MultiRace
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 01m 36s
Overall Rank = 296/337
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. Had a cinnamon raisin bagel with pbj, a banana and a cup of coffee. Had to be at the parking area at 5:20. Laid out the transition area and talked to a few peeps. Drank plain water, but not too much, probably 16-20 ounces. Had a fruit smoothie honey stinger gel at 7:10 prior to my wave start at 7:30.
Event warmup:

Walked around quite a bit. Swung arms a little.
Swim
  • 55m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I actually got to draft off of several people and at several different times. My navigation was a little off. Need to sight more frequently. Swam with DeSoto coolers on and didn't use enough body glide. Bad chafing. Towards the middle of my second lap, it felt like a lot of splashing. I finally figured out it was raining, 2 1/2 hours earlier than predicted and nothing in transition was covered! Even though I wasn't as fast as I thought I would be, this was a pretty good swim for me. I managed to keep swimming while sighting as opposed to the past where I would stop swimming to sight. My plan was to swim 2:20/100. Just a little off.
What would you do differently?:

Use more body glide or not wear the coolers in the water with a sleeveless wetsuit. Cover my stuff in transition. Sight more often. Spend more time practicing in open water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

There were wet suit strippers and I knew exactly what to do, on my back and let them pull it off. They were a blessing. This was a lightning fast transition for me. Everything was wet. I had originally planned to wear socks on the bike, but changed my mind. it was still raining in T1. I stupidly didn't bring the cycling cap that I had bought to keep the rain off my glasses and face. I also didn't wear the rain jacket I had borrowed, because it was relatively warm.

Cover my stuff in transition when there's even a slight chance of rain.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I wore only tri clothes and helmet and shoes. It was too rainy and foggy to wear my cycling glasses, so I couldn't see my Garmin, so I didn't know for sure what my power numbers were. I was hesitant to go fast through all the standing water on the roadways. I took my turns very carefully. I had planned my nutrition with a reserve bike/run bag. I opted to mix it all for the bike and dump whatever was left in my run bottle to start the run. My plan was for 17.8 mph and I hit 17.1. Given the downpours and standing water and not being able to read the Garmin, I think this was a pretty good ride. I should have been just a little more aggressive. I had half a bottle left to start the run.

Not be quite as cautious in the rain. Wear my cycling cap and see if I could wear the cycling glasses with it. Wear a rain jacket so the raindrops wouldn't hurt.
Transition 2
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

This was a long transition from the mount line and I was at the far end of transition. For the distance I had to run with the bike, I am pleased with this time. It was still raining and everything was still very wet. I opted to start out without socks, but I did take them with me. Poured the half bottle of nutrition into the run bottle to start and filled the rest up with water going out of transition.

Cover everything in transition.
Run
  • 2h 41m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Worst run course ever. While I realize you can't control the weather, several times I ran through standing water that was at least 6-8 inches deep. The problem was I never knew what was under it. It really felt like an Xterra event, which I said I'd never do. I didn't have it on this run, usually my strong suit. I started out building up to my planned race pace, but I never could get there. It wasn't unusually warm, but it was very humid. I kept pouring water on my coolers at every aid station. I couldn't believe it was only mile 4. I felt like I had been running for 90 minutes. I believe the weather really took a mental toll on me, and I paid for it on the run. I lost track of my nutrition on the run, and started eating off the course, 1/2 banana, a cookie. Just not a good run for me at all.

Try to maintain my mental faculties, no matter what. Pay more attention to nutrition on the run. Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in the rain. Drank Ultragen recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure, other than mental.

Event comments:

I would not recommend this race. I think it is overpriced compared to other options. Although the swag is very nice, there doesn't need to be so much of it and the price should be reduced. Aside from the weather, which could happen anywhere, I would not advertise one of the race highlights as "running through the zoo with the animals". I think that is totally misrepresenting the run course. Mile signs on both the bike and run course were totally inaccurate and I would rather they not even be put up if they are wrong. And, they were out of chicken when I went to get something to eat! Everyone doesn't finish in 5 hours, so save some food for the rest of us. On the other hand, the volunteers were very dedicated and very nice to have them cheering. Hector rode by me and told me to be safe. The police were mostly helpful with the traffic, although there were a few places they were confusing. The teddy bears for awards were a cute idea.

Last updated: 2014-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:26 | 2112 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 294/337
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Sleeves
Course: Two lap rectangle in a very beautiful crystal clear lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:16:53 | 56 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Overall: 292/337
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rectangular through vineyard country and past airports with a two-loop section in the middle. Not very well marked. Several times there were signs indicating which mile we were at that were totally off (like mile 30 when it was really 16).
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:41:57 | 13.1 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 269/337
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops of the worst run course ever. Through the grass, very rough roads with potholes, rocky trails, parking lots, and a little bit of smooth pavement. This was billed as through the Miami Zoo with the animals. I personally didn't see any animals, maybe once. Others I talked to said the same thing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2014-11-24 9:32 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon

2014-11-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: #5069758

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon
It takes guts to finish a long event like this in pouring rain. Congratulations Jackie, your determination is inspiring!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Miami Man Half Iron Triathlon

Started by umueller
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2012-11-15 7:55 AM umueller

Started by sp1ke
Views: 1402 Posts: 1

2012-11-12 3:03 PM sp1ke

Started by pbwillis
Views: 1196 Posts: 3

2012-11-12 12:30 PM breger1

Started by Turnin2
Views: 1354 Posts: 1

2011-11-14 2:13 PM Turnin2

Started by lcogginsjr
Views: 1158 Posts: 1

2011-11-14 5:35 AM lcogginsjr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.