General Discussion Race Reports! » Petoskey Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Petoskey Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Petoskey, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 34s
Overall Rank = 34/58
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am. Had a banana and a couple of eggs with warm tea to get the plumbing flowing. Popped an Imodium before the race. Arrived at transition early and setup. I was very nervous but enjoyed looking at the bikes and seeing how everyone else handled transition.
Event warmup:

Does getting into my wetsuit count?
Swim
  • 09m 34s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went great but water was cold. Goal was to break 12 with a stretch goal of 10. I started at the back of the pack and it cost me 30-40 seconds to get clear of people. Hopefully the wetsuit fits better next season as I had a serious case of man boobs! I looked at previous years and I would have been first out of the swim in my age group. This year was definitely more competitive. Couldn't believe I was in the top 20 overall with one week of training!
What would you do differently?:

Line up towards the middle of the pack. Other than that, I'm happy. I only trained my swim for a week before I injured my ankle (apparently you aren't supposed to go from 0 - 1500 meters everyday overnight).
Transition 1
  • 06m 35s
Comments:

Slow transition. Approximately 400m from swim to t1 which did not help. I was 5/9 in the group, people ahead of me were 4:17, 4:57, 5:23, 5:26. I think I can get to the 3rd place position easily with changes mentioned below. I was confused as to why everyone had 5 gallon buckets at transition but it made sense once I saw them use the bucket as a seat to put on socks and shoes.

I need a tri top and one watch to wear throughout the race. I also need to make sure HR monitor is waterproof and wear that along with number belt under my wetsuit. This would probably cut at least a minute or two of transition time, even more if I go without socks. Cycling gloves weren't necessary at this distance and were a pain to get on.
Bike
  • 42m 5s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.51 km/hr
Comments:

Bike went well but the course was a little short. I was passed by a few people on fancy bikes and passed a few people (mainly women). I did pass one guy around my age, so that made me happy. I don't think bike shoes make a huge difference at this distance. More hills than advertised. The median person was 1 minute faster than me, so I was pretty average.

Lose weight (approximately 35 pounds). I need to get stronger on the climbs and improve my overall engine before I can justify the cost of a new bike. I told my wife that when I hit 180 I get a bike. My dad chirped in that HE would buy me a bike if/when I hit 180, so bonus motivation!
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

7th fastest T2 time overall! This is probably due to wearing my running shoes instead of bike shoes, but it still felt awesome to come in the top 10 in at least one "event"

Need more bricks to prepare for how my legs feel when I get off the bike.
Run
  • 29m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Definitely my weakest event. Fortunately it's also the most affected by my weight so losing 35 pounds will make a big difference here. My feet were killing me during the run, but I ignored it as best I could. This was right around my 10k pace so I was happy with that. I need to decide what I want to focus on next year once I'm done with half marathon training. Regardless of whether it's sprints or Olympic distance, I need to get faster on the run. My second watch didn't locate satellites until .33 miles into the run. That pissed me off.

Lose weight, get a better watch, possibly some speed work. It's depressing watching everyone pass me on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the grass basking in my awesomeness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight. Surprisingly my ability in a given sport seems to be inversely related to the amount of time I spent training it. I spent the least amount of time swimming, then biking, with running taking up most of my time. I performed best in swimming, then biking, and was terrible on the run.

Event comments:

This was a wonderful race and a great experience for my first triathlon. My goal was 1:35 - 1:37, so I crushed that. I will definitely be back! I might move up to Olympic distance next year, but will be completing the sprint course in Petoskey to see how much I have improved.

Last updated: 2014-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:34 | 500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 18/58
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:35
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:05 | 20 kms | 28.51 km/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 33/58
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Supposedly flat, but I say nay nay. Starts with a 3/4 mile climb to the top of Petoskey and then loops around the high school and out of town. Miles 2-4 were flat to downhill. 5-9 was a pretty continuous uphill. Steep downhill coming back into town and I had to ride my brakes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:41 | 03.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 48/58
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice course. Starts on Bay street and runs along the bike path to the old church/cemetery where you turn around and head back up the bike path towards Bear River. Tough uphill mile to the upper trail head where you turn around and have a nice downhill mile to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-08-18 9:19 AM

User image

Subject: Petoskey Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Petoskey Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by leechr12
Views: 725 Posts: 1

2012-08-12 7:51 PM leechr12

Petoskey Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by kentcart
Views: 1288 Posts: 1

2011-08-14 4:16 PM kentcart

Petoskey Sprint Triathlon

Started by LonColeman1
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2007-08-06 12:02 PM LonColeman1

Petoskey Sprint Triathlon

Started by holalyje
Views: 1195 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 4:27 PM holalyje

Petoskey Epic Triathlon

Started by twrussold
Views: 842 Posts: 1

2006-08-21 1:56 PM twrussold
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.