Crescent Beach Triathlon Society
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 56m 46s
Overall Rank = 66/99
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had some oatmeal and cereal, loaded up the gear and headed out. Got a spot for my wheels about halfway into transition, so it wasn't too bad. Hit the dunny early! this time, and then went and jumped in the water.
Event warmup:

Water was a bit of a wakeup. Knocked the breath out of me and took a few minutes to acclimatise. A race time discovery like that would have led to a repeat of my HIM disaster. Did some easy strokes, got wet basically. Then had to get out for the start.
Swim
  • 39m 8s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Seeded myself in the slow group, as I didn't want a repeat performance of the human speed hump again. I think I went a little crazy at the start, and forgot about the current, so I was zooming along at the head of my heat, but ran out of gas too early before the buoy. Settled the HR and breathing down after the first 600m or so, and the remainder was pretty clear sailing.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice. Navigation was a bit of a problem with the current doing funny things - or it just could have been me being cold and tired in the first 10mins...:P
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

There was a long beach/gravel run from the water to T1, so I brought down my thongs and cruised up in those. Wasn't one of those fancy races with mats and carpet so your footsies don't get prickles...Trying to get the suit off in T1 was a hassle, didn't realise how disoriented I was, or how much the swim had taken out of me, so I fell on my arse to the mirth of the spectators around. Got all my shizzle together after that, and ran in my shoes to the line.

Bodyglide. For suit extraction plus ended up with a bugger of an underarm rash that came back to haunt me in the run.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 2s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.90 km/hr
Comments:

Challenging course, but not impossible. Definitely spaced out the field after the swim. Missed 2 turns due to confusing directions from the vollies, but nothing a quick U-turn didn't fix, and didn't let it get me down. Got some serious cruise on some of the descents, maxed out at 71kmh. Pretty much played catchup, only got passed by 2 ppl.

More hill work in offseason. Could have been stronger.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

First time I have tried the shoes off before T2, and it was awesome. Practiced a few times after work commutes and it was a bit sketchy. So much easier to run thru T2, rack bike, put on shoes, rip off helmet and bang I was outta there...like a freakin pro. hehe

Probably do an extra clean of feet to remove debris etc before the run...got some nice blisters from the sand remaining from the swim.
Run
  • 52m 7s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 13s  min/km
Comments:

First lap was a little shaky with the lack of prep I put towards this race, so calves were a little crampy, back was bitchin' and moaning, but I said, ENOUGH! So the second lap was a tad more pleasant, other than the blister that decided to show up and piss on my parade. Had a good long sprint to the finish to end it strong.

Clean feet = happy feet. More prep - speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Got hosed down to remove the coliform and other raging bacteria that was crawling over me from the ocean water, walked, stretched, ate some pancakes and fruit and replenished fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time.

Event comments:

Not bad for a self-proclaimed podunk race. Small tri-club operation. Vollies were enjoying themselves and were real nice. Other athletes were very well behaved. Swag bag was pretty poor. The awards etc took forever at the end, so we bailed. Not that I was in the hunt, but sometimes you just like to see how far behind you were from the M70+ AG winner...;) I'd do it again, nice way to kick some mental demons in the crackers and end the season on a high. :)

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:08 | 1500 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 90/99
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Against the current - parallel to the beach, round a buoy, and return with the current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:02 | 40 kms | 28.90 km/hr
Age Group: 48/12
Overall: 8/99
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Hilly turny neighbourhood course. 2 laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:07 | 10 kms | 05m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 57/12
Overall: 10/99
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps flat packed gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-13 2:19 PM

User image

Vancouver,BC
Subject: Crescent Beach Triathlon

2006-08-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #510100

User image

Subject: RE: Crescent Beach Triathlon

Hah!  Look at that, Scott - an Olympic with no race prep.. and you did a fantastic job. 

Funny current, missed turns and blisters, yet you took it all in stride.  Sounds like you went into it in good spirits and stayed that way.  Glad to see that. 

Congrats! 

2006-08-14 12:26 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-14 3:01 AM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Hey that was an entertaining race report.  Nice race on no preparation!

remember bodyglide is your friend!  when in doubt put more on hehe!

also I take an extra drink bottle into my transition area to use to squirt my feet with to get all the sand off/grass whatever off.   its quick and easy.

good to see you learnt things from your Half, races can only get easier after a stressful race.

2006-08-14 7:50 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Good Job.

Nice race on no prep.

Glad to see you kept your spirits high the whole time!

2006-08-21 10:17 PM

Regular
Squamish,BC
Glad you finished the season on a high note.  Will be a nice memory to focus on as you get ready for next year.

2013-04-12 1:04 AM

Crescent Beach Triathlon is on again!!!! It is going to be a good time http://crescentbeachtriathlon.org/ is website, August 11, 2013 is the date, 8:40 AM is the start. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Beach Triathlon Rss Feed