Northern Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 25s
Overall Rank = 136/540
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/38
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30. OJ and 1/2 banana. AM necessities. Filled water bottles. Loaded gear and left. Nibbled rest of banana and sipped water on the ride. Had to stop at a DD on the way up for a small caffeinated coffee. Transition opened at 5:30 AM, so around 5:00, started drinking coffee with clif bar. Got there and got a great spot. Very short line to get into transition. Nice chit-chat with other racers. A nice vibe. Set up bike, walked transition and counted racks/made note of the landmarks. Hit the bathroom one more time and felt pretty calm. Met up with other club members and had a nice chat.
Event warmup:

Walked about 10 min and looked at the bike turnaround and the beach/buoys/sunrise. Run and swim stretches. Jogged back. Stretched and swam about 50 - 75 yds in the surf before the event.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did not rush out with the first group, but I also did not wait back too far. I really got in there and got to work. A few dolphin dives and then took off. There was a lot of jostling for position around first buoy. I just ignored it and kept swimming. In fact, there was a lot of body contact through most of the course. Tried drafting a couple times. Did get to the outside rather than the inside, and my time may have suffered a little because of it. Only some uneasiness about 3/4 of the way through. Just persevered and counted strokes. A successful strategy is once I feel I'm pointed in the right direction, keep sighting to a minimum ~every 20 strokes, so I can get into a groove. I did wear my Tempo Trainer at 1:10 s per stroke. Could have gone harder, but at 1:46/100, I'm pretty satisfied with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe set tempo trainer a little faster. Was a little dissatisfied with my finish. I got up out of the water a little too early, went back to swimming, then tried to bodysurf my way in a little, with little results. I was pretty out of breath when I came out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

The only thing was that I was a little winded after the swim, so I walked about 15 -- 20 feet. There were others doing the same thing. There was a couple hundred meter run up the sand, down a sidewalk, and then taking concrete steps down to transition. Still, all tasks completed swiftly, and was out and on bike pretty quickly. Running mount and the whole thing when really well.

Not much. I estimated 1:30, but really, that was about the very BEST time in the entire race for T1, because of the distance. I ranked 11/38 in my age group and 89/540 overall for T1, so I'm pretty satisfied. Probably could have gotten under 2:00, but it's all good!
Bike
  • 40m
  • 13 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

This is about what I was expecting, but did not feel a consistent performance. I got passed by a ton of very high-performing speedsters. I passed a bunch of folks, too. Did some leapfrog with another guy on his first lap. Got up to about 26 when passing a group. It was somewhat congested at times. I really thought I'd be cruising around 20-21, which I did some times, but not always. Had 2 shot blocks in T1 (16 g carbs), a GU gel toward the end of the 1st lap, and then another about 10 min out from the dismount. I drank about 30 oz water (est).

More focus on circular rotation movement. Need more training on the tri bike, because I have more in me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I ranked 25/38 in my age group and 178/540 overall. Not sure. Just think I was a bit tired and burnt from the bike finish. A little slower than I expected (was aiming for about 1 min).

Better at racking bike. I racked handlebars, and it slid over. Had to re-rack it once which lost me some time. My feet were sandy from the transition, so I washed them again, which was not part of the plan and took a little extra time.
Run
  • 26m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not drink much on the run. A little, but mostly poured it on myself to cool off. Wanted to start out at a moderate pace around 8:15/mile and negative split after that each mile, so I ended up somewhere around/under 8:00/mile. Instead, 1st mile was too slow, and I was nervous about picking up the pace too much. I did have a few self-doubts, but then just pushed them out of my mind. Encouraged another 40-something who was walking about 1/2 way through the run. He picked it up and was out in front of me, which I bristled at! I kept him in my sights, and picked up my pace the last mile. With about 1/4 mile left to go, I pushed the pace and passed him and 2 other 40's and then sprinted across the finish. That was the most triumphant feeling -- making that choice and going all-out to improve my position.

Faster starting pace. More bricks. Really, good performance given my knee issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching. Two bottles water and some oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time off for injury rehab. New to bike. Only riding it since April and then only fit properly with right saddle for about a month and a half.

Event comments:

Well-organized and marked. Great volunteers and lots of water stations. They even announced names as runners were finishing, which was really cool. Also, got a chance to hang with a lot of club members and got to meet some nice people. Would definitely do it again next year.

Post-race food offering sucked. Little nibbles/bites. Nothing really to replenish.

Last updated: 2014-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/38
Overall: 144/540
Performance: Good
Supposed to be 660, but it felt long, and 2 others with Garmins confirmed the distance was .5 miles instead of 3/8.
Suit: Tri Shorts/top
Course: Out 50 yds to a buoy, turn north swimming parallel to shore. Second set of buoys mid-course, then one more and a turn to shore to swim out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:00 | 13 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/38
Overall: 236/540
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Flat. 2 loops with 3 turnarounds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:10 | 03.1 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/38
Overall: 148/540
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:48, Mile 2: 8:26, Last mile around 7:30 (est.)
Course: Out-and-back. Mostly flat, but a little rolling hill inside Jupiter Inlet Park. Not as hot as expected.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-03 2:59 PM

User image

Subject: Loggerhead Triathlon

2014-08-03 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5034416

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon

Really well done Gary.  Sounded like an all round good race.

2014-08-04 4:57 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Sounds like a great race! Lots of fun and athletically satisfying. Can't ask for more than that!

2014-08-04 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

great race...one day i will be able to race like that

2014-08-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Really well done Gary.  Sounded like an all round good race.

Thanks for taking the time to read and offer feedback. Definitely want to get faster on the bike. Going to need some guidance on how to do that!
2014-08-04 10:30 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Originally posted by Taringa

Sounds like a great race! Lots of fun and athletically satisfying. Can't ask for more than that!

I agree. It really was a great time. Itching to get back to training. Sore hammy, so will rest up a couple days then double down for my next race in a few weeks. Thanks again for the feedback.

2014-08-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

great race...one day i will be able to race like that

Thanks! I've got a lot to learn, especially about training. Hoping to make some gains this season, show up injury-free next season, and start becoming a little more competitive. Don't ever expect to podium, but I'd like to feel like I'm reaching my 42-year-old potential!
2014-08-04 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Nice race! Great swim time, wow! And way to pick up the pace at the end. I'm not usually able to do that. Glad you could do it in spite of recent injury. Happy recovery.

2014-08-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Originally posted by miche033

Nice race! Great swim time, wow! And way to pick up the pace at the end. I'm not usually able to do that. Glad you could do it in spite of recent injury. Happy recovery.

Thanks. I'm pleased with my performance and met most of my goals (with qualifiers!). I'm encouraged that I can improve, and I'm putting together my new training schedule with that in mind, particularly the bike, which I think is where the most time can be gained.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

20th Anniversary Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by icafunding
Views: 1635 Posts: 2

2006-08-14 1:56 PM MomX3

20th Anniversary Loggerhead Triathlon

Started by edwardskrod
Views: 1448 Posts: 1

2006-08-14 9:39 AM edwardskrod