World Triathlon Corporation
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 55s
Overall Rank = 900/2082
Age Group = W60-64
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Easton with Stacey and Frank and was lucky to have our usual Room 103. It was a perfect situation--ice machine across the hall, 2 bathrooms next door, and the exit to the parking lot a short distance down the hall. The entire hotel seemed to be filled with competitors this year.

The alarm went off at 3:00 a.m. We were out of the parking lot close to our 4:15 attempt. We secured our parking spot on Tabor Avenue next to the YCMA. A lot of people had already arrived but there was still ample parking--our major concern.

Then it was off to transition. As luck would have it, the two women racked next to me did not show up. I had the end spot on the row AND a huge space!

They announced that it was a non-wetsuit swim and a lot of people were freaking out. I wasn't worried.

Event warmup:

I spent most of the time talking to Kathy Beith. She was really nice and made the rest of the time pass quickly.
Swim
  • 40m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our started at 7:00 a.m. right behind the pro women. I had nice open water to swim in and it was so smooth. I was actually wishing that the swim was longer; I felt so good. Then we made the first turn and I realized that the reason I felt so good was probably because I was swimming with the current. It got more difficult after that. Three orange caps passed me. I wondered how they could swim so fast.

The water was really shallow at the beginning and the end of the swim. I had to stop pretty early and wade in. I know I lost a lot of time there. The good people were dolphin swimming and making good headway.
What would you do differently?:

Find someone to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Put on my Spy Belt, which had my Endurolytes in it. The rest of my nutrition was in my Fuel Pack.

We had a long run from T1 to the start of the bike. They made us run down the macadam for a long stretch. That was very hard in biking cleats. This is where running barefoot really helps. I, unfortunately, do not do that.

Not put socks on. Put Glide inside my shoes. (Practice this ahead of time, though.)
Bike
  • 2h 59m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was going so slowly in the first stretch. I had wanted to try to average 19 mph and I was only holding in the 17s. Then I realized were had a headwind. But people kept flying by me. That's always depressing. Marianne Moore came whizzing by at a good clip. I didn't know it was her at the time. I just called her the girl in the green outfit. I was so glad I wasn't in the 55-59 age group anymore because quite a few of them went by.

When we started heading back, I was able to pick up my pace. I watched my average mph increase. Between watching my mph and trying to eat, drink and take the Endurolytes every hour, the miles ticked away.

I drank out of the bottle on the frame. When I replaced it with water on the course, I had to drink from the back bottle for Gatorade. After awhile, I decided to switch to the full strength Gatorade when I felt some muscle cramp twinges. It was a hot sunny day and I knew cramping could develop into a serious problem later on. When I put the water bottle in the back, some girl went by and told me it was hanging down by my wheel. I thought the screw came out of my water bottle holder but it didn't. It just wouldn't stay in the holder. So I had to carry it shoved down the back of my pants. It seems that I always have to come up with new ways to carry fluids in the middle of a race.

Not much road kill this time--only a snake and something unidentifiable.

I was not able to pee on the bike. Couldn't get the flow started and I was wasting too much time slowing down.

Nutrition: 3 Endurolytes every hour (9 total), 1 pack Clif Bloks, 1 chocolate Power Bar, 1 GU. I brought 2 small bike bottles of watered down Gatorade and 1 large bottle of full strength Gatorade. I picked up 2 bottles of water along the course. No crappy yellow Perform for me this year.

This is the first time I can't say "buy a tri bike." I have the tri bike. I didn't bike any faster. Now I have to say "train more."
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

I really took my time here to prepare for the long, hot run. I globbed Aquaphored my toes and changed my socks, changed to more comfortable sunglasses, put 2 GUs and Aquaphor in my pockets, grabbed my visor, and squirted sunscreen on my arms, which I applied while running out of transition. Oh, and I tried Linda R's peeing technique. Worked great. My new favorite way. The best part is that your shoes do not smell like pee after the race.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 02m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out on the run and right away the demons were sitting on my shoulder...you want to walk...you want to walk. But if you want the Kona slot, you can not walk. I kept running and after about 3 miles, the demons left. It was just so sunny and hot and we had not had the opportunity to train in the heat after the cold winter and spring we had.

A lot of people were passing me but one young girl ran by and said "I hope I fan run as fast as you when I am 60." That really cheered me up.

There was a 24-year-old named Megan that kept going back and forth with me on the bike. I passed her on the run. She was walking.

At each aid station, I dumped about 3 cups of ice into my sports bra and they would just about be melted by the next stop. That worked great as a cooling aid. It dawned on me later that it was also a great way to get ice chips to chew on when I got parched. Also, when I took my Endurolytes, I was able to chew on ice instead of waiting to get something to drink.

When I was coming toward the turnaround, I saw the woman in the green outfit on her way back and she was walking with a limp. I couldn't believe it. I easily caught and passed her. That is when I realized that I had a chance at the Kona slot. I kept chanting "Kona...Kona" in my head. I told myself not to go crazy and just run it in. I could feel the cramp twinges starting. My balloon was soon popped when a woman ran past me so fast with a 60 on her leg. There was no way I could keep up. That was maybe 8 miles or so. (She ended up beating me by 8 minutes.)

Consumed on the run: 1 GU at about 5 miles, 3 Endurolytes at about 9 miles when I started to cramp. I also had Perform and water at each aid station. I grabbed some pretzels at two stops towards the end when I was cramping.

Nothing really. I'm pretty happy that I was able to run the entire way only walking at the aid stations. Our of 6 attempts, this is only the second time that I was able to do this. Last year was the first, and it was cloudy. This is the first sunny day that I did not walk. Globbing my toes with Aquaphor really helped, too. I felt the blisters starting about a mile from the end, which is a lot better than feeling them in the beginning.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so so happy to cross the line. So happy in fact that I wanted to cry. However, when I cry, I hyperventilate. I started hyperventilating so bad that I could not stop. I got scared. They took me to medical while I was asking for a paper bag. The doctor in medical said that they do not treat hyperventilation with paper bags anymore. Basically, they sat me down, took my pulse, BP, put ice on me, and gave me a drink and a puke pan (which I didn't need). I was out of there within 15 minutes--a new PR for my medical tent visit.

I walked around for quite awhile looking for the results. I wanted to make sure I was second and I was. So much for my hopes and dreams of getting back to Kona! I went back to transition and changed my clothes and then wandered around looking for Stacey and Frank. I didn't find them because they were in medical for Frank.

I got some food. I was anxious to eat the rice and black beans. I sat down on the grass and immediately tipped my bowl over. Bummer. I was too lazy to get more.

Finally found Stacey who was frantic because they were taking Frank to the hospital in the ambulance. Long story short, he's fine.

Event comments:

Lots of volunteers. Lots of cold drinks and ice on the run.

Last updated: 2014-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/2082
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri outfit
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:41 | 56 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:02:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 10:29 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2014-06-09 4:22 PM
in reply to: #5009426

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon
Good race, especially in the heat. Glad I was able to contribute to the effort! :-)
2014-06-09 7:50 PM
in reply to: #5009426

User image

Franklin, TN

Dang, that's pretty skippy...sub 6 hours by a good margin in warm weather!  You were solid in all phases.  Thanks for the nutrition info...I might refer back to that when I step up to a 70.3.

2014-06-12 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Awesome race.  Great run in that freakin sun!  I hope that you waited for the roll-down.  The first finisher may have KQ'd already!

Edited by pga_mike 2014-06-12 4:12 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2467 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4371 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2221 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2052 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2063 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.