General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing IM speed: experience or training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-19 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: Developing IM speed: experience or training?
Sorry for the terrible title, I couldn't think of anything clever that used less words.

This is my second season doing triathlon and I am signed up for an IM in August. By then I will have done two sprints and two 70.3's. I recently joined a triathlon club and after talking to some of the guys, I got to wondering about my own IM expectations and my speed.

My goal from the start was sub-12 hours. Realistically I am now looking at 11:30:00, give or take. 11:00:00 if the weather is fine, but anything faster is unrealistic due to my hopelessly average bike speed. I don't know if my club just has many fast guys, but almost everyone I talked to finished, or want to finish, their first IM considerably faster. Excluding the one guy who did his first IM in 8:40:00 (yep, 8:40 in his first IM... crazy), everyone is aiming for sub 10, or at least around 10:30:00. It got me wondering: is getting experience through a couple of slow'ish IM's preferable to training harder and then completing your first in a respectable time?

I thought completing an ironman was tough in itself, but now I'm getting somewhat self-conscious about my speed... and getting the tattoo is definitely off the table, haha :p

Gotta get faster on that damn bike! Curse my skinny runner's legs.

2014-05-19 10:59 AM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Developing IM speed: experience or training?

Originally posted by Dnn  It got me wondering: is getting experience through a couple of slow'ish IM's preferable to training harder and then completing your first in a respectable time?

I'm not sure how to say what is "preferable" (let alone what a "respectable" time would be) since that depends on your goals and what you want out of the experience.

But, if your goal is to get substantially faster than your current expectation of 11-11:30, then doing more IMs is probably not your best path (not that it can't work, though).  Do more short races where you can really work on boosting your threshold paces.  Once you have the "capability" to go as fast as you would like, then you can work on the full endurance and execution skills of the IM distance.

2014-05-19 11:02 AM

If you were an American, you would get that tattoo even if you finished with 30 seconds to spare, and even if the swim portion was cut short so you have an asterisk by the IM finish time -- with 30 seconds to spare.

IM is grueling to train for. I say go for it first time as you never know when life will keep you from doing the next.
2014-05-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

forget the time for now. Embrace the process. As you train and get closer a finish time will get into your head, but in an event that long you don't really know what will happen until the rubber meets the road. Focus on the execution of your race, and the time will come to you.

2014-05-19 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Well, you can't just forget about time altogether, but you shouldn't dwell on other people's numbers either.  JK had some good thoughts above...you really need to figure out what you want out of this whole adventure.  As you mentioned, the thread title might not be the best because IM and "speed" don't necessarily go together.  Your IM splits won't be faster than you have (or should anyway) experienced in training.  I love racing as part of training as much as anyone but you also need to build great bike fitness in training so that you can come off the bike in your IM and be prepared to run.  So, don't just focus on what speeds you need for your IM splits in order to achieve a goal time but also focus on what training you will need to do in order to achieve the swim, then the bike, and finish the run strongly instead of a death march.  If you focus your training only on IM split speeds (i.e. if you don't exceed those in training) you will be in for a verrrrrrry long day come race time. 

2014-05-19 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by Dnn Sorry for the terrible title, I couldn't think of anything clever that used less words. This is my second season doing triathlon and I am signed up for an IM in August. By then I will have done two sprints and two 70.3's. I recently joined a triathlon club and after talking to some of the guys, I got to wondering about my own IM expectations and my speed. My goal from the start was sub-12 hours. Realistically I am now looking at 11:30:00, give or take. 11:00:00 if the weather is fine, but anything faster is unrealistic due to my hopelessly average bike speed. I don't know if my club just has many fast guys, but almost everyone I talked to finished, or want to finish, their first IM considerably faster. Excluding the one guy who did his first IM in 8:40:00 (yep, 8:40 in his first IM... crazy), everyone is aiming for sub 10, or at least around 10:30:00. It got me wondering: is getting experience through a couple of slow'ish IM's preferable to training harder and then completing your first in a respectable time? I thought completing an ironman was tough in itself, but now I'm getting somewhat self-conscious about my speed... and getting the tattoo is definitely off the table, haha :p Gotta get faster on that damn bike! Curse my skinny runner's legs.

There is always someone faster... and someone slower. 

Developing speed is training with some genetics thrown in. 

To know if your goal was realistic or not, I'd have to look at your past races, your training, etc. Maybe it is? Maybe it isn't. But yeah, if you are doing a 17 mph average in training, busting out a 21 mph average on race day probably isn't going to happen. 

Skinny legs have nothing to do with it. Have you see the cycling pro's who do distance? They are sticks! 

Good luck!  

2014-05-19 12:24 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I am not a vet of IM so this is just an opinion based on no experience.

My goal for my first (1 month away) is to finish. My next goal is to finish well, I want to feel that I executed well, that my training was enough to get me comfortably to the line, and I want to have a great time. I want to feel like I left it all out there, but I don't want that feeling to be at the beginning of the marathon.

My final goal that I only say to myself is to finish below a certain time. It is not so much a goal as a "that would be awesome" icing on the cake sort of thing. I think my first paragraph will be enough for me to be happy with for my first IM, as I have zero idea of what to expect and how a full IM will go.

All that said, IM is expensive and time consuming. I will decide after this race if I will do another. But if I do another there will be a firm time goal in mind, and I will not sign up until I feel I can get to that time goal. I am ok with finishing and finishing well for my first. But I will not keep doing IM just to finish. Any subsequent IM's will be very goal oriented. Realistically for me that means I probably will not do another for 2-3 years. I have never been and still do not feel like a "runner". I want 2-3 years of solid running behind me (without injury) before I will take on the time and money cost of an IM again.

So for you OP, first, don't set your goals based on other people, take a realistic look at your own level and get a time based on that. Keep the time in the back of your mind if you want, but don't focus on it, don't beat yourself up if you are off the pace. The last thing you want to do is be off the pace on the bike, hammer too hard then have a sub-par run.

2014-05-19 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Focusing on your overall time I feel is a mistake especially for your first IM. You seem to have seriously fast friends but that is not the norm. Most folks don't execute their first IM perfectly and leave time on the table due to pacing and/or nutrition mistakes.

What was your 70.3 splits? What course? What IM are you doing?

Most folks are hour slower if you take your 70.3 double it if on a similar type course...slower folks more than an hour and faster maybe less.

Enjoy the journey and let speed and time fall where it will. You will learn during this IM training and racing cycle and use that going forward to see what is best way to train going forward. Many folks jump right into IM training when spending a few years building up distance is a better way to develop as a triathlete but most people don't want to wait but go straight to an IM.

Only you know what will be satisfying to you.

Training harder is not necessarily answer to be faster but consistency over time. 2 years of racing is not much unless you were runner, bike racer or swimmer in the past.

2014-05-19 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Getting to the finish line in 12 hours requires that you get to the start line healthy enough to realistically do the race that fast.  Same goes for doing it in 11 or 10 hours.  

You're 2-3 months away from your race.  If you want to go 3-5 km/hr faster than you're realistically expecting right now, you'll need to train more aggressively which SIGNIFICANTLY increases your chance of injury.  Only you can decide if going faster is worth the extra risk of not even starting the race or limping through a 15-hour day.  Don't expect to miraculously find that additional speed...

Be careful with goal creep...you started out thinking <12:00 was something you could achieve with proper training.  A good training day opens the mind to modifying that goal...maybe 11:30 instead of 11:58...Unfortunately, a single training day may not be a good measure of race-day performance, particularly if you're focused on the one awesome day and not the 16 other days around it that weren't nearly so good.  

An IM race is an expensive commitment for both cash and time.  If you have enjoyed training for this one and get to the start line still excited for what you've done, consider hiring a coach to develop a training plan to get you as fast as your peers.  

2014-05-19 4:48 PM
in reply to: gotbitten

User image

Originally posted by gotbitten If you were an American, you would get that tattoo even if you finished with 30 seconds to spare, and even if the swim portion was cut short so you have an asterisk by the IM finish time -- with 30 seconds to spare. IM is grueling to train for. I say go for it first time as you never know when life will keep you from doing the next.

Not looking to "start something", but at what finish time would it be ok to get a tattoo?  Why wouldn't finishing in the allotted time make it ok?  Why would it even matter if you finished 1sec ahead of the allotted time; isn't that still considered finishing within the rules of the race?  This has nothing to do with me personally as I don't see myself ever doing an IM due to the amount of training required...  Just curious.

2014-05-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by dbrook1

Originally posted by gotbitten If you were an American, you would get that tattoo even if you finished with 30 seconds to spare, and even if the swim portion was cut short so you have an asterisk by the IM finish time -- with 30 seconds to spare. IM is grueling to train for. I say go for it first time as you never know when life will keep you from doing the next.

Not looking to "start something", but at what finish time would it be ok to get a tattoo?  Why wouldn't finishing in the allotted time make it ok?  Why would it even matter if you finished 1sec ahead of the allotted time; isn't that still considered finishing within the rules of the race?  This has nothing to do with me personally as I don't see myself ever doing an IM due to the amount of training required...  Just curious.

For me it comes down to this trend towards people seeking reward, recognition and praise without putting in much effort. i.e a colleague recently did a IM, she's overweight and pretty out of shape. She normally comes last in sprint triathlons. Anyway she did little relevant training for the IM, any training done was half-arsed, but she did it just under 17 hours then told the whole world about it, plastered photos all over her wall at work, Facebook photos coupled with the ubiquitous sycophantic praise etc etc She did no work, yet wanted all the slaps on the back. She swam the entire swim leg breaststroke and walked the entire run leg......

Now I don't have a problem with someone who only just makes the cut off, but do you really have to tell all and sundry about your "achievement" especially when your training regime has been crap and you've gone into the race 15kgs overweight and pretty unfit.

Edited by zedzded 2014-05-19 8:09 PM

2014-05-19 8:21 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Originally posted by zedzded

For me it comes down to this trend towards people seeking reward, recognition and praise without putting in much effort. i.e a colleague recently did a IM, she's overweight and pretty out of shape. She normally comes last in sprint triathlons. Anyway she did little relevant training for the IM, any training done was half-arsed, but she did it just under 17 hours then told the whole world about it, plastered photos all over her wall at work, Facebook photos coupled with the ubiquitous sycophantic praise etc etc She did no work, yet wanted all the slaps on the back. She swam the entire swim leg breaststroke and walked the entire run leg......

Now I don't have a problem with someone who only just makes the cut off, but do you really have to tell all and sundry about your "achievement" especially when your training regime has been crap and you've gone into the race 15kgs overweight and pretty unfit.

See, this I don't get. People do IM for different reasons and with different motivation. What you call "irrelevant half-arsed training" might have been very challenging for her.

IM and triathlon in general is an individual endeavor at our level; we don't get to define what is for other people, only for ourselves.
2014-05-19 8:33 PM

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

See, this I don't get. People do IM for different reasons and with different motivation. What you call "irrelevant half-arsed training" might have been very challenging for her.

IM and triathlon in general is an individual endeavor at our level; we don't get to define what is for other people, only for ourselves.

Look she pretty much didn't train for an Ironman event, went out, swam the swim leg breaststroke, walked the entire run leg then told anyone that crossed her path that she was an Ironman, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm a happy, positive, uncynical person, but I have a problem with this attitude. It reminds me of that US journalist who 'climbed' Everest with virtually no climbing experience. When I say climbed, she was actually tethered to 3 Sherpa's who pretty much dragged her up the mountain, as well as carrying all her gear. Obviously after she summited the whole world heard about how she had "climbed" Everest. I'm sure there are people out there that thinks she actually really did climb Everest and achieved something, I don't, maybe you do?

Edited by zedzded 2014-05-19 8:41 PM
2014-05-19 8:40 PM

User image

Pro

For me it comes down to this trend towards people seeking reward, recognition and praise without putting in much effort. i.e a colleague recently did a IM, she's overweight and pretty out of shape. She normally comes last in sprint triathlons. Anyway she did little relevant training for the IM, any training done was half-arsed, but she did it just under 17 hours then told the whole world about it, plastered photos all over her wall at work, Facebook photos coupled with the ubiquitous sycophantic praise etc etc She did no work, yet wanted all the slaps on the back. She swam the entire swim leg breaststroke and walked the entire run leg...... Now I don't have a problem with someone who only just makes the cut off, but do you really have to tell all and sundry about your "achievement" especially when your training regime has been crap and you've gone into the race 15kgs overweight and pretty unfit.
See, this I don't get. People do IM for different reasons and with different motivation. What you call "irrelevant half-arsed training" might have been very challenging for her. IM and triathlon in general is an individual endeavor at our level; we don't get to define what is for other people, only for ourselves.
Look she pretty much didn't train for an Ironman event, went out, swam the swim leg breaststroke, walked the entire run leg then told anyone that crossed her path that she was an Ironman, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm a happy, positive, uncynical person, but I have a problem with people like this. It reminds me of that US journalist who 'climbed' Everest with virtually no climbing experience. When I say climbed, she was actually tethered to 3 Sherpa's who pretty much dragged her up the  mountain, as well as carrying all her gear. Obviously after she summited the whole world heard about how she had "climbed" Everest. I'm sure there are people out there that thinks she achieved something, I don't, maybe you do?

I don't know dude.....anyone who can breaststroke for 2.4 miles, coast along on the bike for 112 miles, and then walk 26.2 miles has my respect......I'd be so bored I'd be looking for a tree and a rope. 

Seriously, different stroke, huh?  I have NO desire to do an IM in that fashion, and I DO respect the people who can.  I don't want to do anything for 17 hours straight.

2014-05-19 8:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

I don't know dude.....anyone who can breaststroke for 2.4 miles, coast along on the bike for 112 miles, and then walk 26.2 miles has my respect......I'd be so bored I'd be looking for a tree and a rope. 

Seriously, different stroke, huh?  I have NO desire to do an IM in that fashion, and I DO respect the people who can.  I don't want to do anything for 17 hours straight.

Ha ha yeah I agree. Walking for 42kms would be mind numbingly boring.
2014-05-19 8:46 PM

User image

Look she pretty much didn't train for an Ironman event, went out, swam the swim leg breaststroke, walked the entire run leg then told anyone that crossed her path that she was an Ironman, yadda, yadda, yadda, I'm a happy, positive, uncynical person, but I have a problem with this attitude. It reminds me of that US journalist who 'climbed' Everest with virtually no climbing experience. When I say climbed, she was actually tethered to 3 Sherpa's who pretty much dragged her up the mountain, as well as carrying all her gear. Obviously after she summited the whole world heard about how she had "climbed" Everest. I'm sure there are people out there that thinks she actually really did climb Everest and achieved something, I don't, maybe you do?

I don't find that kind of IM experience all that impressive either, but that's not the point-- I don't really care what others think of what I do, and I don't care if she thinks she's accomplished something. Where do you draw the line? If someone works really hard and the best they can ever do is just under 17 hours, do they get to call themselves an IM? What about the athletic person who barely trains but still finishes in 12 hours? I haven't done anything close to IM yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I shouldn't be out there finishing a sprint in over 90 minutes or a marathon in over 4 hours. Oh, well. I do it for me.

And don't get me started on Everest.

2014-05-19 8:55 PM

I don't find that kind of IM experience all that impressive either, but that's not the point-- I don't really care what others think of what I do, and I don't care if she thinks she's accomplished something. Where do you draw the line? If someone works really hard and the best they can ever do is just under 17 hours, do they get to call themselves an IM? What about the athletic person who barely trains but still finishes in 12 hours? I haven't done anything close to IM yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I shouldn't be out there finishing a sprint in over 90 minutes or a marathon in over 4 hours. Oh, well. I do it for me.

And don't get me started on Everest.

I totally get what you're saying, I'm struggling to articulate my point without sounding elitist or sounding as though I have a problem with people only just making the cut off. Because I don't. The best I can come up with is the Everest analogy, I'm sure there's someone out there smarter than me that can explain it a bit better!

Incidentally I think it's fantastic when you see people new to triathlons, doing a sprint on their old mountain bike, wearing their old bathers. I do have a problem with people that rock up to an IM with little training under their belt and the wrong attitude.

Edited by zedzded 2014-05-19 9:02 PM
2014-05-19 8:59 PM

User image

OP:  I wouldn't worry so much about finishing time...especially comparing yourself to others.  For an IM, you basically go out there and do what you can do.  You can't will yourself to a 11 hour finish...you either have the fitness (along with weather cooperating) or you don't.  Chasing the clock is a recipe for disaster.

That said, you better finish well before 17 hours otherwise you'll get no respect from your colleagues.  

2014-05-19 9:26 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

All you tattoo people need to get your own thread...

As for the OP, a finishing time is not a goal, it is an outcome. Goals are things within your control, and in long course racing you should really focus on the things you can control, and not worry about the things you can't. Funny thing is that if you do the first really well, the latter usually works out satisfactorily also. 

2014-05-20 9:24 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I do have a problem with people that rock up to an IM with little training under their belt and the wrong attitude.

Here's the thing.  It's your problem.  Not theirs.  You've made an arbitrary decision about what is right and wrong and imposed that framework on others.  It's not their problem (nor should it be thier concern) that they don't fit into your framework.

2014-05-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by TankBoy

All you tattoo people need to get your own thread...

As for the OP, a finishing time is not a goal, it is an outcome. Goals are things within your control, and in long course racing you should really focus on the things you can control, and not worry about the things you can't. Funny thing is that if you do the first really well, the latter usually works out satisfactorily also. 

If I want to finish an IM in less than 12 hours, I can train specifically to achieve that goal.  I can plan out what I'll need for S/T1/B/T2/R splits and I can train to achieve those outcomes.  Do I hit these outcomes in the race?  Maybe, maybe not.  I don't get credit for hypothetical finishes.  This is my goal for B2B this fall, and to achieve that I know I'll need to swim around 1:10, bike around 6:00, and run around 4:30 with 20 minutes for T1 & T2 together.  I know that my long rides need to support averaging 18.6-19 mph for 112 miles and slacking those rides at 17.5 mph won't get me what I want.  (I'm not knocking 17.5 mph averages, just that they won't get *me* what *I* want.)  Even if I've hit the training paces I expect, there isn't a guarantee that I can hit it during the race.  Weather, mechanical, etc. can affect the outcome, but I'd be disappointed if I weren't prepared to take advantage of "perfect" race conditions.  

Setting a goal of "top-3" or "top-25%" puts me at risk of who else shows up and how they perform, which I cannot control.  I don't set those kinds of goals.  

2014-05-20 10:27 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I do have a problem with people that rock up to an IM with little training under their belt and the wrong attitude.

Here's the thing.  It's your problem.  Not theirs.  You've made an arbitrary decision about what is right and wrong and imposed that framework on others.  It's not their problem (nor should it be thier concern) that they don't fit into your framework.

It's not arbitrary. Australia is one of the fattest countries in the world, we have a childhood obesity epidemic, a contributory factor is the health and fitness industry and how society praises and rewards people despite them putting in little effort. e.g you're 25kg overweight, very unfit, did little to no training but yay you're an Ironman, you're incredible, well done!! Is this the impetus the person needs to get fitter? No of course not, they've realised they can achieve something and put in minimal effort.

Why should I care, well there are wider implications. My children have to grow up in this society, they're trying to implement systems for school sports such as football where scores aren't kept, neither sides lose, eliminating or minimizing competitive races, instead having sports events where there is no winner and there is no loser. This does not prepare children for life. You need to learn how to lose, you need to learn how to fail. You need to learn that to achieve things in life you need to put in effort. It's not healthy for someone to be dragged up Mount Everest and claim they climbed it. It's not healthy, because this kind of attitude ultimately begins to permeate the fabric of our society. People that get dragged up Everest and claim they climbed it, should be ridiculed and used as an example of how not to live your life.
2014-05-21 11:08 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

It's not arbitrary. Australia is one of the fattest countries in the world, we have a childhood obesity epidemic, a contributory factor is the health and fitness industry and how society praises and rewards people despite them putting in little effort. e.g you're 25kg overweight, very unfit, did little to no training but yay you're an Ironman, you're incredible, well done!! Is this the impetus the person needs to get fitter? No of course not, they've realised they can achieve something and put in minimal effort. Why should I care, well there are wider implications. My children have to grow up in this society, they're trying to implement systems for school sports such as football where scores aren't kept, neither sides lose, eliminating or minimizing competitive races, instead having sports events where there is no winner and there is no loser. This does not prepare children for life. You need to learn how to lose, you need to learn how to fail. You need to learn that to achieve things in life you need to put in effort. It's not healthy for someone to be dragged up Mount Everest and claim they climbed it. It's not healthy, because this kind of attitude ultimately begins to permeate the fabric of our society. People that get dragged up Everest and claim they climbed it, should be ridiculed and used as an example of how not to live your life.

It's very clearly arbitrary.  And if you're still not sure, re-read your last sentence a few times and think it over.  You may have a reasonable point to make, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's an arbitrary line you've drawn.  Also, as an aside, ridiculing others seems a peculiar way to achieve the societal goals you appear to have.

2014-05-21 2:18 PM

Originally posted by Dnn

Sorry for the terrible title, I couldn't think of anything clever that used less words.

This is my second season doing triathlon and I am signed up for an IM in August. By then I will have done two sprints and two 70.3's. I recently joined a triathlon club and after talking to some of the guys, I got to wondering about my own IM expectations and my speed.

My goal from the start was sub-12 hours. Realistically I am now looking at 11:30:00, give or take. 11:00:00 if the weather is fine, but anything faster is unrealistic due to my hopelessly average bike speed. I don't know if my club just has many fast guys, but almost everyone I talked to finished, or want to finish, their first IM considerably faster. Excluding the one guy who did his first IM in 8:40:00 (yep, 8:40 in his first IM... crazy), everyone is aiming for sub 10, or at least around 10:30:00. It got me wondering: is getting experience through a couple of slow'ish IM's preferable to training harder and then completing your first in a respectable time?

I thought completing an ironman was tough in itself, but now I'm getting somewhat self-conscious about my speed... and getting the tattoo is definitely off the table, haha :p

Gotta get faster on that damn bike! Curse my skinny runner's legs.

I am also self-conscious about my speed. I'm sure I'll eventually do an IM, maybe next year. . . who knows. But it was important for me to complete several seasons first at shorter distances while increasing my speed. When I go out to do my first IM, I want to know that I have the speed to complete the race with a good overall time. I don't want to hit the finish line happy to complete the course in 14+ hours. That's just not me. For others, I'm certain they would be extremely happy to do it regardless of their time. To each their own.

I remember when you first started posting here all full of confidence and overly eager to jump right into it. Well. . . you did. . . and honestly, it's way too late to worry about your speed. Speed takes consistent training over years, not months. Be honest about what speeds you can do come race time in August. Your maximum potential for August has pretty much already been fixed into place. Training between now and then will help you perform closer to that maximum potential, but your not going to find an extra 2 mph on the bike or 30 seconds/mile on the run over the next three months.
2014-05-21 3:45 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
I always considered a 12 hour ironman to be like a 4 hour marathon. Pretty standard but not slow; you have to train for it and actually run if you want to achieve that finishing time, but it's not exactly super fast either.

I don't really want to feel bad for my potential 11:30 finish :s should I finish in that time, that is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Developing IM speed: experience or training? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Peak training hours for an IM: experience rquested

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1164 Posts: 14

2012-02-17 4:40 AM thecouch

Help me develop HIM training schedule Pages: 1 2

Started by Showtime32
Views: 2141 Posts: 28

2011-10-27 2:39 PM jimmy3993

high speed wobble - experiences and how to get over being "speed shy"

Started by drgary
Views: 2942 Posts: 12

2011-05-03 6:28 PM drgary

road vs tri bike--training in developing country

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 683 Posts: 3

2010-10-15 9:59 PM TriAya

Training Speed vs. Taper Speed

Started by ewricha
Views: 1586 Posts: 11

2009-02-22 9:45 PM aarondavidson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
I decided to list a few interesting workouts to increase speed.