United States
3 Way Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 38s
Overall Rank = 180/223
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got wife and gear out of the house. Not sure which was harder. Walked and fed dog. Drove to Race, got Med coffee and Egg and Cheese. Drank Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Not much, got in the water a little, but just sort of walked around. Rode bike 1 mile from car to transition and that was about it.
Swim
  • 24m 40s
  • 925 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Two words - SWIM PANIC!! I have no idea what happened. I wasn't that nervouse other than the distance, but the minute the race started I couldn't breathe. I tried to stay with one guy for a bit, but about 10 strokes in, I just wanted to get my bearings and coulnd't breath. Now when I say I couldn't breathe, I'm talking breast stroke didn't work, side stroke didn't work, I wound up on my back just floating for a bit. I started to relax a bit and felt a bit better, but it seemed that everytime I put my face in the water, I lost it. Then at one point, I started to feel a little bit better, and could swim about 50 yards at a time freesytle, but just couldn't get in a rythem. I've been doing great in the pool, so I'm not sure if it's the cooler water or what. Anyway, looking at my overall time, I did "ok" my HR was a little too high, but I think that was mostly because I felt like I was drowning for the 1st half. The crazy thing is that my time was only a couple of minutes slower than I usually am in the pool, I guess I'm a hell of a backstroker.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim as badly. I need to get a wetsuit, at least I think that will help mentally. Not have goggles slip up.
Transition 1
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

I couldn't find the lady with my glasses for about 30 seconds, will get contacts at some point. Yanks helped a bit, but my velcro cost me some time, as did my helmet and camelbak, but I ride better with the camelbak.

When I get better shoes and better gear, it will help.
Bike
  • 41m 50s
  • 12.7 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. Was having a blast on the 1st lap and saw the Mrs. not too far after the u-turn. I really need more work on the flats, which I think will be helped with a better bike and a more aero position. Biggest complaint was that my seat setup wasn't great, and when I tried to fix it I made it worse. I lost a little time and then was just aggrivated so I suffered through it. Hills slowed me down, but I tried to keep my HR in a better position than before and didn't feel like I blew up. I stayed in control a bit more and tried not to hammer as much. The second lap was a little slower, but I averaged somewhere around 17mph and even had to slow down a bit at the biggest hill to make the turn as the traffic cop messed up a little, and i had to almost stop, that cost me a little time.

Overall I'm OK with this.

Get my seat position right, ride the course before, but the drive really helped.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

No major compalints. Had a little trouble putting on the shoes and getting the bike gear off. I always feel like I'm in slow motion, but I try to slow it down mentally.

Just get a little better.
Run
  • 27m 59s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

The first big hill out of transition was hard and I ran/walked it pretty well. I was trying to get in a good rythem an got a few cramps in my calves. After the cramps worked out a bit, I was able to feel pretty good. I ran about 9's which is better than I have been in my training, but I felt pretty good and my training runs have mostly been at the MRS pace or at the T-mill which never feels good. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard. Had a nice kick at the end down the big hills and sprinted the last couple of hundred yards.

Not much, maybe run a little more of the uphill and push a little harder overall, but I wanted to try to stay within myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked with Laura back up the hill and waited for Monica. Once I saw her, I ran down the hill with her, drank some and relaxed and met some people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SWIMMING, SWIMMING, SWIMMING!!! I am not sure if it's a panic or if it's the water temp that causes my problems.

Event comments:

Enjoyed it, helped out the day before to set-up and sweeping sucked, but was worth it on the run up!

Last updated: 2006-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:40 | 925 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 203/223
Performance:
Suit: None
Course: CounterClockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:50 | 12.7 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Overall: 0/223
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:59 | 02.9 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Overall: 0/223
Course: A few hills. The hill out of transition was hard.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-12 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Dash and Bash Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: #509871

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: RE: Dash and Bash Sprint Triathlon

always remember goal #!:  don't leave in the ambulance.

seriously, you recovered really well from a shaky start - imagine how well you'll do when you get your kinks ironed out. 

2006-08-12 9:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Open water is just different than pool water. Sounds like you did fine.

So when is the next race?
2006-08-12 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Great race! Especially on recovering from the swim trouble, and going on to have a nice ride and run. You may be right about the water temp too. My second race was in 68 degree water, sans wetsuit, and when I got in 10 min or so before the race to adjust, as wisely suggested to me, it took at least 4 attempts for me to be able to swim and breath. The shock to my body was so much that I just couldn't keep my face down. It had nothing to do with anxiety at all, a pure physiologic reaction.
2006-08-12 10:53 PM

Champion

That swim thing sometimes happens more often than you think.  In my 3rd triathlon, I decided halfway through the swim that I couldn't breath, and ended up unzipping my wetsuit and doing the last half with it open.  Needless to say, that slowed me down even more.  It only happened that one time and I've never had a repeat performance.  In the end, you had a great race and more than made up for your swim by smoking it on the run!!

Edited by max 2006-08-12 10:55 PM
2006-08-12 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

I used to get the swim panic too...the cold water contributes to it significantly I think.

You did a great job on recovering and had a good bike and run...nice job!

I guess the poor dog has to stay home now that both of you are racing huh?

2006-08-13 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Swim panic is a demon that attacks everyone, not just people who are not used to OWS.  I OWS all my life in the sea.  I learned swimming as a kid and I used to swim in a team.  I had panic attacks in my first 2 tri's last year.  You'll get over it. 

Nice job in the race.  Glad to see you. 

2006-08-13 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great job! You looked really good everytime I saw you and you were able to overcome your panic and finish strong. Plus, it was easy spotting you with the orange shirt, despite what the Mrs. thinks about it

It was great meeting you, Monica and Laura and I'm glad that you had a great time. See you in two weeks.
2006-08-13 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

As a previous big time swim panicer...it gets better with practice and time!

You made it through and did awesome the rest of the race!

Can't wait to see you at C Berry.  We are having a Saturday late afternoon BT get together at our house...you two are invited to come..check out the MA board later in the week for details.

Congrats Triathlete..was this your first?

2006-08-13 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

As a previous big time swim panicer...it gets better with practice and time!

You made it through and did awesome the rest of the race!

Can't wait to see you at C Berry.  We are having a Saturday late afternoon BT get together at our house...you two are invited to come..check out the MA board later in the week for details.

Congrats Triathlete..was this your first?

2006-08-13 10:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Great job...you looked great coming across the finish too!

I second, third, fourth, etc.....all the comments about swim panic. Same has happened to me, and like they all said, it passes.

Congratulations on staying with it.

2006-08-14 6:59 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
You had a swim panic attack??? That never happened to me (riiigghhhttt!) On my 2n tri ever, I was 2 strokes away to DNF because I was hyperventilating, panicking, and just FREAKING OUT. Now, 2 ½ seasons and a Pro card later, I still struggle a bit with the swim. But the good thing is that you tough it up and did it! And on top of that you went to have a great race.

Thank you very much for helping out the day before and for choosing the Dash & Bash. I hope we were able to deliver a fun experience     GOOD JOB!

2006-08-14 10:57 AM

User image

Brighton, MA
Great meeting you! I can definitely relate to the swim panic...that was scary as hell! At least I hope going through it once and realizing it's not as bad as you think will help me on the next race. I'm sure it will do the same for you!
2006-08-14 7:52 PM
in reply to: #510861

User image

Regular
MA
Hey, Great ride and Chi running (or whatever it is) looks like it's working for you, good job! Now that swim, you've gotten some nice support so far but there is a nice calm clear lake near where I live (not far from Webster) it has a beach set up similar to where we all swam there but a bit smaller and WAY clearer and cleaner. I brought a swim panic victim there days before the Webster Tri and she was cured.  If you and Moinica want to come out this way for some OW practice I'm happy to provide directions and or join. It is in a state park so there are some nice trails (although a bit rough for running if not used trail running, I'll not be responsible for broken ankles!) and I know the area pretty well for biking if you desire a brick.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dash and Bash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed