim.

Last updated: 2014-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:40 | 1500 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Boat start with straight 1500 meter course to shore.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:35:42 | 40 kms | 25.08 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:40 | 10 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-29 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-04-30 7:15 AM
in reply to: #4989372

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

Good job out there.  Always a tough swim but the ride back in makes it worth it.

2014-04-30 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4989372

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Kemah Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by JAngell
Views: 1088 Posts: 1

2012-05-01 10:44 AM JAngell

Started by pstephan
Views: 1101 Posts: 2

2012-05-01 10:36 AM uhcoog

Started by Fmode11
Views: 1089 Posts: 1

2012-05-01 9:45 AM Fmode11

Started by uhcoog
Views: 1432 Posts: 6

2012-05-01 8:46 PM dblbogy

Started by deweylittle
Views: 1185 Posts: 3

2012-05-01 9:51 AM JAngell
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.