General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clips worth it over cycling with tennis shoes? Worth it for Olympic distance? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-05-26 2:27 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Clips worth it over cycling with tennis shoes? Worth it for Olympic distance?
Originally posted by Danno77

Originally posted by Oysterboy

Something not mentioned above is the gain of control that comes with being attached to the bike at your feet. Perhaps more impt in MTB, but I would not feel as comfortable on the road using a pedal where my foot could easily come off the pedal.

This is how I feel about it, too. Once I experienced them on my mtn bike, I could never go back. On the road bike, the need is less, but it is certainly there. On smooth, even cycling I don't have a problem, but if I feel the need to put some power down, I'd experience some liftoff for sure, even on my fixie, the cages just don't feel the same as the clipless on my race bike.

I don't want to go off-topic but I feel the opposite about mountain bikes. I used egg beaters on my mountain bike and after multiple miserable experiences involving blood, I have gone back to platforms. I suck at mountain biking. There is little chance you will catch me on flat pedals on the road. Being firmly attached to the pedal gives you complete control of the power transfer.

2014-05-26 2:42 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Subject: RE: Clips worth it over cycling with tennis shoes? Worth it for Olympic distance?
I think there is absolutely no question that being "clipped" into the pedals is a better overall concept than your feet just resting on top of the pedals. Of course this is just my opinion, but I don't see how you would race hard without them. The "upstroke" power from your hammys is substantial, in keeping a steady spin motion, instead of just "mashing" down on the pedals. Why someone would say this is not needed or better yet a big industry conspiracy is beyond me. Again, just one man's opinion.

Of course, you can do whatever you want. You can do an Oly without being "clipped" in. Lots of people do I'm sure. But for maximum performance I sure as hell would get connected to my bike! It's a huge difference, IMHO.

Full disclosure: Cycling for only 3 years, with only 3 sprint tri's. But "clipped in" the whole time!
2014-06-06 11:53 AM
in reply to: NewDiz

so I got the clips and right away I could see the extra power. It added two MPH to my pace. Thank you for the Advice
2014-06-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

getting my first clips tomorrow, was surprised they even made them in my size (16 US)

First question, do most people ride in these sockless? reason I ask is all of the transition videos I have watched have guys hoping on the bike and putting on the clips without them
2014-06-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Well, think of who is getting the coverage here. Pro racers, as well as "semi-pro" age groupers are at a totally different level than your average age grouper. At that level, shaving seconds off their time is important. If they miss the first group coming off the swim, their race may be over. Until you or I get to that point, going sockless is not really that important. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you doing it, as long as you train and change gear accordingly.

The shorter the race, the more important it is to minimize transition times. So sprints and even international distance races are where this technique CAN make you money. For your iron distances, sure you see the pros still doing it, but for us earth people, perhaps it's more important to be comfortable with socks, than risk the problems that may arise without them.

Going sockless basically allows you to transition from swimming to biking very quickly. We're talking 10-15 second transitions here. These folks actually clip their shoes into their pedals and just hop on and pedal with their feet resting on top of the shoes. They then slip into their shoes as soon as possible (but while making forward progress vs being static). This is a very advanced technique, requiring excellent bike handling skills and much practice.

Then, when transitioning from bike to run, you take your feet out of the shoes, rest on top of them, and dismount barefoot on the fly. A specialized running shoe is then used, that is optimized for sockless running, with smooth inside seam construction. Some even have a sock-like liner. Needless to say, your have to train extensively without socks to pull this off, especially in iron distance races.

So, if you're doing sprints, or even an international, going sockless may be for you. If you're doing a half or full ironman, maybe consider doing your first one(s) in socks and going from there. Just my opinion but it's what I plan on doing. But again, until your are competitive in your age group, shaving a few seconds off your transition times, when your swim, bike, and run times are unremarkable, is like insulating the back door tight, while the front door is wide open. But hey, if that's what you want to do, then go for it. It looks cool as hell, and will sure get you style points!

Bottom line, very specialized tri racing technique. If you do group rides with roadies, you might want to consider blending in with socks and shoes, like everyone else- or not. If you train with a tri group, let your freak flag fly, get all into that sockless thang- or not. Up to you.
2014-06-07 2:55 PM

User image

Originally posted by NewDiz

Well, think of who is getting the coverage here. Pro racers, as well as "semi-pro" age groupers are at a totally different level than your average age grouper. At that level, shaving seconds off their time is important. If they miss the first group coming off the swim, their race may be over. Until you or I get to that point, going sockless is not really that important. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you doing it, as long as you train and change gear accordingly.

The shorter the race, the more important it is to minimize transition times. So sprints and even international distance races are where this technique CAN make you money. For your iron distances, sure you see the pros still doing it, but for us earth people, perhaps it's more important to be comfortable with socks, than risk the problems that may arise without them.

Going sockless basically allows you to transition from swimming to biking very quickly. We're talking 10-15 second transitions here. These folks actually clip their shoes into their pedals and just hop on and pedal with their feet resting on top of the shoes. They then slip into their shoes as soon as possible (but while making forward progress vs being static). This is a very advanced technique, requiring excellent bike handling skills and much practice.

Then, when transitioning from bike to run, you take your feet out of the shoes, rest on top of them, and dismount barefoot on the fly. A specialized running shoe is then used, that is optimized for sockless running, with smooth inside seam construction. Some even have a sock-like liner. Needless to say, your have to train extensively without socks to pull this off, especially in iron distance races.

So, if you're doing sprints, or even an international, going sockless may be for you. If you're doing a half or full ironman, maybe consider doing your first one(s) in socks and going from there. Just my opinion but it's what I plan on doing. But again, until your are competitive in your age group, shaving a few seconds off your transition times, when your swim, bike, and run times are unremarkable, is like insulating the back door tight, while the front door is wide open. But hey, if that's what you want to do, then go for it. It looks cool as hell, and will sure get you style points!

Bottom line, very specialized tri racing technique. If you do group rides with roadies, you might want to consider blending in with socks and shoes, like everyone else- or not. If you train with a tri group, let your freak flag fly, get all into that sockless thang- or not. Up to you.

Very good break down, thanks

2014-10-31 7:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by sirdizzy Yes, less loss of power and you get the up stroke and downstroke it will add 1-2 mph average on your biking.

Clipped in shoes will help in comfort, but I'd like to know where you came up with the notion that you gain power on the upstroke and that gained power will result in 1-2 mph.  I'd say somewhere closer to 0.1-0.2 mph in gained speed if at all.  More so if you're riding a course that requires out of the saddle accelerations or climbs so steep that your cadence significantly drops and exposes the dead spots in your stroke.  

If you don't believe me, switch back to platforms and report back if your speed drops significantly.  I've done many short errands where I don't want to put on bike shoes and just ride with my flip flops over the pedals.  Again, other than comfort and worrying about my foot slipping off (less likely with platforms and shoes), I don't notice much difference in speed at all. 

I know a girl who won the women's division of a time trial in her walking shoes because she forgot her bike shoes at home.  She's fast, but not 1-2 mph faster than the competition to make up for not having bike shoes.

ETA: OP, all that said, it's still worth it.  But more about comfort and simplicity than anything else.

Jackmott just posted a link in ST of this video from GCN that did a little n=1 experiment with clipless vs flat pedals with the intention of proving that clipless is more efficient.  The results...not so much.

Just thought I'd update this thread as it's a topic that seems to come up every few months among beginners and their experiences with clipless.  Again, I would highly recommend them for comfort and control, but not to expect significant speed gains.

2014-10-31 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by sirdizzy Yes, less loss of power and you get the up stroke and downstroke it will add 1-2 mph average on your biking.

Clipped in shoes will help in comfort, but I'd like to know where you came up with the notion that you gain power on the upstroke and that gained power will result in 1-2 mph.  I'd say somewhere closer to 0.1-0.2 mph in gained speed if at all.  More so if you're riding a course that requires out of the saddle accelerations or climbs so steep that your cadence significantly drops and exposes the dead spots in your stroke.  

If you don't believe me, switch back to platforms and report back if your speed drops significantly.  I've done many short errands where I don't want to put on bike shoes and just ride with my flip flops over the pedals.  Again, other than comfort and worrying about my foot slipping off (less likely with platforms and shoes), I don't notice much difference in speed at all. 

I know a girl who won the women's division of a time trial in her walking shoes because she forgot her bike shoes at home.  She's fast, but not 1-2 mph faster than the competition to make up for not having bike shoes.

ETA: OP, all that said, it's still worth it.  But more about comfort and simplicity than anything else.

Jackmott just posted a link in ST of this video from GCN that did a little n=1 experiment with clipless vs flat pedals with the intention of proving that clipless is more efficient.  The results...not so much.

Just thought I'd update this thread as it's a topic that seems to come up every few months among beginners and their experiences with clipless.  Again, I would highly recommend them for comfort and control, but not to expect significant speed gains.

But, but but, how i am supposed to do my single-leg spin drills?
2014-10-31 7:58 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Originally posted by bcagle25

But, but but, how i am supposed to do my single-leg spin drills?

Ideally with one leg...and power cranks.  

2014-10-31 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

The intention of the video was not to test that at all, and I do not think the results even prove that by accident either.
The test was to use the platform pedals to ensure the subject was unable to pull up the pedal. They were testing what is more efficient...360 degrees of potential power application (clipped-in shoes) vs. downward pushing only (platform pedals).

The reason I do not believe there result applies to this conversation is due to the stiff soled mountain bike shoe the subject wore. If he did the second treatment in running shoes and got the same result, then we would have something real to discuss.
2014-10-31 8:53 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Originally posted by dfroelich
Originally posted by Jason N Jackmott just posted a link in ST of this video from GCN that did a little n=1 experiment with clipless vs flat pedals with the intention of proving that clipless is more efficient.  The results...not so much.
The intention of the video was not to test that at all, and I do not think the results even prove that by accident either. The test was to use the platform pedals to ensure the subject was unable to pull up the pedal. They were testing what is more efficient...360 degrees of potential power application (clipped-in shoes) vs. downward pushing only (platform pedals). The reason I do not believe there result applies to this conversation is due to the stiff soled mountain bike shoe the subject wore. If he did the second treatment in running shoes and got the same result, then we would have something real to discuss.

How much power do you think is lost due to a stiff sole vs a tennis shoe?  I will agree that it plays a factor, but an extremely small factor when it comes to speed.  Certainly not the 1-2 mph that people were quoting earlier in the thread.  That's basically why I brought it back up...because there was a lot of n=1 being thrown out there with little knowledge of whether their speed increases were actually due to clipless and being able to pull up on the pedal...or other factors such as improved fitness, a different bike, less headwind, smoother roads, or simply more confidence going faster.

2014-11-01 9:34 AM
in reply to: #5001012

User image

I agree that the advantage in clipless is often exaggerated. I changed back to my platforms because I've been doing a lot of commuting on my cross bike (my only bike) and clipping in and out in traffic was driving me nuts. When tri season starts again I may switch back- or maybe not.
2014-11-01 9:39 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Something not mentioned above is the gain of control that comes with being attached to the bike at your feet. Perhaps more impt in MTB, but I would not feel as comfortable on the road using a pedal where my foot could easily come off the pedal.

This became much much more apparent to me when I did my first legit climbs. Needless to say I'm in the market now for clipless
2014-11-01 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by NewDiz

Of course this is just my opinion, but I don't see how you would race hard without them. The "upstroke" power from your hammys is substantial, in keeping a steady spin motion, instead of just "mashing" down on the pedals. Why someone would say this is not needed or better yet a big industry conspiracy is beyond me. Again, just one man's opinion.

While that may be your opinion, it is worth noting that there is precious little evidence to support it. The evidence clearly points to pushing down harder as opposed to worrying about actively pulling up. Try to push down through the whole power phase (the difference between the best cyclists and others is that they push down harder over more of the downstroke) and unweight but do not pull up on the recovery phase.

Shane
2014-11-01 10:54 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

When I was getting going with triathlons, I was confused by the terminology. You "clipped in" to "clipless" pedals. That being said, I did my first two seasons with toe clips and using my running shoes (including Olympic distance), and it made the transition petty easy! I didn't realize toe clips are forbidden for some events, now. If they aren't, I don't see any problem with a newbie using them to ease into the whole routine. As others (much smarter and better than me) have pointed out, there are real performance advantages with going clipless. It feels strange now to hop on a bike with toe clips, and even stranger to just have platform pedals.
2014-11-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

That is definitely true, especially when cornering.

I keep pedals that are platform on one side and SPD on the other on my touring bike because I like to be able to use it for running errands. There is a definite difference. On the flat side, it takes a minute or two for me to adjust my pedal stroke so my feet don't slip off. The big difference, though is on climbing. I pedal kind of like I run, where I lift up my foot as well as put it down. On a big climb or a sprint, the top of my foot pulls up against the shoe really hard. I pull up hard enough that I pedaled out of the old SPDs that I had on my road bike (switched to Speedplays after that). I might as well put that lift to use.

If you go clipless, though, get plenty of practice before race day. They can be intimidating in a crowd and take some time to get used to. My husband spends a lot of time watching transitions while I race, and he says that it is very common for people to fall because they either can't clip out, or they get clipped in but are trying to take off out of T1 going uphill and are in the wrong gear.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-11-02 6:34 AM

2014-11-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Originally posted by sirdizzy

Yes, less loss of power and you get the up stroke and downstroke it will add 1-2 mph average on your biking.

I thought this was proven to be a fallacy a year or two ago?

The only real benefit of the clip less for me is if you are a spinner vs smasher it keeps your feet from slipping off the pedals at high cadence.
2014-11-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #5000814

User image

New user
Sanford, Florida
Thanks for the info, I'll consider buying them. Can i still make an emergency stop, or do I first have to turn my foot 90 degrees to loosen my foot?
2014-11-03 6:11 AM
in reply to: Martine1975

User image

It is nothing like 90 degrees. More like ski bindings. Once you try them a few times, it is second nature. They are significantly easier than getting out of toe clips on platform pedals. Just develop a routine. I always clip my right one first. I always unclip left first (and weight the bike that way, so I don't tip over!).
2014-11-03 11:34 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

Originally posted by badmo77a

I am well in the category of combining just having swapped to clipless pedals and shoes and having "rapidly" improving bike fitness.

I think it is well worth the swap. I feel I can apply power much easier now and love the feeling of being connected to the bike.

I feared making the upgrade to some extent but am so glad I did.

Same thing here.
A bit fearful of them.
I did not think I would go faster. I just thought I'd be more efficient in total energy use on the day.
First time I raced with them (sprint, 1 week after getting them) I far outperformed my usual time over that same bike course. It was a local course, just 3 miles from my home so I'd done it A LOT and It involved a lot of uphill.

Granted, it's race day and there's the 'amped up factor'.

But, even then...I did not expect to see that kind of increase in speed.

Granted, it was so short of a ride (shortened to only 10 miles, I think) that any gain was lost in transition. I wasn't "racing" at the time. I was preparing for a longer length.

My feelings is that I was faster because I was amped up...and...more efficient. Within a month of using them, I'd set "PRs" on all the "courses" that my GPS tracks. So, yeah...some of that could be increased fitness, but statistically there's something to it in speed increase. In my belief. And I'm the first to poo-poo a lot of technology benefits. Mainly because I don't want to admit that if I spent a few more bucks I'd go faster. Because...I really don't need to go faster.
2014-11-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Ok even if you don't think this is true, why would you race without being clipped in to your bike?

I can't imagine trying to put out hard effort and also worrying about my feet slipping off the pedals.

This just seems to be such a no-brainer to me-but I guess people are all different and gotta do their own thing. Good luck and God bless.

So again, just one man's opinion. Among many I suppose.

2014-11-03 4:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by NewDiz Ok even if you don't think this is true, why would you race without being clipped in to your bike? I can't imagine trying to put out hard effort and also worrying about my feet slipping off the pedals. This just seems to be such a no-brainer to me-but I guess people are all different and gotta do their own thing. Good luck and God bless. So again, just one man's opinion. Among many I suppose.

I don't think anyone is saying that a clipless setup isn't worth investing in.  I for one think it is one of the first things a cyclist should look into after buying a bike and getting it fit.  However, it is mainly for comfort and simplicity...not because you will expect significant speed gains and that you will somehow add additional power by being able to pull up on the upstroke.

Really no different than investing in a good saddle or a pair of comfortable bike shorts/bibs.  Just because they are worth getting doesn't mean they will make you faster.

2014-11-03 5:00 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
It's not about whether or not I *think* that pulling up is an important part of the pedal stroke, it is the evidence says that it is not an important part of the pedal stroke.

Regardless, there are great reasons to ride clipless; stiffer sole, foot can be setup to provide consistent application of power with no slipping, etc. All of my bikes have clipless pedals and I do not enjoy riding platforms - it feels unnatural and inefficient.

Shane
2014-11-03 5:24 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I did my first season of tris and bike racing with toe clips and had no problems. So I guess you have to decide what is worth it to you. For me now, for road bike racing it is worth it, but I have the shoes and pedals. When I was a poor broke 20 year old, it wasn't.

I use clipless pedals for mountain biking, but most of my mountain biking is cross country trails and after 10 years, I am completely used to clipless pedals. The jury is still out on this though. It's about 70% clipless, 30% flat pedals for my mountain biking friends, and most of my mountain biking friends are roadies, so I'm sure that is skewed. 

I read this article or a similar one, but possibly a longer version on flat -> clipless -> flat pedals for mountain biking recently and thought it was interesting. Totally different than triathlon though, but since some brought up mountain biking, I thought I would link to it.

2014-11-03 10:28 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Can someone tell me if there is anything wrong with my logic in which I reached the opposite conclusion as the GCN physiologist did?

(reposted from the other thread)

Let's just assume that those numbers are correct that Simon pedaled with his best skill in each test and didn't alter his effort. I have a completley different conclusion.

With clipless pedals more muscles are involved in pedaling since the "pulling" muscles CAN take part. More muscles = more contribution to do the same work, which means less work per muscle fiber, but a higher total oxygen consumption. In addition, he did this at a lower perceived effort and a lower HR.

Take away the clipless, fewer muscles can take part, so less blood flow is needed hence a lower Vo2 max. the muscles need to do more work, hence a higher HR to get the same total work done.

AGain this is making a lot of assumptions, but this is totally misleading. It's the wrong thing to study anyway
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clips worth it over cycling with tennis shoes? Worth it for Olympic distance? Rss Feed  

of 3