DRC Sports
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 15s
Overall Rank = 4/29
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Waycross the night before and stayed overnight. Otherwise it's ~2 hours to get there. Got up at 5:00, got dressed, checked gear, packed truck & went to race site. Ate a Harvest bar. At race site we got our packets & racked bikes. No special spots today based on race number, so I got to rack my bike where I wanted.
Event warmup:

Light jogging to warm up legs before relinquishing running shoes to transition area. AFter I was out of transition for a while I realized I forgot to put my glasses in transition so I had to run before transition closed. Cant very well swim w/ glasses on!! Then did a swim warmup.
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 475 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was SOOO psyched! I started out front and center and had the feeling that it would be okay. Sure enough, having no ocean waves or running start to contend with, I stayed out front the whole time! Only 1 woman passed me and everyone else was way behind me. It's the first time in my life that I had a clear path at both buoys. It was COOL!
What would you do differently?:

Taken it a lot easier in the second half of the swim. I could feel I was wearing myself out but I was too excited to be up front for the first time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Had a good transition. The run from the swim exit to the transition area was a very long one over grassy areas w/ tree roots thrown in. I had to keep my flipflops at the swim exit and jog w/ them because I know I couldn't do it barefoot.

I would've brought my water shoes to run to transition in. They're easier to run in than the flipflops. Other than that, I'm happy.
Bike
  • 44m 48s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't understand why I did such a slow time for me. I'm sure part of it had to do w/ the too-fast swim as well as the high heat/humidity, but my HR was blowing up at 17 or 18 miles an hour so even though it wasn't a typical speed for me, I had to pay attention to that HR. I actually stopped the bike on the course to see if the brakes were rubbing (it had happened once before) but no, it was just me. No excuses!

Bike better? I guess I'd better figure out why it happened.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Very happy w/ transition. It's the best part of the tri for me anymore.
My husband Bob was racked right next to me and had already gotten onto the run. I could see he had some trouble because I saw his socks tossed in a couple of different directions. It gave me a chuckle.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

That was not bad considering how awful I did on the bike and the fact that I can't train much for running because of my feet. I wanted to walk SOOOO much but was able to jog the whole thing, thanks in part by a group of young middle-school aged cheerleaders that lined both sides of the road at one point which helped give me a boost out and back. It was a LIFESAVER! Thanks girls!!

Nothing really. I can't train much for running so I just do what I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some walking and stretching. Usually I like to jump in the ocean after a race but this one was in a nasty, warm-water lake so I didn't do it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That AWFUL bike! Also, I know I went a little too hard on the swim, but it was TOOO cool to be in the front of the whole women's field!!

Event comments:

The race being held entirely in the state park was great for shade and little to no car traffic, but I just COULDN'T deal w/ the bike portion. It was very hot and humid out. I think the temp including the heat index was in the 90's.

Last updated: 2014-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 475 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 2/29
Performance: Good
Distance was advertised as 1/4 mile, but based on my garmin it was a little longer.
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Out to almost the other side of the lake to the first buoy, then left for a short straightaway to the second buoy, then all the way back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:48 | 13 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Overall: 8/29
Performance: Below average
HR monitor not working well for most of the bike ride until I realized the chest strap had slipped during the swim. After I fixed it I could see my HR slowly blowing up!
Wind: Some
Course: Two out-and-backs. One down the east side of the park, then u-turn to the the side west of transition and then back again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:40 | 03 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 7/29
Performance: Good
Course: In the state park, first 1/4 mile or so out of transition was on grassy area, then the rest was an out-and-back along the road, ending that last 1/4 mile on the grass again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-12-15 8:28 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Heels & Wheels
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heels & Wheels Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heels and Hills 1/2 Marathon

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 2124 Posts: 9

2008-05-10 6:43 PM jcbolton

Heel & Crank Duathlon

Started by btchance
Views: 1134 Posts: 2

2006-10-09 6:38 PM rkreuser

Heel & Crank Duathlon

Started by CWaldroup
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2006-10-08 10:36 AM CWaldroup

Wheels & Heels Rush on Festa 5K

Started by tripletmom01
Views: 664 Posts: 1

2006-07-21 4:12 PM tripletmom01

Heel & Crank Duathlon

Started by apenton
Views: 715 Posts: 1

2005-10-03 9:15 AM apenton
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : November 23, 2009
comments : 0
I suffer from pain in the bottom of my left heel after my run. It doesn't hurt when I run but as the day goes on the pain worsens.

date : June 23, 2009
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.

date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?