Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Victoria 70.3 or Oliver Half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Subject: Victoria 70.3 or Oliver Half?
Looking for input as to which race is traditionally more fun, more organized, etc. Any feedback would be helpful.

2014-09-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: #5048730

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
Subject: RE: Victoria 70.3 or Oliver Half?
I would go for Victoria. Oliver was the best but has really gone down hill. I won't do Oliver again. You could always for for Lake Stevens 70.3. No ferry ride
2014-09-10 3:24 PM
in reply to: mpdiotte

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Thanks for the response. I'm looking for an early season race so I'll probably do Victoria, but Lake Stevens my be an option for summer. I was a little set on the Challenge Half for August, but will have another option to consider now too.

Thanks.
2014-09-10 6:22 PM
in reply to: wide awake

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
How about Calgary? I think there is / was an event called Chinook in June... No ferry
2014-09-11 4:31 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coldstream ,BC
Haha.. you guys and your Ferries...

I don't mind the Ferry, actually, the kids love it. I did Chinook a few years ago. Great race. DNF'd, but great race none the less.

Any idea what the water temp is like for the Victoria race?
2014-09-16 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I did the Oly in Victoria and Calgary half this year plus Lake Stevens last year and they were each a lot of fun. 

Elk lake was really cold this year.  I made the mistake of getting in the water too soon and my teeth were chattering by the time we started.  I used to live in Central Saanich so I was looking forward to the swim but after the swim I think my wetsuit smelled worse than after swimming in Tuc el Nuit Lake (Oliver).  The Calgary swim in a man made lake was pretty good.

I haven't done the Oliver half but I live in Penticton and love training on the Oliver routes.  Lake Stevens last year  was great fun but some tough hill climbing in the last 20 miles of the bike.  The Lake Sevens swim was great and sighting was easy.  I also train on the Challenge half route as well and I know the people that rode in Challenge this year had a great time.

For myself I'm planning to do the Vancouver half & Challenge half or full next year.  I don't think you can go wrong which ever way you choose to go.  All of these are pretty decent races.

I can't attest to Oliver getting run down but I just finished Cultus Lake on Sunday and it had some troubles but there were also some positive changes which I hope show that Joe has the worst behind him and he'll be getting things back to normal (atleast I'm willing to do a few more of his events before giving up on them).

At Challenge this year I was volunteering as a catcher at the finish line and Sister Madonna was there beside us handing out Finisher medals up to the last athlete.  It was fun to see people's faces light up when they realized who was giving them their medals. 

Let us know what you decide.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-09-16 10:19 PM

2014-09-17 1:45 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
George,

I had a look at the Subaru Series page, and it looks like it has changed hands to Ironman (tm)... On the Ironman site, the Vancouver 5150 (Olympic) event is listed, as well as a sprint, but no half distance event

Do you know if the reduced price for Challenge is time-limited, or first come, first served only. Or, is it the price right up to the event?

kelly
2014-09-17 11:08 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

WTC was just taking over the Subaru series when We did the Victoria race so there was virtually no expo at the race.  I looked at the Vancouver site and so far it looks as though you are right about the Vancouver race.  I'm disappointed.  I'll have to reconsider my plans for next year (not that I need to make any decisions for a while).

At Challenge last month I talked briefly with Kevin Cutjar and he wasn't sure how long he'd leave the special rates on for.  At the time he was thinking the 1st 200/250 or so in each race but he also said if it was popular he might let it go on longer.  He told me I'd be able to sign up for the half but if I wanted to upgrade he'd let me move up for the difference at the special rate later.  Registrations for next year were fairly brisk (not like for Ironman in years past but respectable) especially for the half distance.

A fellow I swim with has already signed up for the half because he can postpone his race to 2016 if he has an injury or he can back out (up to a point) and only lose $75 so he figures its a reasonable risk.  I'm thinking seriously of signing up for the full course for next year but I am quite nervous of the leap.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Victoria 70.3 or Oliver Half? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saunders Subaru Victoria 70.3

Started by wenceslasz
Views: 1966 Posts: 3

2014-10-02 10:37 AM wenceslasz

Oliver Half Ironman... Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Puddle Duck
Views: 10294 Posts: 77

2012-04-10 11:08 AM donnieb

Oliver Half Iron Pages: 1 2

Started by Kelownagirl
Views: 3770 Posts: 41

2010-06-12 9:17 AM Kelownagirl

Oliver Half BT Get Together Pages: 1 2

Started by VanCityJ
Views: 2010 Posts: 31

2008-06-03 1:34 PM kbruceh

Oliver Half Coverage on Youtube

Started by ultramike
Views: 868 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 1:26 PM ultramike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.