United States
Set Up Events
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 41m 29s
Overall Rank = 444/532
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/29
Pre-race routine:

Made sure to get there early as traffic backs up on the 2-lane road at least a mile before the site, and long walk from parking area. It took me 15 mins. to go the last mile in stop-and-crawl traffic but I had allowed enough time.
Swim
  • 36m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold, but doable. Large wave start but not much bumping after the start, plenty of room to spread out. Beautiful lake, nice course, loved this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Went out a little too fast. In this cold water, my body can't handle a fast start. The Y pool is usually 84 degrees, nowhere near 68!
Transition 1
  • 05m 49s
Comments:

Couldn't find my bike! Wow, that was awful! Really slow T1.

I usually run through the entrance to T1 to my rack as a warmup but didn't have time. Learned that lesson.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 32s
  • 52 miles
  • 14.21 mile/hr
Comments:

From the very first mile of the bike I had severe stomach cramps, especially in my ribs. I could barely pedal and had to stop several times. This has never happened to me and I'm not sure why I had the cramps. It was so painful! Some other racers said they had cramps from the cold water. But I did the international distance last year in Lake Logan when the water was even colder and I had no problems. Nothing changed this race day from all the other races I have done. I have no clue went wrong. I am a slow cyclist anyway but watching so many people pass me that I knew I could beat, and not being able to do anything about it, was really hard mentally. I caught a few people walking their bikes up the last few hills and that was it. I was pretty bummed and if a SAG wagon had showed up I might have quit, it hurt so bad. I never get any kind of cramps and was just not used to the pain.

Wish I knew...
Transition 2
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

Walked and jogged the bike in, trying to decide if I could run. I thought that if I could just get off the bike and out of a seated position, the cramps might subside. I walked in to T1, knew where my rack was this time at least and thought about calling it a day. By this point some people were finished and I knew it would feel so good to stop! But I just can't quit a big race. Knowing I was way behind and wouldn't hit my goal anyway allowed me to take my time and just enjoy what I could. What else can you do.

If I didn't have cramps I would have hurried and cut that time in half.
Run
  • 2h 14m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

The first aid station is 1.2 miles into the run, and all I wanted was Coke to see if that would help my stomach. Jogged to the aid station and was feeling a little better. At the aid station I drank several cups of Coke and water. I wasn't able to eat anything during the bike except half a bar that I forced down and drank maybe half a water bottle, so I also wanted to try some food to keep me going. Ate a pretzel stick, had a little more to drink, ate a pretzel, had a drink... Did this for a while, wiped down with a cold towel, used the porta-potty, I was there probably 10 minutes! But I was starting to feel better. I kept feeling better and better and ran well the second half, especially the last 3 downhill miles, when I really pushed it. I spent a lot of time at aid stations the first 5-6 miles, but hardly any afterward to catch up. Since I didn't use my legs much on the bike, barely pedaling through most of it, I think I had more in the tank for the run.

I thought I would hate this course because of the repetition, but it was great seeing so many people and knowing what to prepare for. I run well on hills so this course suited me and my time somehow wasn't that far off my usual half-iron distance time, even with the stopping. Someone said his GPS measured the course at like 12.8 miles, so maybe it was short. Overall, I actually loved this run, at least the last two-thirds of it! Great weather until the end, overcast and not too hot. Perfect race weather! Even the rain wasn't bad, just nice and cool.

In this situation, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat! I was finally able to handle more than pretzel sticks. Had some food, limped around on my bad knees and relaxed. I hardly consumed any calories for more than 6.5 hours and still had energy and wasn't dying of hunger, so maybe I can learn from this and adjust my nutrition; maybe I don't need to eat as much during a race or long training days. Something to think about.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps! Seriously, I had no idea cramps were that painful.

Event comments:

The post-race activities are pretty lacking, as in, there aren't any besides grabbing some decent food and the awards ceremony. It would be nice to have a little bit of entertainment for family members who come for a long day of waiting, maybe a bounce house or something simple and cheap like that for kids. They did have space for kids to draw with chalk on the ground but that's all I saw. Something to make it more festive and family friendly. Having a young child, I tend to look for races that offer a little more for the family (at least for bigger races).

I would also like to see it be a full 70.3. But this is a really great race and it will be a popular one. I will do it again, although not next year, as I'd like to do another full half-iron distance. But I will be back again, hopefully with no cramps! I need redemption :-)

Last updated: 2014-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 0/532
Performance: Good
Suit: full/blue seventy
Course: rectangle. you can't see anything in the dark water. Buoys were easy to spot and it wasn't hard to swim straight. Not much current. Temp drops about 5 degrees the last maybe 40 yards under the bridge but doesn't last long.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:49
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:39:32 | 52 miles | 14.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/29
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course, definitely some hills, also some short flat stretches. Wish it was a full 56 miles. It was hilly but not quite as hilly as a lot of the routes I ride in the Asheville area, so a good course for me. There's a few hills around mile 40 that were a grind, especially that late in the race. The first half of the course is definitely faster and less hilly. More rollers on the first half and some climbs on the second.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:14:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/29
Performance: Average
Course: 2-loop out-and-back. Up a hill, down a hill, around a field, back up, back down. It's not steep by any means, but I put it at more of a steady 2%-3% grade, not 1-2 percent. Started raining at about mile 4 or 5, a very light rain. Started raining hard by mile 8. Paved road in good condition, mostly shaded except for the field. Good crowd support around the transition area. A lot of spectators come late to see the run and finish, so my family also got stuck in traffic and didn't see me until I was on my way up the second time. But it was so great to see them!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-18 6:51 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: Lake Logan Half
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Logan Half

Started by bdmcgrane
Views: 1160 Posts: 1

2014-08-08 3:30 PM bdmcgrane

Lake Logan Half

Started by jmkizer
Views: 2470 Posts: 9

2014-08-07 1:23 PM amd723

Lake Logan Half

Started by alk926
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2014-08-04 10:36 AM alk926

Lake Logan Triathlon

Started by foots
Views: 1753 Posts: 6

2007-08-13 11:58 AM tzmitch

Lake Logan

Started by dabrown
Views: 1653 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 6:32 AM dabrown
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.