General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-14 8:14 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
Training is peaking and its now time to get the packing lists together, the final bike tune up, the nutrition plan set, and of course lodging. I have ran the HIM a few times and the IM last year. So lets all share are thoughts (up to the PG13 ones at least) and take some time to share our thoughts

2014-09-16 6:41 PM
in reply to: JoeK

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
I've got two sprints before the IM - Wilmington YMCA and the NC State Triathlon Championship. Last year I completed the HIM and took 2nd place in the PC Category. I'm hoping to do as well, or better this year in the IM. Only time will tell, but regardless, it's going to be a blast!! Really looking forward to it!!
2014-09-16 8:12 PM
in reply to: JMMauldwin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by JMMauldwin

I've got two sprints before the IM - Wilmington YMCA and the NC State Triathlon Championship. Last year I completed the HIM and took 2nd place in the PC Category. I'm hoping to do as well, or better this year in the IM. Only time will tell, but regardless, it's going to be a blast!! Really looking forward to it!!

Awesome! Good luck. See you there.
2014-09-16 9:34 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Likewise! Do you have a hotel yet? I'll likely go down on Thursday again so that I can relax and scope everything out. I've got reservations at Best Western Plus University Inn on Market Street, which is about three miles or so T1.
2014-09-18 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by JMMauldwin

Likewise! Do you have a hotel yet? I'll likely go down on Thursday again so that I can relax and scope everything out. I've got reservations at Best Western Plus University Inn on Market Street, which is about three miles or so T1.

Staying at Holiday Inn, not getting in until Friday.
2014-09-18 7:47 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast
If I am reading the tide chart correctly we will be coming in on strong tide which beats last year which was an ebb tide at the start and about 45F on the beach waiting for the start...

2014-09-23 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
That will be great! Easily set a PR last year and I heard the tide was "not", although I'd have to differ due to swimming the 1.2mi in 43m. My shoulder is one of the reasons I am in the PC Cat and while I am absolutely awesome for the first 50m or so, it's all breast stroke after that.... Just a bit faster than kids wearing floaties! The swim will never be the same, but that's what 27 years of service will do to you. It's all good though.

Hope the temps are a little warmer this year. I'm bringing a large trash bag for the ride this year. Last year I only had a small Walmart bag...
2014-09-28 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by JMMauldwin I've got two sprints before the IM - Wilmington YMCA and the NC State Triathlon Championship. Last year I completed the HIM and took 2nd place in the PC Category. I'm hoping to do as well, or better this year in the IM. Only time will tell, but regardless, it's going to be a blast!! Really looking forward to it!!

I'm looking forward to spectating this year!  I'll try to get better photos this time!

2014-09-29 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by JMMauldwin  Hope the temps are a little warmer this year. I'm bringing a large trash bag for the ride this year. Last year I only had a small Walmart bag...

I managed with just arm warmers last year.  As long as I maintained a decent effort, that was all I needed to stay "warm enough".  I pushed them down to my wrists on the run while the sun was out, then pulled them back up when the sun went down.

This year, I plan to skip those as well.  Just the normal race kit... the only thing I'm debating is whether or not to wear socks on the run.

I will, however, be hitting some bargain store and buying some super cheap, disposable sweat pants and a hoodie to keep warm before swim start!!   That part was brutal last year.

Just finished my overload weeks and am beginning the lead-in to taper.  Bought tickets to the Sunday athlete brunch yesterday.  Beginning to work out final travel details, etc.... starting to get excited for this!

2014-10-07 9:22 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast
Well just got done watching the mandatory video this year. Remember to bring your certificate to check in.....One more long ride. Almost there.
2014-10-13 6:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Just a little over a week to go!!

Edited by JMMauldwin 2014-10-13 6:35 PM

2014-10-13 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Thank you Ma'am! Shouldn't be hard, I'll be the s l o w one..... :)

Originally posted by Maria527

I'm looking forward to spectating this year!  I'll try to get better photos this time!

Edited by JMMauldwin 2014-10-13 6:36 PM
2014-10-15 2:08 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Last real workouts are this Saturday - 45 min swim, 3 hour bike, 1 hour run.  Ready to get this party started!

2014-10-16 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Early weather forecasts on AccuWeather.com are looking really good.

Overnight low temp the night before is only 50F, with an average morning temp of 65-66F, afternon high of 70F.  Clear skies and plenty of sun all day long.

Light winds at 5-6mph (gusts to 14mph) from the northwest, so we will have light headwinds on the way out on the bike, but decent tailwinds on the way back in.

No indications that the wind will flip around like they did last year (where we had headwinds on the way out and the way back).

It's looking to be an absolutely pristine, beautiful race day!

Edited by cgregg 2014-10-16 1:34 PM
2014-10-18 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Bib numbers are posted. I am 221 this year. I've already tagged the bike and put it on my helmet. I don't use the numbers they provide us. I was a little worried about that during my season this year but all of the USAT folks I spoke with said it wasn't an issue and they'll be at B2B this year pulling overwatch. I'm good!!!
2014-10-18 9:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-10-20 10:02 PM
in reply to: eppie

Regular
Crystal Coast
Ribbons are very useful on the T2 bags.....no matter how much marking I do on my bag it always gets buried in the rack by the other bags. Also useful on the T1 bags to pick up on the way to the tent.....bright yellow is taken
2014-10-20 10:08 PM

Regular
Crystal Coast
BTW...for those of you like me that enjoy the back of the pack, you might want to tuck a headlamp in your run special needs bag. Last year there were some pretty dark corners in the park where the lights did not reach. I would take it off running through the chute though...but by that time who cares you will be an Ironman....Good luck to you all and enjoy the course..... #301
2014-10-21 10:47 AM

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Nice Point... #221
Originally posted by JoeK
Ribbons are very useful on the T2 bags.....no matter how much marking I do on my bag it always gets buried in the rack by the other bags. Also useful on the T1 bags to pick up on the way to the tent.....bright yellow is taken
2014-10-21 4:55 PM

Regular
Washington, DC
I'm racing the half and can't wait! #1221. Weather looks amazing!
2014-10-21 5:45 PM

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by JoeK BTW...for those of you like me that enjoy the back of the pack, you might want to tuck a headlamp in your run special needs bag.  

This is a great idea, really.   There are some spots that were really dark, or the eyes were adjusting from having light to not having any as you got away from one of the light poles, where I just had to trust that my footing was going to be Ok.  A headlamp, or knuckle lights, would have been great.

I'm racing the Half, and I am beyond stoked for this.  Super excited!

Bib #1230. 

2014-10-22 8:13 AM

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by cgregg

Overnight low temp the night before is only 50F, with an average morning temp of 65-66F, afternon high of 70F.  Clear skies and plenty of sun all day long.

Light winds at 5-6mph (gusts to 14mph) from the northwest, so we will have light headwinds on the way out on the bike, but decent tailwinds on the way back in.

No indications that the wind will flip around like they did last year (where we had headwinds on the way out and the way back).

I'm stoked to hear this, as well. It seemed as though we had a headwind all day last year! It was pretty demoralizing.

The run, however, was nice.
2014-10-22 10:27 AM
in reply to: d00d

Veteran
This will be my first half, #1876.

Yeah, weather looks beautiful!

I am debating what to wear on the bike. Whether to go for a dip in the ocean Friday to give the wetsuit another test run. Nervous, but very excited

I'm jotting down your bib numbers, so if a random lady says hi to you, don't be alarmed

Safe travels and have a great race!!
2014-10-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: melanfi

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Mel,

You're going to love it! The swim is delightful and coming from someone who views swim distances of more than 50m a survival technique, last year, with little current at all as many have been saying, I completed the 1.2 in 43m! I am PC (Physically Challenged) following many surgeries and my main hindrance is a right shoulder reconstruction that allows me to be awesome for about.... 50m, then it's all I can do to bob to the exit point.

There is word that the swim this year will be with a much better incoming tide. Of course, the analysts out there are working on what exact time period it will assist the most. I just know it did wonders for me last year and I expect it to be even better this year.

The bike course is flat with very few gentle inclines and you'll really enjoy it. It will likely be warm enough this year that no hot gear will be required on the bike! Last year I wore arm and leg warmers (See profile pic to the left) and some gloves. I was perfect the entire way. I even had a trash bag under my top to break the wind until it warmed up and then I just passed it off to one of the course volunteers.

The run was sweet, sucked, but sweet! I don't like running after doing it in the Army for 27 years! BUT, it was a very nice layout and the volunteers throughout the entire event are super!

You will have a blast and all that nervousness you feel now, will all go away as you wade on on race morning and the horn blows to start your wave. Then it's all about enjoying yourself and having fun!!

1876, I'll be looking for you! I'm 221. I placed 2d last year in the PC cat and I'm racing the full this year. ENJOY AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!
2014-10-22 11:38 AM
in reply to: d00d

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by d00d
Originally posted by cgregg

I'm stoked to hear this, as well. It seemed as though we had a headwind all day last year! It was pretty demoralizing. The run, however, was nice.

Hah, that's because we DID!

The early forecasts are still holding.... WAY better than last year's weather.  Headwinds of ~6mph from the NW on the way out, but that is a tailwind on the way back. Gusts up to only 12mph.  It should be a really nice ride!

It's going to be gorgeous conditions all around.  Warm enough to not need any extra gear, cool enough to keep from overheating.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by d00d
Views: 23737 Posts: 178

2013-11-04 4:01 PM kdlsch111

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by bdesotell
Views: 18786 Posts: 205

2012-10-27 8:57 PM louiskie

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15

Started by trinunya
Views: 42261 Posts: 370

2012-12-30 5:12 PM kenbert61

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by dandr614
Views: 9412 Posts: 39

2011-10-05 9:14 AM AtlantaBill

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by alltom1
Views: 59126 Posts: 743

2011-12-06 11:23 AM camaleon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: