Gault Race Management
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 17s
Overall Rank = 315/1058
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, 90 minute drive to Hell, MI, scarfed some McDonalds along the way. Parked in a field with weeds up to my waist.

Stood in line to get a race number and T-Shirt, then ran our jackets back to the car - it was COLD.

Stood guard while G8RSAX peed in the portable changing tent, I mean the running board on my Tahoe. AND...coincidentally, at the exact same moment, elsewhere else at the race site, TRIXIE was sitting on her step up bar on her 4Runner doing the exact same thing. They have a karmic urine connection that's too strong for any of us to understand.

Event warmup:

Met Greg (fromer) and his sister Carole, and stood around for a while waiting for the race to start, and watching Wendi slowly solidify into a G8Rcicle.

/DOM on/ No warm up, per se, other than watching a crapload of girls high-school cross country teams filter past. Man, this race was full of young, young people. /DOM off/
Run
  • 38m 17s
  • 4.8 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off well...the first mile includes a HUGE uphill, which I hammered through...clicking off the first mile, chasing down the high school crowd.

Got to Mile 1 aid station, and stopped to take a water, and instantly my left hamstring cramped....ugh. Spent 30 seconds stretching it out...dammit, then took off after the HS x-country teams again...

More rollers, grabbed a water at the 3 mile aid station and slowed to drink it, and again, hamstring cramps. THIS time it took a minute to stretch my leg into runnable shape...dammit again. Took off...

At mile 4, there was a devil standing in the road...directing traffic...4.8 milers to the left, 10-milers to the right. I didn't feel like fighting my hamstrings for 10, so I bailed on the longer run and went left to finish the 4.8 (even though I was signed up for the 10). And the devil was passing out atomic fireballs, so I grabbed one and ate it.

The last mile was a longish downhill, then about a .3 mile uphill to get to the finishing chute. The atomic fireball was burning a hole in my head as I pounded up the last hill, then down to the finish.

Interesting finish, though...As I got to the finish line, I didn't want to foul up the timing by running my 10mi chip across the mat in 4.8mi time, so I went AROUND the mats, found a timing official, asked what I should do, and he took my name to adjust the results and told me to go back over the mat. So I waded my way through the crowd, jumped back into the finishing chute, and finished. That probably cost me a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Stretch. Hydrate.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked BACK up the hills and to the last mile; Saw FROMER finish, he was looking smooth. Found Wendi and Trix and jogged in with them - dammit, I had to do that hill AGAIN! They finished, then we got some cookies, a beer (thanks, greg!!!), bad gatorade, and - what else - did some shopping?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hamstring cramps. Timing chip issues.

Event comments:

A runner's run...a hard run on hilly terrain. Not for PR'ing, but a fantastic training run.

I was happy with my performance, even with the cramps. The time was still sub 8's, even including 1 minute of chip timing and 1:30 of walking due to cramps...so while I was moving, I was running 7:27's, over those hills. Not bad...

And it was good company, as always...thanks for the good times, Trix, Wendi, Greg, and Carole. :)

Last updated: 2006-08-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:17 | 04.8 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/39
Overall: 0/1058
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling to major hills, never a flat, mostly dirt roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-15 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Run Thru Hell - 4.8 Mile

2006-08-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: #511998

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Run Thru Hell - 4.8 Mile

I GOTTA come race with you gusy in Michigan!  You always have so much fun!

Next season...next season...

2006-08-15 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Stood in line to get a race number and T-Shirt, then ran our jackets back to the car - it was COLD.

It was NOT cold.  I think you've been hanging out with Wendi too much.

It would be interesting to see what type of time you could post if it were not for cramping up. 

Darn HS kids.  We'll get them next time.

Nice work.

2006-08-16 11:36 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Rochester Marathon and Half Marathon

Sept. 17. Flat. On the canal path.

Could be a good tune up for the MCM.

Just sayin'.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!