United States
Iowa Games
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Showed, got dressed, ate my usual peanut butter Cliff bar and V8.
Event warmup:

Went for a swim in the lake to warm up. Got used to the cool water that felt great on the warm summer day. Also gave some reliefe from the biting bugs. Got all lined up and set to go when the annoucment was made that the race would be delayed 30+ minutes to allow a train to pass.
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first two hundred yards was a mass of human bodies. I kept running into people and had others run into me. I had to slow down just because I could not get past the wall of bodies. At the first bouy a bunch of people had stopped to site and of course I got caught up in that mass. Finally broke free and got going in a nice rhythm. Slightly upset that I got hung up on that turn but the rest of the swim went well. Rounded the thrid bouy with no problems and made my way to shore.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to get started so far behind the pack. Finally at the point on the short swims where I can start more towards the front and not get caught behind the other swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Got to my bike rack section quickly. Was a bit dizzy coming out of the water. Kept my speed at a walk and soon felt fine. Got everything on and in place and was off.

Nothing, happy with where my bike was placed, easy to get to and easy to find.
Bike
  • 53m 22s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the same three loop course it was over the past four years. I tried to be more agressive over the tight corners and turns in the road. Almost wrecked my bike and after that decided to play it safe and take it easy. Was going up the large hill the first time and came up on a biker who was having troubles getting her rear tire inflated. She already used her single CO2 cansiter. I stopped to give her mine only to find out that she had no clue on how to use it. After a quick tutor session I left her to figure out her tire and took off again. Trying to get going on the steepest part of the hill was not easy but I was able to sprint back up to speed and quickly passed everyone thaat had passed me while I was helping. Only ten minutes later after rounding a corner I hammered down on the cranks only to have my chain drop. I was so mad! This is only the second time in three years that my bike dropped the chain. Of course it took me several minutes to get the chain back on and functional again. Which of couse in turn got my hands all greesy and nastly. Wanted to wipe the sweat from my eyes but didn't want to get the greese all over either. So I just let the sweat run. Tried to get caught back up and soon caught the back of the pack and started to pass people. But I never left like I fully caught up to where I was before.

Nothing really. I know that if I didn't stop to help that lady I wouldn't be able to sleep at night and there was not much I could do about the chair. Still need to work on fast cornoring.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Quick transition again. Took a sip from my water and I was off. Was amazed that even though I went hard on the bike my legs actually felt decent.

Nothing!
Run
  • 30m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

By this time it was HOT out. The run course had us going in and out of the tree lined path so it really wan't to bad as long as I didn't stay to long in the sun. I ran for a count of 100 with is six steps per one count then walked for 30 seconds. This helped keep my legs functional but still moving. Seemed like for every two people I passed I was passed by one. Still didn't like having to run a portion of it on the uneven grass but managed to not fall this time around. Came up on a lady who looked and sounded close to total collaps. I stopped to make sure she was ok then moved on with my run again.

The support on the course was great and reminded me of why I love this tri so much. Got some water at the aid stations and was soon off again. As I approaced the finish line I gave it one final last push and before I knew it, the tri was over.

Nothing! Happy with my run/walk intervals to keep my legs moving at a steady pase. Really didn't loose speed on the last few run sections.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my bottle of water, ate a few bites before I found a shady spot to stretch. While waiting for the results to be posted I ran down to the beach, showered, changed cloths and found another shady spot to relax. Found out that I managed to get a second place win in my division!!! That really suprised me considering that I stopped three times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I don't like the heat but I think I did well considering how hot it was out there.

Event comments:

This remains one of my all time favoriate races. Will look forward to coming back next year.

Last updated: 2014-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 440 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Counter clockwise in Easter Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:22 | 15 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Three loop course through winding streats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:35 | 03.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Course: Two loop out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Iowa Games Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iowa Games Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iowa Games Triathlon

Started by phyre_cyclone
Views: 809 Posts: 1

2011-12-26 5:00 PM phyre_cyclone

Iowa Games Triathlon

Started by Hubbie
Views: 1130 Posts: 1

2011-07-20 3:01 AM Hubbie

Iowa Games Triathlon

Started by disturbed275
Views: 2210 Posts: 5

2010-07-14 10:17 AM kimk

Iowa Games Triathlon

Started by disturbed275
Views: 2256 Posts: 11

2009-07-14 3:11 PM ceilidh

Iowa Games Triathlon

Started by CLLinIA
Views: 1243 Posts: 6

2004-07-19 5:52 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
comments : 0
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.