General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing IM speed: experience or training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-21 5:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Developing IM speed: experience or training?
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by zedzded
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by zedzded

I do have a problem with people that rock up to an IM with little training under their belt and the wrong attitude.

Here's the thing.  It's your problem.  Not theirs.  You've made an arbitrary decision about what is right and wrong and imposed that framework on others.  It's not their problem (nor should it be thier concern) that they don't fit into your framework.

It's not arbitrary. Australia is one of the fattest countries in the world, we have a childhood obesity epidemic, a contributory factor is the health and fitness industry and how society praises and rewards people despite them putting in little effort. e.g you're 25kg overweight, very unfit, did little to no training but yay you're an Ironman, you're incredible, well done!! Is this the impetus the person needs to get fitter? No of course not, they've realised they can achieve something and put in minimal effort. Why should I care, well there are wider implications. My children have to grow up in this society, they're trying to implement systems for school sports such as football where scores aren't kept, neither sides lose, eliminating or minimizing competitive races, instead having sports events where there is no winner and there is no loser. This does not prepare children for life. You need to learn how to lose, you need to learn how to fail. You need to learn that to achieve things in life you need to put in effort. It's not healthy for someone to be dragged up Mount Everest and claim they climbed it. It's not healthy, because this kind of attitude ultimately begins to permeate the fabric of our society. People that get dragged up Everest and claim they climbed it, should be ridiculed and used as an example of how not to live your life.

It's very clearly arbitrary.  And if you're still not sure, re-read your last sentence a few times and think it over.  You may have a reasonable point to make, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's an arbitrary line you've drawn.  Also, as an aside, ridiculing others seems a peculiar way to achieve the societal goals you appear to have.

Yeah that was a poor word to use. I know what I want to say, but not smart enough to articulate it

Edited by zedzded 2014-05-21 5:43 PM

2014-05-27 1:15 PM
in reply to: Dnn

Veteran
Vicksburg
Dont sweat time for your first IM, just have fun. If your training partners aren't veterns I am guessing not many will actually make 10:30. There is a lot that can go wrong in an IM, and setting an unrealistic bike time is most folks mistake.
2014-05-27 1:21 PM
in reply to: peewee

User image

New user
penticton
at the ironman distance, speed should be the lest of your concern. It s a very simple event to get ready for...focus on overall fitness.

Even the guy going under 9h arent focusing much on speed.... it s all about increasing general fitness
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing IM speed: experience or training? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Peak training hours for an IM: experience rquested

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1162 Posts: 14

2012-02-17 4:40 AM thecouch

Help me develop HIM training schedule Pages: 1 2

Started by Showtime32
Views: 2131 Posts: 28

2011-10-27 2:39 PM jimmy3993

high speed wobble - experiences and how to get over being "speed shy"

Started by drgary
Views: 2941 Posts: 12

2011-05-03 6:28 PM drgary

road vs tri bike--training in developing country

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 682 Posts: 3

2010-10-15 9:59 PM TriAya

Training Speed vs. Taper Speed

Started by ewricha
Views: 1585 Posts: 11

2009-02-22 9:45 PM aarondavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.