General Discussion Race Reports! » Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Perrysville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 23m 8s
Overall Rank = 66/90
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, and had my normal breakfast, bagel, raisen bran and coffee. After I ate I still had plenty of time to relax and wake up before heading to the race site. It's always nice to not have to rush around. Went to the race and still had another hour before transition closed so I took my time in getting everything set up and organized. Sara had driven me and decided to stay for a little while, which was nice since I had some definite jigglies in my stomach for this race.
Swim
  • 34m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall a decent swim, I felt comfortable through out and never rally struggled. I was slow, again, but still feel good overall about the swim. Nothing spectacular.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Minimal issues here, I had did have a little trouble getting my wet suit off due to it being caught in my watch but nothing major.
Bike
  • 3h 22m 21s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

After reviewing the bike course prior to the race, I figured it was a little above my ability so I decided it would be a good idea to keep the effort low. I targeted low zone 3 on the heart rate, which for me is around 130-135ish. From there every time I found myself getting higher and up around 150, I would remind myself that a 150HR would lead to a crappy run.

lap 1 was a challenge to stay with-in target. I was surrounded by several riders who seemed to want to pick up speed and slow down this made it a struggle for me to keep a constant output. Overall though I did manage to hold my effort low, even when this speedy lady came flying up past me in the middle of a hill. Almost made me look silly and as if I was standing still, but I still kept the same effort. Somewhere around the half way point of the lap the hills end for several miles and the course turns into more of a steady decline with a few rollers thrown in. In this section I was able to maintain the same effort but pick up quite a bit of speed, that was until the last hill of the lap. This thing was a monster, well at least for this cornladrian! It has a slow steady decline at the beginning which wasn't terrible, until you hit a flat spot and think you have reached the top, only to make a left turn and have to go straight up a very steep hill.

After reaching the turn around point to start the 2nd lap, I was feeling good and decided to push the effort a little more. I was currently averaging somewhere around 16.3mph. The 2nd lap was uneventful for the most part, I did run into some back pain while going through the hilly section that caused me some problems. I had to constantly sit up out of aero and stretch, there was a 5 mile section where I stayed up on the horns trying to get some relief. Once I reached the downhill section I was able to relax and gain some relief. All was going along smooth until the last big hill, my legs felt heavy and I was struggling already, I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the top. I made it up the 1st section made the left turn and pushed as hard as I could to keep the bike moving. This was actually the only point in the course where I had to stand up, I had a thought of walking but was cheered on by a few spectators which made a huge difference. I made it to the top and cruised to the end of the bike of course.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, during the 1st lap I thought I should be pushing harder than I was. But by the the middle of the 2nd lap I knew I had chosen the right effort. If I had gone any harder I would of definitely had more problems on the run.

I still need to figure out the ongoing back pain of longer! higher effort rides! ultimately I think it may come down to a weak core, so I am going to see if I can find some extra time to work in this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Nothing crazy here, took my time to get situated and started out on the run. I did lose some time as I was heading out when I seen Sara and the kids sitting outside transition. I had to stop and collect hugs and high fives to get me started on the run
Run
  • 2h 20m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my! I definitely under estimated this run course. I new it was going to be rough, but i did not realize it was going to be a mountain climb! Coming out of transition I felt good, legs were loose and I quickly fell into a steady stride, I had to slow myself down early on though because I was down around 8m pace and I assumed I would not be able to hold that. The goal was to be around a 10m pace so I attempted to find that and hold there. This worked for the 1st 3 miles, probably because it was more downhill than up and I was able to let gravity do the work. This lasted until about mile 3, this was where the fun began. 1st was a run down the front of a damn, which seemed fun at the time, but in the back of my mind I knew there was a return trip. From here the course went through a short trail section then came out and over a covered bridge and back on to the road. Then came the hill, I started up it thinking it was just another hill, 1/4 mile in I was still moving along and figured I was coming to the top, had to be just a round the bend. Made the next corner and more hill, the guy next to me started talking about mile 4 coming up shortly. I thought great that must be the top of the hill, then the marker went by and another bend, more hill. Finally somewhere around 1.5miles of running up this it hill I finally crested the top. That was a great feeling to make it up the hill and to still be moving. I actually managed to run up the entire length, extremely slow, but I ran all the way up. After the hill I still felt strong and quickly fell back into a decent running stride, this part of the course also had several rollers with the majority of them being in a descent (really wish I would of realized this earlier). At the turn around point I was still feeling good and running strong. I was not pushing the pace too hard but keeping a steady effort. I think one thing that had helped up to this point was my plan of targeting a 10m pace and to walk the aid stations taking in water at each station.

I held strong until around mile 9, this is when the hills started to wreak havoc on me, both physically and mentally. Somewhere around this time was when my 1st unplanned walk came, I was going up a hill and my legs had nothing left in them. I walked to the top of the hill and then started running again, I repeated this process through several more of the rollers as I just didn't have the leg strength to climb them. I came to the top of the large hill and once again enjoyed the affect of gravity, as I ran the 1.5 miles back down the hill. From here made it back to the damn, and that thing now looked huge. There was a dirt path going halfway up then turned into a broken down set of stairs. I didn't think I was ever going to get to the top of this thing, it was one foot at a time until I reached the top. After this point the last 3 miles were a blur, mostly uphill with a walk/run method that was probably more of a walk. I slightly remember going down these hills enjoying them, now they were taking their revenge on me and just kept dolling out the pain.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe run a little slower early on, but I am not sure that would of helped. I was not prepared for the amount of hills that this run course had.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much other than enjoying the fact I was finally able to sit down

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition was just about spot on fir this race, I think.
Pre-Race: cereal, bagel coffee, then shortly before swim about 1/2 a large powerade
Bike: roughly 600 calories of infinit, 1 gel and 1 1/2 packs of chomps, total calories in around 900-1000
Run: 3 gels, small cup of infinit and small cup of coke. So another 400 calories.
Not sure I could of taken any more in...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 0/90
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: 2 lap course, basically straight down the shore line and back, done twice. Overall swim course was shortened due to the length of the run up to transition. Once out of the water it was a 1/4 mile run straight up the side of a mountain. Total swim according to watch was 0.93 with the run included came up to 1.15
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:22:21 | 56 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 56/90
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap course with lots of holes.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:20:58 | 13.1 miles | 10m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 53/90
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-24 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon

2014-06-25 6:25 PM
in reply to: #5017180

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon
Great race and solid effort. Sounds like quite the course, that run sounds pretty brutal. When you described the hill in the beginning I was thinking that would be a tough climb for me on the bike, then you said it was part of the run! Great job all around and it sounds like you paced it right and had your nutrition dialed in.
2014-06-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon
Matt great job and great race. Man that run course makes Syracuse sound easy, holy cow! I think you had a great swim and you did a great job pacing yourself on the bike and the run. That bike course sounds very tough but the run seems brutally unrelenting. I think you raced very smartly. This type of course is unforgiving and over exerting on the bike would have left you walking on the run. Just think how much faster you'd have been on a flatter course. Great job and congrats again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mohican Endurance Festival Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Triathlon

Started by JBacarella
Views: 1737 Posts: 3

2013-09-10 6:41 PM JoePetto

3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Triathlon

Started by jdmitch_BOPer
Views: 1368 Posts: 2

2013-09-08 8:30 PM JBacarella

Eureka Springs Multi Sport Endurance Festival 10k

Started by stateu
Views: 905 Posts: 2

2011-08-16 10:31 AM KansasMom

Eureka Springs Multi Sport Endurance Festival 100 mile

Started by stateu
Views: 917 Posts: 1

2011-08-16 9:18 AM stateu

Carrboro Classic Endurance Sports Festival Super Sprint

Started by jmkizer
Views: 909 Posts: 1

2010-09-07 5:16 PM jmkizer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 1, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Is it possible to race with bruised ribs?

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.