General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Muleshoe Bend Off Road Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-13 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Whites Creek, Tennessee
Subject: XTERRA Muleshoe Bend Off Road Triathlon : Official Thread
Alright XTERRA pros (or folks who have done one before), I need some good tips / info on the Muleshoe course, what's it like, how much climbing, will I lose my teeth going endo? Cool things like that. I'm a road triathlete giving it a go for my first time off road, I know I'll have the best time of my life with spandex on, but what else?

And hope to meet up with anyone there!

2014-05-14 5:21 PM
in reply to: brazee

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: XTERRA Muleshoe Bend Off Road Triathlon : Official Thread

I'll be doing this race as well though I've never been there before.  AustinBike.com has some info on the trails at Muleshoe bend with photos and a shaky video:

http://www.austinbike.com/west-of-austin/115-muleshoe-bend

My advice is to make sure you get out there at least the day before and pre-ride the course.  I don't know how comfortable you are on the mountain bike but while pre-riding keep an eye out for good spots to pass, technical sections where once you bobble it may be faster to run, and simply how fast you can go while still keeping the rubber side down.

For the race itself the swim should be just like any other swim.  I'd say that many of the folks doing XTERRAs are strongest on the mountain bike so depending on when you come out of the water and how good your mountain bike skills are you may find yourself getting passed or trying to pass people.  I'm pretty slow on the swim and spend most of the bike trying to catch people to pass.  Passing is pretty easy you simply let the person in front know you want to pass and wait for a spot that you can squeeze by "on the left" or possibly "on the right".  If someone wants to pass you just make a little room and hold your line.  I wouldn't say I'm a fast runner but judging by my splits it seems to be my strongest leg.  I think people burn most of their energy on the bike and forget to save some for the run.  It is quite common to see folks walking up the hills, and on some courses you may find yourself doing more "scrambling" than running.  My strategy is usually just to keep a slow "jog" up hills and let my legs carry me on the downhills.  Watch your footing and keep moving and you'll do great on the run providing you still have some in the tank.

I've never done any road triathlons but XTERRAs are pretty laid back.  I'd get there the day before pre-ride, camp out and meet some people.  After the race hang around and share some stories about how much fun you just had.

2014-05-20 3:43 PM
in reply to: sbohrer

User image

Regular
Whites Creek, Tennessee
Subject: RE: XTERRA Muleshoe Bend Off Road Triathlon : Official Thread
Shawn,

Thanks for the info and read your two race reports from this year, was going to race both but got overtaken by events, but am planning on Muleshoe Bend!

Again, thanks for the pointers and I hope I can get out and pre-ride the course

Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XTERRA Muleshoe Bend Off Road Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Capt'n Karl's Colorado Bend 30k : Official Thread

Started by djastroman
Views: 1098 Posts: 1

2013-08-01 10:58 AM djastroman

Xterra - Off-road Triathlon training group forming in NW Houston

Started by cycleologist
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2011-03-17 2:44 PM cycleologist

taking things off-road Xterra anyone?

Started by cycleologist
Views: 1558 Posts: 8

2010-04-28 1:39 PM randym95

Muleshoe Xterra Tri

Started by randym95
Views: 2234 Posts: 14

2010-04-19 3:26 PM randym95

Official Bridgeland Triathlon thread.....(maybe not official) Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by Houstonrider
Views: 6662 Posts: 125

2009-08-13 3:04 PM firefighterwes
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
comments : 1
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.