General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 31s
Overall Rank = 140/394
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 28/65
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early to do my morning routine: coffee, poop, hydrate. This time I ate some toast with peanut butter and honey. I also had to load up both of the bikes. I also took a quick shower. Seems kind of silly to do so considering I was about to hop in the lake and then spent the next several hours sweating.

This was Jamie's (wife) first triathlon so we were experiencing everything together. She was a bit nervous beforehand considering she's never really swam, and does not care for cycling much.

We arrived at the race site and enjoyed a great parking spot. We were there plenty early so had lots of time to check bikes and set up our transition area.

Th
Event warmup:

We were expecting a cold swim, and the weather in the morning was quite chilly, so there was no swim warmup. After transition was set up, and we spent some time checking everything out, we headed to the car for about 25 minutes to warm up (literally). I put on my wet suit and we headed to the beach.
Swim
  • 28m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, this was a very disappointing swim. Once again, I panicked a bit. My goggles leaked early and I could not get my breathing right. I was not comfortable at all. This swim was far worse than Ironman NOLA 70.3 on a month before. I wish I could explain it, but I seem to struggle with this part.
What would you do differently?:

I need to see a psychologist or something to get my mind right before the swim. The water temp played no part in my struggle. I swim 1:30/100 in the pool, and expected to be about 1:42 today. But I was no where close. I just need to continue working on putting myself in uncomfortable circumstance in my swim training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

I had a really rough time in transition. I'm almost embarrassed to say, but the ground was very rough. Yes...it hurt my feet. And I didn't like it. In fact, by the time I got to my bike and was looking at the bike exit, I was contemplating putting on my shoes and running in them so my feet wouldn't take any more damage.

I also have place arm warmers rolled up like donuts on my areo bars so I could put them on while riding. This turned out to be unnecessary and they were an annoyance while riding.

Other than these two issues, my transition was just SLOW. I took a little longer than normal to relax and to get my barings. I have had some pretty quick transitions, so this actually took me by surprise.

My T1 was only 1 minute quicker than NOLA 70.3, and the 70.3 was a much farther distance from the swim exit to transition and needed additional time for sunscreen, fueling, etc.

In the future, I will assess the ground to determine if barefoot is the best approach. Given my spot in transition, I'm not sure if I would have been faster to the bike exit with shoes on, than I was while hobbling.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.49 km/hr
Comments:

I had a decent bike. I really thought I would average closer to 21mph, but overall I can't complain too much. It's always easy, after the fact, to say "you know, I could /should have gone harder"...but in the moment I felt my effort was good. There's still a mental aspect to this sport that I have not yet conquered.

I think I could have pushed the pace a little more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

T2 was much better than T1. My feet weren't screaming nearly as badly because they were warmer and dry.

My shoes went on cleanly and I was out ok. Not as quick as I've done in the past, but considering I didn't practice T1 at all, I'm not going to complain.

Not much
Run
  • 52m 27s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 15s  min/km
Comments:

The first 1.5 miles of the run were bad. This is the point where I start feeling sorry for myself. As the parade of adequate runners goes by me, I begin to sulk and tell myself how terrible of a runner/triathlete I am. I wish that I would finally focus on dropping some extra weight which will undoubtedly help my run time. I wish that I had started running years and years before (instead of 2012) and I had an aerobic engine built.

All these things go through my mind but I just keep plugging along. As people pass me, I start to entertain myself by accusing them of being a) a Pro or b) a doper. (Relax folks, it's a joke).

At around mile 2.5 Jon from BT came behind me. I had introduced myself before the swim and as he passed he said something to me. I don't recall what it was, but instinctively I immediately called him a doper. I'm not sure if he heard me so he slowed down a bit and we chatted. As he slowed his pace a bit, I sped up a bit to chat. After a minute or two he went on his way. That was actually very helpful because the rest of run was much better. In hindsight, my run time turned out to be a personal best (actually, it's tied with my dubiously timed 2012 Nations tri run, which I've always doubted).

So, who can complain about a PR? Me, of course. The course was not grueling at all, the weather was perfect blah blah blah.

Run faster. Not be so fat.

Honestly, I'm not sure I could have done anything on race day to improve.
Post race
Warm down:

As I finished, I was eager to see Jamie and hear how her race went. I saw her twice on the bike course and once on the run course, but was never close enough to speak to her.

After the race, I cooled down with some water and then we took some photos and enjoyed some freebies.

Event comments:

Overall, I loved the race. I'm entering my 3rd season of triathlon and it's amazing that this is actually my first local race. We've typically travelled as a family for races in the past. It was nice to sleep in my own bed and to be so close. I wanted to love the Kansas City Tri as it is the flagship "hometown" race and I really feel they did a great job of trying to make it a bigger event. Nice freebies, good race support, perfect weather, well marked bike course, etc. I thought things went well. Sure, the ground in transition was rough...but that's a minor quibble. I will definitely do this race again. I'm also happy that the power struggle between the 5150 series and KC tri seems to be dead. Last year, both races were scheduled for the same day and I think everyone lost. I hope to see both events thrive.

Last updated: 2014-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:49 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/65
Overall: 0/394
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:52 | 40 kms | 32.49 km/hr
Age Group: 22/65
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:27 | 10 kms | 05m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 54/65
Performance: Good
Course: mostly flat. Combination of gravel run path and road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-29 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

2014-05-30 2:18 PM
in reply to: #5004036

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course
nice race, I'm sure you will improve throughout the season. I felt like I left a lot out there, too, but it was the first race of the year. And MAN my feet were torn up! I kept looking down where I was stepping, expecting to see blood flying out! Crazy rough!
2014-05-31 8:28 AM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Good work out there David, I enjoyed the reading the RR. I hear ya on the feet deal! There's a slight chance Jon will be passing me on the run at Clinton Lake next week (he's doing the relay) so if I see him I'll yell out accusations.
2014-06-02 12:01 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Thanks guys. I have to admit, one thing that KC Tri is doing *right* in promoting the 2015 race is the carpet in transition! that makes me want to sign up right there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by reecealan
Views: 1452 Posts: 4

2014-06-02 12:31 PM dprocket

Kansas City Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Ranski
Views: 982 Posts: 1

2014-05-23 8:36 AM Ranski

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 1369 Posts: 2

2014-05-31 8:57 AM reecealan

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by KCbeginner
Views: 1232 Posts: 3

2011-05-24 7:57 PM montyzooma

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by RazorTri
Views: 1760 Posts: 5

2011-05-26 2:07 PM marvintpa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.