General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rochester Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, New York
United States
Rochester Area Triathletes
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 45s
Overall Rank = 60/82
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race, I was toying with the idea of not racing. I had broken my toe in a trail race the Wednesday before the race and wasn't feeling 100% that night. My diet had been way off and I hadn't moved since the accident. I decided I would make it a Game Time decision and fell asleep far too late. I woke up a bit late, but had everything packed and ready to go so I wasn't too worried. Woke up, had some juice and some break, and my stomach wasn't really cooperating. I felt wide awake though so I proceeded to throw my stuff in the car...flat tire! Something always goes wrong and since I'm newer to the sport I haven't nailed down a routine.
Event warmup:

Most of my warm up was ousted due to the flat tire. Thankfully a local bike shop had a tent there and some awesome dude was able to fit in time to replace my tire! I threw my bike on the rack, set my stuff down and jog around to get my heart rate up. There was a mandatory pre-race meeting so I didn't make it into the water until about 3 minutes to start. I was calmer than normal despite all the craziness.
Swim
  • 37m 45s
  • 1600 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was by far the worst I've had in 2 years of the sport. The longest length of the swim was against white capping waves. The water was 68 so I felt okay but couldn't get a solid stroke down in time to really take off. This was my first experience with really rough waves so I'm not totally down about my time. I also was unable to propel kick due to the broken toe, and was pulling for the entire swim.
What would you do differently?:

Try and kick more, maybe grab neoprene socks if I have a foot injury in the future. I also need to get more OWS's in so I have more experience with rougher waters.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

My toe slowed me down getting into my bike shoes. I went sockless so the trickiest part was navigating my foot in without bumping my toe. I had everything set up perfectly so this was actually a decent time for me.

I am usually a slow poke in transition and really need to work on speeding things up. I am a worry wart so I need to work more on "things I need vs things I don't need" and "Do I have everything ready? Let's go"
Bike
  • 1h 30m 9s
  • 26.75 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Coming out the water I could not find my stride. I was a bit distraught from the water and felt like I was really overworking the pedaling. After the first loop I got into a good cadence and mindset. Loops generally mess with my head but I knew what to expect and kept with a hard pedaling group. My food intake was ok, except I spilled Gu everywhere. I was well off my target time, but with every movement hurting my foot, I think I did ok.

Get on my bike way more. I tend to have a much better race in all disciplines when I bike 2-3 times a week. I also need to work on my mood during looped courses.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I did much better than usual in this transition compared to past ones. I got out of my shoes for the first time and pedaled on top with about 100m to go, hopped off and ran right to my rack spot. I threw my bike on the rack, hopped into my already wide open shoes, and ran off as soon as possible.

Review where I place my equipment and go over the steps to get out quicker.
Run
  • 1h 03m 47s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 23s  min/km
Comments:

The run was very calm and quiet with exception of major foot pain. Right before my injury I had made a running breakthrough and really started dropping seconds off of my pace, however with the injury it was really hard to accept that I needed to slow down. I came out of transition hard with a sub 7 minute pace. For the first mile and half I was kept a solid pace up until the first major hill. I experienced heel pain (which I credit to making up for loss of use in right foot at trail race) and had to slow my pace way down. I hit the top and was able to take off until hitting a downhill. The pain was horrendous and I had to side step down a roadway hill...worst feeling ever seeing as I was able to dominate trail hills in no time at all...after the second turnaround I made a friend dealing with a calf injury. We chatted and kept a solid pace until he dropped off. I finished the run on a good pace alone, which I have gotten better at, crossed the finish line and broke down.

Not run on a broken toe. I ignored the advice, please take care when running on an injury.
Post race
Warm down:

I received my souvenir glass, and immediately grabbed food water, and just stood against a tree. After some time, I watched some awards, grabbed my bike and headed out. I would have stayed longer since they had some great post race stuff going on, but I was ready to get home, crush a nap, and have some beer. PS the volunteers at this race ROCK. I am always thankful for them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Broken toe, not enough training during/after Vegas trip.

Last updated: 2014-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:45 | 1600 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/82
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: 2 loops CounterClockwise, Against whitecaps north east, turn to swim west along shoreline, turn toward shoreline south east
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:30:09 | 26.75 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 4 loops hybrid closed course and open road. Very hilly with a flat mid section. Park roads were steep and very bumpy. Straightaways and village roads were in great shape.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:47 | 10 kms | 06m 23s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with 2 dead end turn-arounds. Flat for the first and last 1.5 miles. Very hilly for the mid section of the race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-25 3:32 PM

User image

Rochester, New York
Subject: Rochester Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rochester Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rochester Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by lextek
Views: 856 Posts: 1

2014-08-24 5:06 PM lextek

Started by lextek
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2013-08-25 6:11 AM lextek

Started by JMoney
Views: 1041 Posts: 1

2012-09-09 10:56 AM JMoney

Started by lextek
Views: 941 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 8:08 PM lextek

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2167 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.