United States
Vineman, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 86/197
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 22/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15am had a bowl of oatmeal, some toast with peanut butter and drank a bottle of water, green tea, and a bottle of gatorade endurance.Got to the transition area about 5:45 race was supposed to start at 6:45 so I had an hour to get ready. Got in got body marked, racked my bike made sure and made sure I had everything ready to go. Hung out with my girlfriend and sipped on a bottle of gatorade endurance.
Event warmup:

Got in the water about 5 mins before the race started and swam a bit to warm up.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 39s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really good swim for me, I started near to the back to make sure I was comfortable and I ended up passing quite a few people. Felt nice and relaxed the whole way and navigation was easy as the river was nice and narrow to swim in. The only problem was that it was quite shallow in places there were people standing up in certain points, so I just kept on swimming as it seemed the quicker thing to do.
What would you do differently?:

I would push harder on the swim, I think I could have done this quicker as I felt really good coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

Pretty good Transition, I guess they could always be faster, ut I wanted to make sure I had everything, we also had to bag up our swim stuff as it was 2 seperate transition areas.

Remember sunscreen!!!
Bike
  • 6h 55m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

This course killed me... plain and simple. I don't know why or how, but it destroyed me. I started out with the plan that I would take the first loop relatively easy and pick up the pace after the halfway point. The first lap was quite good actually, I was through the halfway point and special needs in 3:05ish. I was thinking this is great, and then I just died. My legs and back gave out on me and the whole last lap was a struggle. I couldn't push harder on the bike then I was but I was still only cruising at around 25kmph which is well below my average in training of 28.5ish. Any little hill that I hit was like riding the alps. And then the mental aspect came into play, I started to get really negative which drained me even more. I did not pass one person on the bike, and was getting passed left and right. I thought that if I quit at least I had tried, and that was better than nothing, and then it was weird, after focusing on such negative things for so long I hit the hardest hill on the course and told myself to bust my but up the hill and see how I felt after. I smoked the hill, and started to feel better about myself and after that it was only about 10 miles into transition... I couldn't get off the bike soon enough.

More training. This cannot be emphasised enough. Also my nutrtion was not as I had planned due to the fact that they didn't serve gels on the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

Took some time to regroup and make sure I had everything I needed. I took more time than I wanted to but it was worth it at that point. All I wanted to do was finish and my goal time of 13 hours was still realistic at this point.

Maybe speed up more, but I think I needed the time I took mentally.
Run
  • 4h 32m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried about the run before the event, but it turns out that I really enjoyed it. My plan was to walk the aid stations and the big hills and run the rest. This as it turns out was a great idea. At first I was feeling pretty crappy, so I started experimenting at the aid stations with fruit cookies and pretzels all to no effect. Finally I took a gel( I had been holding off doing this as I was starting to get sick of them) and it was like instant revitilization!!! I felt great!!! I took off and picked up my pace and started passing a good bunch of the people who smoked me on the bike. This motivated me even more, and then the best thing happened, as I finished the 2nd lap of 3, I saw my girlfriend and she was yelling and screaming for me to keep going, that really motivated me. My third lap flew by, I was making sure to thank all the voluteers at the aid stations and there were a couple of super energetic ladies with a cow bell that were awesome so I thanked them for the support and then all of a sudden I was back at the finish. I got pumped knowing that this was it and the announcer yelled out my name as I crossed the line, what a great moment in my life!!! I finished an ironman distance race!!!

Not much on the run, it went better than I had expected, especially after feeling the way that I did on the bike!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line and my girlfriend met me, gave her a big hug, and then grabbed a bottle of water and my hoodie from my girlfriend and sat down to contemplate the day...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training over the last month and a half, I was sick a lot and not training to my full potential. I think if I had not slacked on the training, I could have broken 12 hours, but that may just be me dreaming, as all in all I am very satisfied despite the poor bike leg.

Event comments:

The volunteers made this race. They were absolutely fantastic. not very many things to do after the race, but at that point I didn't really care. Crowds were very good as well.

Last updated: 2006-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:39 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 55/197
Performance: Good
Suit: ironman stealth
Course: 2 lap swim course in the russian river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:55:03 | 112 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Overall: 144/197
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course, slightly rolling hills with a couple of larger hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:32:20 | 26.2 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 66/197
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly!!! There were some tough hills, and oh yeah, it was stinking hot!!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 1:47 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Vineman Triathlon

2006-08-21 7:26 PM
in reply to: #517088

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Vineman Triathlon

Congratulations on beating your goal! Excellent time, especially for your first IM, on a hot day. I wish I had that kind of speed in the water over that distance.

You are an Ironman! Pretty cool feeling, eh?

2006-08-21 10:58 PM

User image

Congratulations, Mike!! 

You not only did your first ironman distance race, but you finished with a fantastic, outstanding, incredible time!  I can only imagine how you felt when you crossed that finish line. 

Again, congratulations on a race well done.

2006-08-22 12:19 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-23 3:26 PM

Master
Chilliwack, BC

HOLY CRAP!

Thats awesome.

I just realized you did the full.

Great job. That jel must have been a doosy! What one was it. I think I may need it!!!

Dan

2006-08-23 8:05 PM

Expert
Denver
It was cliff brand, I think Raspberry? It was actually pretty good!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed