United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 58m 24s
Overall Rank = 168/1200
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 21/88
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate a banana and a Cliff Bar and sipped some Gatorade. Thought I was getting to the race site plenty early (like others) but the line of cars to get in to the park was moving very slowly. I rode my bike down to T1 and got that set up, and jogged up to T2 and got that set up in plenty of time. They did push back the start 15 minutes though, as I did see a lot of people scrambling to get their transitions set up.
Event warmup:

Besides the jog up to T2 I just tried to stretch out and use the bathroom before I took off.
Swim
  • 34m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

With hardly any waves it made it easy to get in to a nice rhythm and breath efficiently. I've been working on my sighting and I think that helped too. Fastest HIM swim I've done and it wasn't without effort. Just tried to be efficient and make long strokes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Had a long ways to run with my bike out of T2, but good transition.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 44m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I was the most concerned about my bike split for this race. I've put in a lot of time on the bike but my times haven't been as fast as I would like. I was hoping for sub 2:40 but can't really complain with a 2:44. As usual I flew up the hills and tried to coast down the hills. Passed a lot of people going up hills. Stopped at the final aid station at mile 45 to use the bathroom. Really didn't want to hold it until T2. Did good with my nutrition plan and had no cramping issues. 4 gels, 4 salt tabs, 3.5 bottles and a bonk breaker.

Not sure. Some more bike training, although I've trained more on the bike this year than last year and was a little slower this year.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I left my shoes on when I dismounted instead of taking them out like usual. I did this because I knew the grass in T2 was wet and didn't want to get my feet wet. I changed socks, which I like to do so I have nice dry socks for the run. Besides the socks and taking my shoes off it was a good T2.
Run
  • 1h 34m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to break 5:00 or at least try to beat my PR of 5:09. After the bike I didn't think I had a chance at sub 5:00 but if I could put together a good run, I could PR. My right foot has been bugging me a little and got a little sore on the bike. Wasn't sure how it would hold up on the run.

I started out feeling good but the foot was sore right away. It held on OK during the first lap and then actually felt pretty good the 2nd lap. I wasn't going to push it if it started to hurt too much. I don't run with a watch so I was very surprised by my 1:34.

The run hurt, but I kept pushing at a solid pace I thought I could hold and just tried to embrace the suck and count down the miles to the finish. Was ecstatic when I found out how fast I had run and broke the 5 hour mark for the first time.

Part of the faster run time than last year is I didn't walk as much in the aid stations. I got a drink, and quickly started running again instead of taking my time.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Just rested and put some ice on my hamstrings

Event comments:

WTC always puts on an amazing race and this was no exception. I was extremely happy with my performance and how the day went. Was pretty exhausted afterwards but wasn't de-hydrated. I've really got my nutrition dialed in I think.

Last updated: 2013-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/88
Overall: 273/1200
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back, counter clockwise
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:44:05 | 56 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/88
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:34:17 | 13.1 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/88
Overall: 90/1200
Course: Double loop with out and backs
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-07-20 3:58 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Kansas
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Kansas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by Swimthetide
Views: 1499 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 4:09 PM Swimthetide

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by harleyclone
Views: 1438 Posts: 1

2011-06-14 2:04 PM harleyclone

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by RazorTri
Views: 2277 Posts: 9

2011-06-30 6:03 AM todds

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by remodelig47
Views: 1459 Posts: 2

2011-06-13 8:53 PM bsjracing

Ironman 70.3 Kansas

Started by rrcm
Views: 1668 Posts: 4

2011-06-15 9:09 PM disturbed275
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.