General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick & IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-09 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: Sick & IM training
I'm in the midst of training for IM LOU, following BT's 20-week4 plan. Did Raleigh 70.3 as a warmup 6/1 and did OK (but had some nutrition issues). Took a couple easy days (it was a drop-back week on the plan - good timing) and then got back into it...and now I'm completely out, crashed on the couch with a head cold. It started in my chest, moved up to my head, and seems settled. I've been sick since Saturday a.m. - managed 10 minutes on the trainer yesterday to see if I could do anything - and the answer is no. So basically I'm currently on day 3 of no activity.

I've done some research here & elsewhere - the consensus is that I need to get healthy rather than training through the sickness (and ending up even worse off). I've read the articles on how to come back, depending on how many days I'm laid low. What I'm worried about making sure I hit my key workouts this week (assuming this dam-blasted cold gets gone soon)...

Here's what's on the calendar:

45 swim, 110 bike (hard)
50 run (interval)
60 swim (speed)
140 run (with some z3, rest)
rest
4h45 bike followed by 70 run brick
60 swim, 140 bike

I know that the brick is probably the key workout, but what other ones are key (not-to-be-missed, work them in at the cost of others, etc.).

IMLOU is my first IM - I'm just looking to get-er-done with what might resemble a smile.

Thanks for any advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick & IM training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ugh im sick!

Started by fnkyhd
Views: 964 Posts: 8

2013-08-22 10:29 AM fnkyhd

Anyone sick??-IM TX-urgent

Started by tallytom
Views: 1544 Posts: 8

2013-05-30 8:59 AM stexfjr

Arrrrrrrg..... Im sick

Started by Anthonypb
Views: 677 Posts: 4

2011-03-09 11:23 AM Anthonypb

Sick of being sick!

Started by triscott26
Views: 1151 Posts: 9

2010-01-31 1:53 PM FLiP129

I'm sick and sick of it !!

Started by troydorsey835
Views: 1372 Posts: 12

2005-02-24 3:14 AM easablade
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : May 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
So tell me why I want to bother swimming the other strokes? I'm IM training, and plan to swim freestyle for the entire race, is there an advantage to working on the other strokes?
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
While regular and moderate exercise such as light jogging has been shown to boost immune system function, more vigorous exercise can suppress the immune system.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : February 13, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.