Columbia Triathlon Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 17m 27s
Overall Rank = 1249/1976
Age Group = F3539
Age Group Rank = 68/123
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and drove to Cambridge from St. Michaels, which is where we were staying. Parked at the school and took the shuttle bus in and got there earlier than expected. As soon as I walked into transition, I heard people talking about the fact that it wasn't going to be wetsuit legal. Wasn't happy to hear that...
Event warmup:

A lot of sitting around. There was an hour between the start and my swim wave, so I mainly just chatted with Mike.
Swim
  • 53m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had completely banked on this being a wetsuit legal swim, given the relatively cool fall we'd had, but that wasn't the case. They offered a wetsuit wave, but it would have been last and I also wanted to race with my AG. While my time was very slow overall, I had actually expected to finish in the 55-60' range, so I was okay with it.
What would you do differently?:

I slacked a bit on swim training building up to this one, so I certainly could have put in more. I'm always slow on the swim regardless though, so I've been finding it difficult to get psyched about putting in the extra time. Considering the conditions, I was relatively happy with this.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Wanted to make sure I got sunscreen on my shoulders since it was really sunny. Otherwise, nothing too eventful here.

Not much, I didn't push this, but it also wasn't super slow either, so I was okay with it.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This was definitely my best discipline coming into this race. While it wasn't a bike PR, it was close and only the second time I've broken three hours. Did start to get a bit uncomfortable toward the end, but otherwise, this went well. Even saw an eagle and a turtle along the way!

Not much, while it would have been nice to get a new PR, I was still happy to pull down a sub three hour time.
Transition 2
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

While I was happy with my bike, I could tell even before I got off that it was hot and knew the run would likely not go as well. As a result, I took my time in T2, ensuring that I got enough sunscreen on amongst other things. Also had a bit of an issue reracking my bike, as they had set me up next to a support bar and didn't give me a lot of room on one side.

I wasn't happy about my racking position, but I wasn't about to complain to someone about it. Otherwise, I was slow by choice, so I wasn't too concerned.
Run
  • 2h 17m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this would not go well due to the heat, but it was even worse than I had anticipated. I ran the first 4M, then started alternating running and walking. Generally, I'd run until I started developing issues breathing, then would walk it off, then I'd repeat. Pace while running was okay, but clearly the overall pace was dragged down by the walking. Wanted to run the final 5K, but developed severe GI issues halfway through. Not going to get into detail, but was forced to use the most horrific port-o-let I've ever encountered, but the upside was that I was then able to finish strong for the final stretch.

I've never been able to run well in the heat and the cool spring I've been training in wasn't helpful. That, with the GI issues, made most of it out of my control. I could have likely pushed myself slightly more in the middle, but I didn't see much point in it at the time.
Post race
Warm down:

Happy to finish and Mike was there cheering me on. Met up with him and sat under a tree for a bit. Had a bit to eat, although wasn't too hungry at the time, then packed up and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having the swim be wetsuit legal and heat related issues on the run.

Last updated: 2013-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:51 | 2112 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 117/123
Overall: 0/1976
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Long, clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:09 | 56 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/123
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat single loop
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:24 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/123
Performance: Below average
Course: Straight out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-10 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

2014-06-11 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5010214

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Congrats.  That was a great ace and run for such a hot/sunny day.  My kingdom for a cloud!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Triathlon

Started by marykay79
Views: 2469 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 12:52 PM marykay79

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 4374 Posts: 14

2013-06-12 7:34 AM Sous

Started by dougiegr
Views: 2222 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 1:30 PM dougiegr

Started by frank.vetter
Views: 2055 Posts: 1

2011-06-13 8:48 AM frank.vetter

Started by KellyCByrne
Views: 2065 Posts: 1

2011-06-08 11:29 AM KellyCByrne
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.