General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
St Louis, MO
United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 35s
Overall Rank = 13/101
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Tried to eat my usual pre-race breakfast, a blueberry smoothie with a scoop of protein-shake powder and two pieces of toast, and my stomach was annoyed at being woken up so early and would only accept half a piece of toast. Drank some Accelerade/Gatorade mix on the drive over to the race site.
Event warmup:

None. No lanes were open in the pool, so three minutes before my heat I got in and did about 10 strokes, but that was it. Too busy setting up my transition area and running to and from the bathroom before that. :-)
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Caught a good draft on the guy in front of me! I projected my finishing time as around 8:00, and he projected around 7:15, so I figured I'd lose him in the first 50m, but I stayed with him easily for the first 3 1/2 laps and passed him on the fourth!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I could have gone a little faster, but I would have lost my draft so it probably wouldn't have been worth it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I think that drying my feet off before putting my socks and shoes on takes a long time. But I don't want grass and dirt inside my shoes, giving me blisters throughout the bike and run, so I don't know how to get around that.
Bike
  • 47m
  • 14.3 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Used my Cateye for the first time -- I LOVE it! It told me what gear to be in the whole time! I'd been guessing at my cadence until now, and this made it SO EASY -- all I had to do was glance at my computer, and I knew whether I should be upshifting or downshifting. As soon as my cadence dropped below 85 or rose above 105, I'd shift. It was wonderful.

The above being said, my speed was pretty low. It was even lower than it was in my last race, which I felt was a much hillier and more challenging course. I think I REALLY need to work on speed on the flats, and I also might need to get fitted properly on my bike. I felt like I couldn't get forward far enough over my aerobars to really rest on them, and I probably need a shorter stem.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

They didn't time splits, so I have no idea how I actually did at the transitions. I'm guessing, based on knowing my times for the swim and the bike. I'm pretty sure that my transitions are inefficient, though.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was HARD. I had to stop and WALK, TWICE. On a 3-mile course. Up both of those hills. :-) And here I'm really confused, because I have my official finishing time; and I have my swim time because there was a guy with a stopwatch calling them out when we left the pool; and I have my bike time from my cyclocomputer; but if you add up all the times I know and subtract them from my finishing time, it says I did the run at about 6:20 pace, which is just silly. So based on how I felt, the fact that I walked up two hills, and the pace at which I usually do 10K road races, I'm guessing at my time for this leg.

I think I would still walk up the hills. I would have felt horrible if I had insisted on running up them, and I think my overall pace would have been slower as a result. I think the difference should be in training -- I obviously need to do more hill work. I equally obviously need to do more long bricks. Let's see if I take my own advice this time. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, packed up my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. I need to train faster, obviously. I also need to do more bricks (see above).

Event comments:

I was 2/12 for my age group! I placed! I was so excited! It was doubly cool because I did a 4M road race the day before, and placed 2nd in my AG in that one, too, and then I ran another 6 miles, so I thought I was going to be really tired for this race and not do very well. But I think I did about as well as I could have given my training, so I was pleased. And it was a nice race. The volunteers were really nice, the pool was wonderful, the run course was a lot of fun (except there were some confusing points in the run course. I only knew where to go a couple of times because there was someone ahead of me -- they should have had either more signs, or volunteers directing people at these points). It was a lot of fun! I love triathlons!

Last updated: 2004-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 400 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/101
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 50 m pool, laps in lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:00 | 14.3 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
HRM wasn't reading properly because I was leaning over my aerobars -- it seems like I have to sit/stand up straight for it to get a reading.
Wind: Little
Course: First mile or so was downhill, then we did two laps of a 6-ish mile double out-and-back, then back up that hill. Traffic was well-controlled over most of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Course: Quarter-mile flat, then up a loooooonnnng hill (half? quarter mile?), then downhill, then cross-country for a while (I really liked that part) then up hill again, then down the long hill, then flat to the finish!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-07-13 4:54 PM

Veteran
MO
Subject: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2004-07-13 7:32 PM
in reply to: #37180

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon
Great Job!!
2004-07-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: #37180

, Alabama
Subject: RE: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS!

Awesome job.  Really good times on all events.  Sounds like you were really thinking out there.

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed