MetroPCS Dallas Marathon
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 40s
Overall Rank = 281/8429
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 29/471
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15am, had a banana for breakfast and took a shower. Left the house at 6:00am and was at the parking garage at the office at 6:32am. Met people from work for pictures and another breakfast (another banana) and walked 3 blocks to the start corral (Corral A). Was in corral by 7:35am with 10 minutes to spare.

Didn't think I was going to run this race so was pretty relaxed. At this point, I just needed to finish and collect the 2 medals (since they were offering the medals from last year's cancelled race). Didn't feel need to warm-up.
Event warmup:

Just ran a few blocks to the start corral. Took a gel with about 5 minutes before the start.
Run
  • 1h 39m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off very conservatively since I wasn't sure if my knee was going to hold together. Given that I couldn't run 2 miles pain-free just the Wednesday before, I didn't have high hopes for this race. Did the first 5K a bit slow to test out the knee but seem to be good. Had to take a porta-john break which probably cost about 30 sec early in the race. After I got through 9 miles, I figured that I was ok and if it hurt, then I can easily walk back so started speeding up. Went very hard the last 2 miles as I was trying to catch a co-worker that I saw in the distance. Made the pass with just under a mile to go and finished the last mile a little under 7:00 pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not be injured prior! However, I will be focusing on shorter distances this coming year but I think I benefited from the marathon training I did earlier this year and still had the base. I just didn't have enough speed this year so 5K and 10K for me next year and we'll see if I can get speed back.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Just waited for people to finish then had my recovery shake. Went home and did my Normatec along with a 30 min nap before taking advantage of the BOGO offer at Chipotle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of confidence due to the knee. I think a 1:37 was probably there today if I had just started at a faster pace.

Event comments:

Was surprised that there wasn't any indoor facilities post race. It was drizzling and strong rain predicted so you would think there would be covered space for participants after the race.

Last updated: 2014-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:40 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/471
Overall: 281/8429
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/650776109
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-12-14 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: MetroPCS Dallas Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MetroPCS Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MetroPCS Dallas Half Marathon

Started by Farms
Views: 951 Posts: 1

2012-12-12 12:33 PM Farms

Started by kickitinok
Views: 1025 Posts: 1

2012-12-11 12:39 AM kickitinok

Started by dodgersmom
Views: 1225 Posts: 1

2012-12-10 1:20 PM dodgersmom

Started by m2tx
Views: 1458 Posts: 3

2012-12-12 12:52 PM bobddsmd

Started by KSH
Views: 1169 Posts: 3

2012-12-09 9:40 PM blueyedbikergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.