General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Regional Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-14 9:06 AM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: USAT Regional Championship
What is the significance of the Regional Championships?? Does it get you in to another championship if you win?? does it get you to worlds??

2014-07-14 12:04 PM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: USAT Regional Championship

My knowledge on the subject is just from what I've read because I am still pursuing a trip to USAT Nationals but the Regional Championships serve as another opportunity to qualify for Nationals.  One can qualify for Nationals by placing in the top 10% in their age group at any USAT sanctioned event or by placing in the top 33% of their age group at a regional championship.  Look at the USAT website for more complete rules, etc.

2014-07-14 7:27 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Exactly what he said.

Regional's are typically more competitive, and bigger fields. So they allow a greater % to qualify for Nationals.
2014-07-15 2:25 PM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
So its easier at Regionals to qualify....
2014-07-15 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by husse23

So its easier at Regionals to qualify....

Not necessarily. Depends on who shows up.

A lot of people don't know this but you can qualify for USAT Nationals OLYMPIC Distance by finishing top 10% in your AG at a USAT sanctioned SPRINT Distance race. At least around these parts, a higher percentage of the "fasties" do the olympic distances so often times there's more opportunity at the sprint distance.

Also, if your AG has 15 and you get 2nd, you're IN even though it's not technically top 10%. USAT round up rule. There's an example in the qualifying section on USAT's website.
2014-07-16 7:27 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by reecealan
Originally posted by husse23 So its easier at Regionals to qualify....
Not necessarily. Depends on who shows up. A lot of people don't know this but you can qualify for USAT Nationals OLYMPIC Distance by finishing top 10% in your AG at a USAT sanctioned SPRINT Distance race. At least around these parts, a higher percentage of the "fasties" do the olympic distances so often times there's more opportunity at the sprint distance. Also, if your AG has 15 and you get 2nd, you're IN even though it's not technically top 10%. USAT round up rule. There's an example in the qualifying section on USAT's website.

Yeah, the regional qualifiers here have tended to be more popular races and tend to draw some faster crowds even when not being a regional qualifier. And to expand on the sprint to qualify, you can also do it with long course events. Basically just needs to be at a USAT sanctioned triathlon.

USAT seems to be picking up some momentum with Nationals recently. Hoping they can continue that and carry it into the regional qualifiers to keep growing all areas of the sport.

2014-07-16 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Not necessarily. Depends on who shows up. A lot of people don't know this but you can qualify for USAT Nationals OLYMPIC Distance by finishing top 10% in your AG at a USAT sanctioned SPRINT Distance race. At least around these parts, a higher percentage of the "fasties" do the olympic distances so often times there's more opportunity at the sprint distance. Also, if your AG has 15 and you get 2nd, you're IN even though it's not technically top 10%. USAT round up rule. There's an example in the qualifying section on USAT's website.

Good point about qualifying through a sprint.  I've been looking through prior year race results in the area trying to figure out which would give me the best opportunity to qualify.  And yes, the fields generally aren't as deep in the sprints if there is an olympic as part of the event.  But like you said it is all about who shows up. 

2014-07-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by popsracer

Good point about qualifying through a sprint.  I've been looking through prior year race results in the area trying to figure out which would give me the best opportunity to qualify.  And yes, the fields generally aren't as deep in the sprints if there is an olympic as part of the event.  But like you said it is all about who shows up. 

I just looked at the Midwest Regional results from last year (Omaha Triathlon) and to the OP's point, not that strong last year. In my AG I would have qualified with a 3:00 finish time, winner in my AG came in at 2:35. In the M30-34 AG the winning time was 2:22 but top third time to beat was around 2:45.

Not sure how other regionals stack up but definitely something to look at if you want to go to Nationals.
2014-07-16 8:20 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
The Sprint portion of the Chicago Tri is a great place to qualify. Tons of people, lots of first timers and the heavy hitters gravitate toward the Oly. I wish they would separate it out though…require qualification to do the Nats Sprint race too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USAT Regional Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championships

Started by C_Hassard
Views: 1948 Posts: 15

2013-06-20 4:41 PM paxsarah

USAT AG National Championships

Started by velocomp
Views: 1740 Posts: 9

2008-08-22 11:06 AM E=H2O

USAT national championship race qualifications??

Started by trixie
Views: 2087 Posts: 11

2007-03-12 2:14 PM markdills38

USAT Regional Websites

Started by norakraemer
Views: 764 Posts: 4

2006-10-10 10:23 PM norakraemer

need a usat membership?

Started by ccessex
Views: 722 Posts: 4

2004-04-30 2:46 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
Most triathlons in America are held under USA Triathlon sanctioning. Last year I finally got a national ranking. Here are a few reasons to join.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.