General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Official Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-02 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: USAT Official

So am thinking of taking the clinic and serving as an official for the experience. 

Any USAT Officials here?      Do you recommend it?  What has your experience been like?  

2014-07-02 8:49 PM
in reply to: oriolepwr

Veteran
Subject: RE: USAT Official
just be prepared, people will post about you on BT on how you unfairly gave them a penalty - wear it as badge of honor.
2014-07-02 9:18 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

The Bear is a USAT official. 

Mark

2014-07-02 9:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

there is a course?  I figured you would just need to show you understood the bike drafting/passing rules and beyond that no outside assistance or course cutting. 

edit: i guess there is some equipment and attire rules too. i have yet to see a wetsuit measured before a swim start though. 

Edited by Clempson 2014-07-02 9:21 PM
2014-07-02 11:04 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by oriolepwr

So am thinking of taking the clinic and serving as an official for the experience. 

Any USAT Officials here?      Do you recommend it?  What has your experience been like?  

I am going to my clinic next month. It's a 3 hour clinic, then I work as a probationary official the following day. My g/f is an official and says it is a rather straight forward process. Attend clinic, serve as an official for 3 races and then you can become a CAT 4 official and be head official at races. Also opens you up to stipends, travel pay, etc.

For everyone that always complains about lack of officials at races, problems with drafting, etc. You would think more people would volunteer their time to become an official.
2014-07-03 6:39 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by bcagle25

I am going to my clinic next month. It's a 3 hour clinic, then I work as a probationary official the following day. My g/f is an official and says it is a rather straight forward process. Attend clinic, serve as an official for 3 races and then you can become a CAT 4 official and be head official at races. Also opens you up to stipends, travel pay, etc. For everyone that always complains about lack of officials at races, problems with drafting, etc. You would think more people would volunteer their time to become an official.

i don't think lack of officials is because there are not enough certified people out there, i think RDs only hire(?) the amount they need to (i've never seen more than 2 at local races of ~400-500 racers).  actually, i never thought about doing it but it might be fun!

2014-07-03 6:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by mehaner

I am going to my clinic next month. It's a 3 hour clinic, then I work as a probationary official the following day. My g/f is an official and says it is a rather straight forward process. Attend clinic, serve as an official for 3 races and then you can become a CAT 4 official and be head official at races. Also opens you up to stipends, travel pay, etc. For everyone that always complains about lack of officials at races, problems with drafting, etc. You would think more people would volunteer their time to become an official.

i don't think lack of officials is because there are not enough certified people out there, i think RDs only hire(?) the amount they need to (i've never seen more than 2 at local races of ~400-500 racers).  actually, i never thought about doing it but it might be fun!

Yep, I really don't think it's the supply of certified officials that is the limiter (certainly not in this region) but rather the demand. You do not need certified officials to be a USAT-sanctioned race, so it's really up to the RD as to whether he/she wants the additional expense. With hotel accommodations and travel. cost of a single official can approach $400 (figure on $150 minimum). Also the number of officials is dictated by the size of the race, again not necessarily supply.

To Dave's original question, I do recommend it, all my experiences have been positive and it's a way to give back to the sport, You won't get rich doing this but you should have your time and travel paid for.

Especially recommend it if it takes your time away from fantasy football to give the rest of us a chance.

Edited by the bear 2014-07-03 6:59 AM
2014-07-03 12:23 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by mehaner

Yep, I really don't think it's the supply of certified officials that is the limiter (certainly not in this region) but rather the demand. You do not need certified officials to be a USAT-sanctioned race, so it's really up to the RD as to whether he/she wants the additional expense. With hotel accommodations and travel. cost of a single official can approach $400 (figure on $150 minimum). Also the number of officials is dictated by the size of the race, again not necessarily supply.

To Dave's original question, I do recommend it, all my experiences have been positive and it's a way to give back to the sport, You won't get rich doing this but you should have your time and travel paid for.

Especially recommend it if it takes your time away from fantasy football to give the rest of us a chance.

Interesting. So cost of officials time and travel goes into the race fees? Is being USAT sanctioned with certified officials covered at all by USAT sanctioning or is that incurred within the RD?
2014-07-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by bcagle25Interesting. So cost of officials time and travel goes into the race fees? 

Just like every other race-related expense, this is paid for by the participants. But in a 300-500 participant sprint, it works out that less than $1 of the $75+ entry fee would go to the officials.

Is being USAT sanctioned with certified officials covered at all by USAT sanctioning or is that incurred within the RD?

If I read the question correctly, in a typical race no part of sanctioning requires certified officials. In most cases it is the RD's choice to have (and to pay for) certified officials. The RD may also choose to self-officiate, e.g., have volunteer, non-certified marshals out on the course.

The exception that most readily comes to mind is championship races, which the USAT requires to have certified officials, IIRC.

2014-07-09 9:26 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Update: 

Was signed up to race Door County 1/2 Iron but life has gotten in the way of quality training.       I would have felt horrible with a DNS without salvaging some good out of it.  

SOOOO

I snagged the last spot for the  USAT official clinic @ Door!  Woot!   gonna be fun way to still participate in the event.     AND this way I won;t be all moping around on our family getaway trip.  

Ben:  Is that the clinic you are also attending? if so will see you there!

Bear:  I have already mock drafted like 100 times getting ready for year 3 of BTFFL2     So ready for football!

2014-07-09 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Update: 

Was signed up to race Door County 1/2 Iron but life has gotten in the way of quality training.       I would have felt horrible with a DNS without salvaging some good out of it.  

SOOOO

I snagged the last spot for the  USAT official clinic @ Door!  Woot!   gonna be fun way to still participate in the event.     AND this way I won;t be all moping around on our family getaway trip.  

Ben:  Is that the clinic you are also attending? if so will see you there!

Bear:  I have already mock drafted like 100 times getting ready for year 3 of BTFFL2     So ready for football!

Yup, I'll see you in Door.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Official Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any USAT Officials here?

Started by bcagle25
Views: 843 Posts: 4

2014-06-11 7:55 PM the bear

Questions for USAT Officials? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 1566 Posts: 32

2007-03-27 12:59 PM foolproof

Anyone a USAT official?

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 963 Posts: 19

2006-06-20 1:09 PM the bear

Any USAT officials out there?

Started by the bear
Views: 896 Posts: 5

2006-03-30 3:26 PM Marvarnett

USAT official observations

Started by madkat
Views: 827 Posts: 10

2005-09-12 9:45 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : March 29, 2011
author : USATriathlon
Robert Vigorito, the Mid-Atlantic Council Chair, discusses USAT and some of it's initiatives in 2011
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Team BT
USA Triathlon has announced that it will no longer sanction events owned by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) or Ironman North America (IMNA).
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : May 3, 2005
author : infosteward
Can the USAT serve its 50,000+ members largely made up of weekend warriors in search of age-group hardware, while catering to the small percent of elite or pro athletes?