General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri tomorrow, need advice on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-26 6:21 PM

Subject: First Tri tomorrow, need advice on bike
Doing my first Tri tomorrow. 1K Swim / 20K Bike / 8K Run.
I've only got a mountain bike; this is what i've been training on. It's a KHS Alite 1000. For gear ratios it's got 3 & 9, and on this bike i've got clip pedals & shoes.
My friend has offered up his road bike. it has the same gear ratio as my mountain bike 3 & 9. Weight on this bike and my mountain bike are about the same; road bike slightly less. The road bike's tires only pump up to a max of 80psi... i'm a 205lbs fella. I do know that while the bike track is on the road; it's a road.. fair amount of pot holes , we'll cross 2 sets of rail roads. Also on the road bike i cannot for the life of me get my clip pedals to thread into it. It looks like whoever installed his normal flat pedals the very first time mis threaded it. I can get his old ones on there no problem and tight, but my clip ones will not go without really cranking on em.. which i'm sure will strip it.
So, if i use the road bike what PSI should i use? i'm sure if i pump to a max of 80 i'll surely bust em in our pot holes. Or should i just use my mountain bike.. In my head i think i'll be faster on the road bike but where i have the same gear ratio's... is that even the case?

2014-07-26 6:34 PM
in reply to: itrunner

User image

Subject: RE: First Tri tomorrow, need advice on bike
If it's your first triathlon should you worry about these things. I would choose road bike, hired for myself time ago while all my training was on MTB just be sure you will be comfortable on it.
2014-07-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: Yuriy

User image

Veteran
Central VA
While the road bike would be a better choice, I have serious doubts if this is the first time you've rode it.

Try nothing new on race day.

Road bike tires usually run around 100psi. (700x23)
2014-07-26 9:13 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by itrunner Doing my first Tri tomorrow. 1K Swim / 20K Bike / 8K Run. I've only got a mountain bike; this is what i've been training on. It's a KHS Alite 1000. For gear ratios it's got 3 & 9, and on this bike i've got clip pedals & shoes. My friend has offered up his road bike. it has the same gear ratio as my mountain bike 3 & 9. Weight on this bike and my mountain bike are about the same; road bike slightly less. The road bike's tires only pump up to a max of 80psi... i'm a 205lbs fella. I do know that while the bike track is on the road; it's a road.. fair amount of pot holes , we'll cross 2 sets of rail roads. Also on the road bike i cannot for the life of me get my clip pedals to thread into it. It looks like whoever installed his normal flat pedals the very first time mis threaded it. I can get his old ones on there no problem and tight, but my clip ones will not go without really cranking on em.. which i'm sure will strip it. So, if i use the road bike what PSI should i use? i'm sure if i pump to a max of 80 i'll surely bust em in our pot holes. Or should i just use my mountain bike.. In my head i think i'll be faster on the road bike but where i have the same gear ratio's... is that even the case?

^^^Buuuut, did you notice how many doubts you have about the road bike? You don't need to add an unknown factor to everything else you'll be thinking about. It's your first tri...ride what you're comfortable and trained on. Enjoy the race!

2014-07-26 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It sounds like you have not ridden the road bike yet. I would not even consider using it if the first time you swing your leg over will be the day before the race. Go with what you know, and use the road bike next time.
2014-07-26 10:32 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

I bought my first proper road bike (and only one actually) just before my first sprint. I had been training on a flat bar. Using in the race wasn't a bad idea as such, but it wasn't good. Althought I had been 'set up', my positioning was completely wrong and caused me a lot of pain.

Use what you train with. Never try something new in a race (especially your first!!!)

Good luck and have a blast

2014-07-27 12:49 AM
in reply to: engima

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Race with the bike you've been riding, then do the same race next year and enjoy the improvements from a faster bike and a faster you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri tomorrow, need advice on bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chilly Tri Tomorrow - Advice Needed !

Started by datlas
Views: 1389 Posts: 8

2013-09-15 8:34 PM bikerchick2930

First Tri Bike (P2)..advice needed

Started by stevelaz
Views: 1289 Posts: 10

2012-01-23 6:42 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Tri Bike vs. Road Bike (expert advice needed)

Started by strojny06
Views: 2305 Posts: 25

2009-08-19 10:45 AM Global

FIRST TRI TOMORROW....any advice???

Started by triitagain
Views: 899 Posts: 10

2009-06-20 9:10 PM jkward

Need advice for first Tri on Sun.

Started by ridinfences
Views: 713 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 10:22 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.