Set Up Events
80+F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 55s
Overall Rank = 26/362
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

EH picked me up at 4:30AM and we arrived about 6:20. I tapered slightly for the race. I did an easy 45 min ride on Thur and took Fri off.
Event warmup:

About a half mile easy run with some pick-ups.
Swim
  • 27m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went basically according to what I expected. The water was 89 degrees! It didn't seem that warm but the latter half of the swim I think it affected me. Still, I swam ok but not great. Sighting was very difficult but I managed to keep a decent line. At least 3-4 people (led by a red cap from the Open category) cut the final turn buoy, presumably because they didn't see it, and went straight for the next sighting buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to train more. 2X per week isn't going to improve my swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Pretty fast, even with putting on my socks and a mediocre rack position. Had the shoes on the bike. Had a little trouble getting them tight once I was riding.

Still need to practice mounting with the shoes on the bike. It was better but still a little sloppy.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 43s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 22.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good. There was wind but it never seemed to be a full-on headwind, more crosswind. The other racers complained quite a bit about it afterward though so maybe it was stiffer than I had noticed. I was moving really well, 23-24MPH for the first 10 miles or so, but there was a tailwind. My HR was pretty high so I tried to back off a little and keep it under 170. Once we turned right at mile 10 we did have more wind. I was pleased with the ride. It might have been a little too hard but generally I think I got the effort about right. I drank one bottle of Nuun on the bike and ate two gels.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

The only hiccup was that for some reason I was thinking the bike distance was shorter than it was so I took my feet out of the shoes WAY too early. I pedaled on top of the shoes for probably 1-2 miles.

Know how long the course is dufus!
Run
  • 48m 21s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was planning on around 7 mins / mile (my pace was 7:04 last year)... silly me. My watch hovered between 6:55 and 7:20 for the first couple of miles. From there it went downhill. Toward the beginning of mile 3 I was really slowing down. I got progressively slower throughout the run, getting up to 8:30s by the time I finished. When I got to the turnaround at mile 3 I was happy to see that there was no one behind me for about a half mile. I was pretty sure I had the lead in my AG. I hoped that if I could just keep running I wouldn’t get caught. My heart rate monitor wasn’t giving readings on a lot of the bike and much of the run. When it finally started reading late in the race, my HR was 181 for mile 5 and 186 for mile 6. That’s as high as it’s ever been. I kept watch behind me and when no one appeared by the beginning of mile 6 I felt relieved. I slogged to the finish line feeling awful.

Maybe be more realistic about how the weather would affect my run and dial back the bike a bit? But I'm not sure that would have made much of a difference on the run anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Involved lots of ice water towels and pouring water over my head.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to get back to track training to improve my high end run speed. I also need to think about how to handle the heat better next time.

Event comments:

Great race (aside from the heat)

Last updated: 2014-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 0/362
Performance: Average
Suit: Castelli two piece tri kit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:43 | 27.96 miles | 22.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/32
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:21 | 06.2 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Performance: Below average
Course: HOT AND HUMID! It was probably 83 or so on the run but literally 99% humidity and complete sun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-08 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: White Lake International
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake International Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inside Out Sports White Lake International 2010

Started by titeloops
Views: 1499 Posts: 3

2010-09-13 7:22 AM BamaDC

White Lake International

Started by maria40nc
Views: 1946 Posts: 9

2010-09-12 12:20 PM hrliles

Inside Out Sports White Lake International 2010

Started by yeszir1
Views: 1752 Posts: 4

2010-09-12 9:11 PM keyone

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by FeManAZ
Views: 1581 Posts: 1

2009-09-18 12:52 PM FeManAZ

Inside Out Sports White Lake International featuring Club Wars 2009

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1544 Posts: 1

2009-09-13 10:26 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : September 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.