BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2014-12-30 5:22 PM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by Toffels I'd like to join. NAME: Chris West (Toffels) STORY: I swam competitively in high school and for years before that, but after high school I just stopped. I'm 32 now, and over the past five years or so, the idea to do a triathlon has always been in the back of my mind, but I never pulled the trigger until this year. I bought a bike and actually signed up for a local sprint tri this past August, but unfortunately it was cancelled the day of because of bad weather. I'm not going to let that stop me though; there's plenty of other races this coming year. I live in the Kansas City area. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 8 years to the most wonderful woman I've ever met. .

Welcome to the group Chris!  I'm sure your swimming background will serve you well.  And its great that you have a supportive wife that is a marathoner and can relate to your enthusiasm for training.  Happy New Year!

2014-12-30 6:29 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

New user
Los Angeles County
I'm looking forward to being accepted into the group... =)

NAME: David

STORY: I'm 43 years old living in Los Angeles area. I've been doing sprint triathlons for a couple years now and wanting to really focus on building endurance, strength, and speed to do my first Olympic distance triathlon with hopes to continue into 2016 with a 70.3 and who knows from there. I really want to push myself to levels that I haven't been able to do since high school, swimming and water polo. With some success in 2014, I know that the reality is there, but requires consistency and drive; my body can recover here-n-there and I know that now.

I'm looking forward to a successful 2015 year with high hopes of it being injury free and full of goals being completed successfully =)

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with 3 children, ages 21, 19, 17. My boys, 19 and 17, have does the sprint triathlons with me. We have been competing against each other with one person beating out the other depending on course, health, and environment. They definitely helped with motivating me to get to a level that I thought wasn't possible at first; for example, I'm a horrible runner with a 35+ minute 5K run when I first started, but in 2014, I not only successfully ran the whole 5K, 2nd time ever in my life, I also ran it at 24 minutes which was only a couple minutes behind both my sons.

CURRENT TRAINING: Bicycling from work daily regardless of weather. I usually bus to work now cause of being too sweaty once I get to work. Going to start getting into the pool again and start stretching out my legs for running.

2015 Races: Nothing in the books yet, but most likely doing the same sprint triathlons that I did in 2014 along with the Herbalife triathlon in September. I already have a couple bicycle rides in the books. Tour de Cure Century ride in Long Beach, CA. Tour de Cure Metric Century ride in Rancho Santa Margarita. Big Bear Century ride. And, looking into more rides...

WEIGHTLOSS: I just need to eat healthy. I know that I'm exercising quite a bit, but still eating junk food and/or over eating. I'm at a "maintaining" weight level. Weight loss is an added benefit and not really a "goal".
2014-12-30 6:45 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Pro

Originally posted by [email protected] I'm looking forward to being accepted into the group... =) NAME: David STORY: I'm 43 years old living in Los Angeles area. I've been doing sprint triathlons for a couple years now and wanting to really focus on building endurance, strength, and speed to do my first Olympic distance triathlon with hopes to continue into 2016 with a 70.3 and who knows from there.

Holy cow another swimmer!!  I've never had a group with so much swim experience.  Maybe I'll learn to be faster via osmosis from the group....or not.   Welcome David and Happy New Year!

2014-12-30 7:55 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

New user
Originally posted by neweyes

Originally posted by Toefuzz Kat - Have you read Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald? It's a solid book on diet and nutrition for endurance athletes. Granted, it sums up what we already know (eat real food, mostly veggies, not too much), but his diet quality scoring system helped put things in perspective for me.

I'll second Racing Weight and using a log like his diet scoring system. Paleo Diet for Athletes is also good if you're interested in going in that direction (it places carbs in and around workouts, paleo at other times). I've found all of Gordo's writings extremely helpful. His diet stuff hasn't been as important to me as the four pillars and other training stuff, but it's still good. 

I have Paleo Diet for Athletes in an ebook form but found it pretty overwhelming, lots of info. I never got around to trying it out. At the time I wasn't training too much. I may pick it up again.
2014-12-30 8:13 PM

User image

New user
I didn't list all of my upcoming races, just my tris. I have a half marathon in February, a yet undetermined leg of a relay in May and a bunch of local 5 and 10k races.
We are also looking at a trip to Florida in April so I've been scouting races there. I have my eye on a triathlon there but will have to wait until our plans are a little more solid. My husband thinks I'm nuts looking for races on vacations but sometimes he joins me. We did a 10k on our honeymoon.

I guess I'll ask my first question - what should my training look like right now or where should I work to be for the start of a training program?
I am aiming for a later summer/early fall HIM so its a little early to start a formal program. As I mentioned, I recently had a baby and had a c-section so I have only been back to working out less than 3 months. I was not able to keep running towards the end of my pregnancy but did keep up swimming to almost the end.
I've been running for time at an easy pace 3 times a week, two short runs and a longer on the weekend. I'm up to just over 10k for a "long" run. My pace is getting faster but I'm still not back to my usual pace. I'm trying to figure out how long my runs should be ideally. I'm swimming 3 times a week, at least one is longer intervals, another is a master swim workout with different drills and intervals. The third depends on if I can get to master swim or just the pool. I'm also doing at least two strength training sessions at the gym per week.
I'm embarrased to admit I have not been back on the bike. I actually just got it back, I had lent it to my SIL for her first tri this summer. I do have a trainer and keep intending to set it up and do videos.

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. (I know, I know, get on the bike)
2014-12-30 8:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Originally posted by KatNWater

FAMILY STATUS: Married, my husband has Rheumatoid Arthritis so while he is wonderfully supportive, his goals about fitness and mine never line up. I have 2 boys age 11 and 9 who both started swimming competitively this year. I have Jenx, a german shorthair pointer - AKA the Psycho Devil Dog - but he is an excellent running partner, and we just got a kitten who is plotting to usurp my role as princess in the house.

I'm jealous of the excellent running partner. I got my lab partly to be a running partner, he had other ideas (I still love him like crazy). He is good for about 2.5 miles. Once we hit 3 he pretends like I am dragging him - he is not tired, he will go home and run around the yard for hours, he just does not enjoy running on lead. When I started dating my husband, my lab was just a puppy and he had a German Shepherd so he became my running partner. He absoutely loved running and would go anywhere, anytime, any pace. He's 12 and hasn't really be up for running the past couple years. Our other dog is my husband's work partner. I take him occasionally, mostly when I run at night because we are in the country and I'm a little nervous of coyotes.

Half marathons are also my favourite distance.

Edited by Kaper 2014-12-30 8:52 PM

2014-12-30 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, day 1 of the training plan is done. Just 206 to go. These first weeks are going to take a lot of restraint... nice and easy....

2014-12-31 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kaper  I guess I'll ask my first question - what should my training look like right now or where should I work to be for the start of a training program? I am aiming for a later summer/early fall HIM so its a little early to start a formal program. As I mentioned, I recently had a baby and had a c-section so I have only been back to working out less than 3 months. I was not able to keep running towards the end of my pregnancy but did keep up swimming to almost the end. I've been running for time at an easy pace 3 times a week, two short runs and a longer on the weekend. I'm up to just over 10k for a "long" run. My pace is getting faster but I'm still not back to my usual pace. I'm trying to figure out how long my runs should be ideally. I'm swimming 3 times a week, at least one is longer intervals, another is a master swim workout with different drills and intervals. The third depends on if I can get to master swim or just the pool. I'm also doing at least two strength training sessions at the gym per week. I'm embarrased to admit I have not been back on the bike. I actually just got it back, I had lent it to my SIL for her first tri this summer. I do have a trainer and keep intending to set it up and do videos. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. (I know, I know, get on the bike)

Hi Sonya.  I think your approach for the run right now sounds fine.  Keep the pace easy for now until your legs get some durability back.  Don't get hung up on pace for a few more weeks.  I don't know what the duration of your shorter runs are right now, but if you can keep them at about 30 minutes that would be sufficient.  You want to build run volume/fitness through frequency, not volume on few runs, right now.  If you can trade your long run on the 3rd run of the week for 2 shorter runs to get to 4 days of running I might suggest that, but if your schedule doesn't allow it then stick with what you're doing.  Your swim training sounds like its on track for improved swim fitness.  Having a masters program to rely on is great.  Finally, GET ON THE BIKE!!!!!     Winter is a critical time to build bike fitness so get that bike set up on the trainer ASAP.  Start out easy for 3 days/week.  Once you get some time on the bike under your belt check out the 16 week winter cycling program  HERE  (use the heart rate based version if you don't have a powermeter).   If you want a comprehensive offseason training plan to get you through the winter then I would suggest the BT training plan called the 4-7 Hour Winter Maintenance/Prep Training Plan - 20 week.  It requires upgrading your membership to at least Silver, but its a low cost option if you want a structured plan.  Note: I have no financial ties to BT so I am merely suggesting that training plan as an option for you.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Birkierunner 2014-12-31 7:52 AM
2014-12-31 8:05 AM

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by Toffels

I'd like to join.

NAME: Chris West (Toffels)

STORY: I swam competitively in high school and for years before that, but after high school I just stopped. I'm 32 now, and over the past five years or so, the idea to do a triathlon has always been in the back of my mind, but I never pulled the trigger until this year. I bought a bike and actually signed up for a local sprint tri this past August, but unfortunately it was cancelled the day of because of bad weather. I'm not going to let that stop me though; there's plenty of other races this coming year. I live in the Kansas City area.

• 2015 RACES:
    March: 68's Inside Sports Indoor Triathlon (mini-sprint)
    April: Rock n Roll Marathon in Nashville, TN (half-marathon)
    May: Kansas City Triathlon (sprint)
    August: Matt Mason Cowboy Up Memorial Triathlon (sprint)
    October: Border Wars Triathlon (half-Ironman)
    October: Kansas City Marathon (half-marathon)

Hey Chris! Another High School fish! And I am doing Country Music Half this April as well. We will have to find each other for a high five!
    2014-12-31 8:41 AM

Middle Tennessee
    First 2 days of the official HIM training plans in the book. Today is supposed to be a swim. But with a house full of boys who stayed up way to late, and the pool closing at noon, I don't think I will make it to the pool. I probably need to get on the bike anyway.... And the dog needs to go on a run before he eats us all.

Sonya - I feel your frustration with puppies with their own ideas. GSP are supposed to be swimmers. In fact I read somewhere that I wouldn't be able to keep him out of my pool. Jenx is terrified of the water, he refuses to swim with me. Silly puppy.

David - cool on the Water Polo. I played some in high school, when it meant that we could skip early morning workout if we played after afternoon practice. My city has a rec league that I am considering joining, but I am afraid of the commitment with IM training on the horizon.

Mike - Enjoy the easy!

So here is my question for the day. I started this week on the BT 20 week HIM plan for my HIM in May. I used it for my last HIM and I thought it worked well for me. I then plan to switch over to Fink's Be Iron FIt for the IM. There is an overlap though. I will miss the first 12 weeks of the Iron FIt. Do you think I am correct in assuming that a HIM plan will substitute for the base part of Be Iron FIt?
    2014-12-31 9:45 AM
    in reply to: KatNWater

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KatNWater  So here is my question for the day. I started this week on the BT 20 week HIM plan for my HIM in May. I used it for my last HIM and I thought it worked well for me. I then plan to switch over to Fink's Be Iron FIt for the IM. There is an overlap though. I will miss the first 12 weeks of the Iron FIt. Do you think I am correct in assuming that a HIM plan will substitute for the base part of Be Iron FIt?

Fink has a 10 week "base phase" so the overlap with your 20 week BT plan should not be a problem if you use the end of the BT plan to substitute for the Fink base phase.  You would then be able to transition to the "build phase" of the Fink plan.  The only thing you need to be cautious of is your training after your HIM in May.  I would highly recommend you properly recover the week after the HIM and slowly start up training again the second week after the HIM.  So, you will have to ease into the first part of the build portion of the Fink plan which may take some tweaking of the plan as far as hours go.  Hope that makes sense.

2014-12-31 10:12 AM

User image

Expert

This looks like a great group for my goals!  

NAME: Karen Wilson (momandmd)

STORY:  I did my first triathlon in 1990, a few more after having kids in the late 90s, took a break during medical school and residency, and have been pretty consistently sucking at short distance triathlons since 2004.  I did my first Oly in 2012, and my second last summer (Boulder Peak-mercifully minus Old Stage).  I also have done two half marathons, and I think my body (though perhaps not my mind) are made for longer distance.  So I have been contemplating doing the Harvest Moon 1/2 IM in September.  My challenge has always been fitting in the workouts around my schedule- I'm a physician and I lead a division in our hospital, and I have to work hard to fit in the workouts, especially for longer distance efforts.  I have read IronFit for halfs and I think Don Fink's plan for just finishing is reasonable given my schedule, so I am planning to build a base with that in mind, probably do a spring 1/2 marathon, and maybe a sprint and an Oly over the summer (I had a stretch last summer where I did a 1/2 marathon, 2 sprint tris, an Olympic, and a two day charity bike ride in the mountains over 9 weeks, and totally burnt myself out).  My other challenge is that I don't like swimming, I am slow (especially if I try to kick), and I hate to be cold and wet.  I also have a high hamstring strain that I need to fix- I'll be making an appointment with the massage therapist in January.  Oh, and I travel a lot for work.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful guy who doesn't do triathlon but is supportive, 2 sons (21 and 18).  They are both now in college so the empty nest does leave more time to train...

CURRENT TRAINING: Running 3-5 miles 2-3 times per week, biking on my trainer 45-75 minutes 2-3 times per week.  Weight lifting twice per week.  Skiing when I can!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Boulder sprint, Boulder peak, Tribella sprint, Colfax half marathon.  I was really excited to see my yearly S/B/R (well, B/R) volumes were up significantly this year, even though I basically took August off.  

2015 RACES: Tentative:  Colfax half, Tribella sprint, Oly TBN, Harvest Moon 1/2 IM

WEIGHTLOSS: I have a tendency to glucose intolerance so I've gone to a paleoish whole foods, lower carb diet.  Basically lots of vegetables, some meat, healthy fats, and occasional carbs (and I will have an occasional slice of pizza and not freak out ).  I liked Paleo for Athletes and Racing Weight!  I have leaned down about 5 pounds over the last 6 months or so, and would like to get down about 5 more by the summer.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I have a lot of experience with triathlon, but not a lot with the longer distances so I'm a newbie without being totally new!

2014-12-31 10:28 AM
    in reply to: #5075376

Karen
    Another physician in the group! I practice Internal Med in Pennsylvania . I empathize with the schedule. I find myself sneezing out for 45 mins mid day to swim sometimes or take extra clothes to office to get a run in.. My latest thought is setting up a trainer in my office so I can keep my bike there and get some mileage in over the lunch hour .. Really need to steal time here and there but in the end I usually find ways to make it work.. Welcome and look forward to following along.. Off to the pool now to swim before New Year's Eve dinner with the kids..
    2014-12-31 11:19 AM
    in reply to: jhupcom

User image

Expert

Originally posted by jhupcom Karen Another physician in the group! I practice Internal Med in Pennsylvania . I empathize with the schedule. I find myself sneezing out for 45 mins mid day to swim sometimes or take extra clothes to office to get a run in.. My latest thought is setting up a trainer in my office so I can keep my bike there and get some mileage in over the lunch hour .. Really need to steal time here and there but in the end I usually find ways to make it work.. Welcome and look forward to following along.. Off to the pool now to swim before New Year's Eve dinner with the kids..

Hi!  Great job getting the swim in .  I'm on vacation in Upstate NY at our lake house so no swims here (Seneca Lake would be mighty chilly right now!).  I'm a pediatric hospitalist in Denver CO.  We do have a gym in the hospital (pretty marginal) so I could try to sneak a midday workout in.  I get totally booked with meetings though. Have a great New Years!

2014-12-31 12:53 PM
    in reply to: Kaper

User image

Originally posted by Kaper
    My husband thinks I'm nuts looking for races on vacations but sometimes he joins me. We did a 10k on our honeymoon.

It seems these days that most of our vacations are actually planned around races.

Originally posted by KatNWater
    Hey Chris! Another High School fish! And I am doing Country Music Half this April as well. We will have to find each other for a high five!

Definitely, Kat! I'd love to meet some of you guys in person. My wife is running the half marathon in Nashville with me, and it's likely her aunt and uncle will be up from Atlanta, so the Nashville race is kind of a family reunion for us, but I'm certain there'll be time for us to meet somewhere, even if it's on race day.
    2014-12-31 1:04 PM

User image

Ok, I've got a bit of a silly question. I just finished up a ride on the trainer and I logged it in my training log. Do I post about it here too? I went through and friended everyone on this thread so everyone should be able to see my training log, but I'm not sure of the typical procedure here. Just throw it on the training log, or post about it here too?

2014-12-31 5:32 PM

User image

Jim, thanks for hosting another Mentor Group. Definitely interested in joining up again.

To refresh my background.

Name- Steve

Story- 45 year old, Southern California family man with 2 great kids, 11 and 8, awesome wife who all support this obsession. I work a bunch, so it's definitely a challenge to juggle work, family and training. Started doing the bike trainer super early and also sneak out for lunchtime swim. Have gotten comments about the chorine smell more than a couple of times. Got into triathons 3 years ago thru our work team, Disney. Was always in decent shape but no real endurance sports. First year or so was mostly sprints but then transitioned into HIMs. I have completed 4 of them over the past 1.5 years. I am making the jump up to full IM this year. Was lucky enough to get into IMAZ. So have 11 months to get into top shape. Want to enjoy the day and finish but also put up a respectable time.

Current training- Currently working on getting in good offseason base. Focusing on swim form and fitness base for bike/swim. Working with a swim coach to help with my stroke. Schedule consists of swimming 3x, running 3-4x and biking 3x. Averaging about 9-10 hours per week right now.

2015 Races- IMAZ in Nov, March-Bayshore 70.4, Oct-Silverman HIM, a couple of sprints mixed in (Malibu, Redondo Beach, Huntington Beach) and some 10ks, plus a 2.1 mile pier to pier swim in Aug.

Weight Loss- i have always been in good shape but my NY resolution is to each much better. looking to concentrate on a more whole foods diet. I read a couple articles about 80% whole food, 10% somewhat processed, and 10% cheat. That seems like a pretty good mix to me but will check out some of the books that have been discussed already. Raced at 160 lbs this year at 5'9". Currently at 163, with a goal of about 155 for the season.

Why I would be a good mentee- I have been in this group the past 2 years and can vouch for Jim. Pretty good about checking in and offering encouragement and a little info if I actually know something.
    2014-12-31 6:42 PM

User image

New user

Miami
    Hello All. Pool Work out and bike ride before work. Took both pretty easy. Don't want to start out to fast. Glad to see the group filling up and the training kicking off. Happy New Year to All.
    2014-12-31 7:47 PM

User image

New user
    Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Kaper  I guess I'll ask my first question - what should my training look like right now or where should I work to be for the start of a training program? I am aiming for a later summer/early fall HIM so its a little early to start a formal program. As I mentioned, I recently had a baby and had a c-section so I have only been back to working out less than 3 months. I was not able to keep running towards the end of my pregnancy but did keep up swimming to almost the end. I've been running for time at an easy pace 3 times a week, two short runs and a longer on the weekend. I'm up to just over 10k for a "long" run. My pace is getting faster but I'm still not back to my usual pace. I'm trying to figure out how long my runs should be ideally. I'm swimming 3 times a week, at least one is longer intervals, another is a master swim workout with different drills and intervals. The third depends on if I can get to master swim or just the pool. I'm also doing at least two strength training sessions at the gym per week. I'm embarrased to admit I have not been back on the bike. I actually just got it back, I had lent it to my SIL for her first tri this summer. I do have a trainer and keep intending to set it up and do videos. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. (I know, I know, get on the bike)

Hi Sonya.  I think your approach for the run right now sounds fine.  Keep the pace easy for now until your legs get some durability back.  Don't get hung up on pace for a few more weeks.  I don't know what the duration of your shorter runs are right now, but if you can keep them at about 30 minutes that would be sufficient.  You want to build run volume/fitness through frequency, not volume on few runs, right now.  If you can trade your long run on the 3rd run of the week for 2 shorter runs to get to 4 days of running I might suggest that, but if your schedule doesn't allow it then stick with what you're doing.  Your swim training sounds like its on track for improved swim fitness.  Having a masters program to rely on is great.  Finally, GET ON THE BIKE!!!!!     Winter is a critical time to build bike fitness so get that bike set up on the trainer ASAP.  Start out easy for 3 days/week.  Once you get some time on the bike under your belt check out the 16 week winter cycling program  HERE  (use the heart rate based version if you don't have a powermeter).   If you want a comprehensive offseason training plan to get you through the winter then I would suggest the BT training plan called the 4-7 Hour Winter Maintenance/Prep Training Plan - 20 week.  It requires upgrading your membership to at least Silver, but its a low cost option if you want a structured plan.  Note: I have no financial ties to BT so I am merely suggesting that training plan as an option for you.  Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks!
    My short runs were 30 minutes, I was starting to move up to longer ones but I can stick there for the time being. I can easily switch out the longer run for two shorter ones, running is the easiest for me to do. Should they all be 30 minutes?

Thanks for the plan suggestions, I will check them out for sure. I really would like to have hired a coach but unfortunately being on maternity leave is a huge pay cut so it is not in the cards this year.

Happy New Year everyone!
    2014-12-31 7:47 PM

User image

New user
    Originally posted by Toffels

Ok, I've got a bit of a silly question. I just finished up a ride on the trainer and I logged it in my training log. Do I post about it here too? I went through and friended everyone on this thread so everyone should be able to see my training log, but I'm not sure of the typical procedure here. Just throw it on the training log, or post about it here too?

I'm glad you asked, I was wondering too
    2014-12-31 7:51 PM

User image

Pahrump, Nevada
    I'm in, too.

I read Angelo's entry above and it could have been mine. I think this is the right place for me. Here's my story...

Name: Bill

STORY: I'm a 42 year-old fatty that needs to make some changes. About 2 years ago I was 250 so I started training. I got to where I was completing 75 mile bike rides, running 10k's, and swimming over a mile at a time. Then I got a promotion, got stuck behind a desk, and experienced a 300% increase in my stress! To top it off, I injured myself a bit and used that as an excuse to quit training "just until I healed" and to start drinking too much. That was about a year ago to the day. I am now 280. I'm not going to continue this way. I'm going to lose 80 pounds and complete an Ironman - not this month, or even in 6 months - but I will do it.

I want to join this group because I need the ear of people who are going through the same thing I'm going through. I want to help motivate others as much as they motivate me. Too often, the people closest to us are not supportive because they just don't understand the struggle, the ups and downs, etc. So we can do this together, no matter what our personal situation may be.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two 17 year-old twin step kids, a 10 year-old daughter, and a 7 year-old son.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting with basic biking, walking, then running, and will add swimming around May - or said another way, I don't really have a plan other than to get moving. I'm going to worry about the details as we go.

2015 Races: I'm not really aiming for races, but I do have some goals, the details of which I need to firm up, but you'll get the idea. I will complete the Las Vegas Tour de Summerlin 100 mile bike ride in Apri, I will run a 5k by the end of April, a 10k by the end of July, and a half marathon by the end of November.

Weight Loss Goals: As I stated before, I am going to lose 80 pounds.

What will make me a good mentee? I know how to execute. I just need to have some structure to my training and some accountability. I'm highly motivated, but that wanes - especially when you have to go for an early morning run in the rain or snow. Thus this group can help be my conscience.

2014-12-31 8:47 PM
    in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Toefuzz
    Originally posted by neweyes

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I bring a disciplined approach to training and racing. I've raced all common distances and want to take it to the next level (in the next few years if not this year). I'm a good and regular communicator. One potential hangup is that I've stopped using BT's log in favor of Strava. I love BT and used to use it, so I feel kind of guilty for that, but Strava's tech is just so much stronger. So you might have to click on an extra link to see my training. I hope that's not a dealbreaker.

Mike - do you start with Garmin and then have Strava pull everything from there? If so, BT can be set to do the same thing. I actually prefer Strava as well... if everyone else uses it we could always start a Strava group. Did you spring for Strava Pro? If so, is it worth it?

John, syncing Garmin Connect/Express is totally the way to go. It runs in the background on my machine, and when I plug in my Garmin, boom -- my workouts are up on BT and Strava automatically. Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing those nice BT graphs of increasing volume again! 

2014-12-31 8:53 PM
    in reply to: neweyes

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have a questions for all you swimmers: I want to improve my technique now in the early part of the season. I'm pretty good about always paying attention to my form and working on something: staying in the slipstream, good catch, rotation, elbows high, whatever. I swam 1:40/100 in my IM, so not terrible, but definitely have room for improvement. Are there "toys" that might help improve my technique? I use pull buoys regularly but that's about it. I got one of those tempo trainers on ebay a little while ago but haven't started using it yet. Could fins or paddles or ??? help me better my form? Any general advice or suggested reading? Thanks! And happy new year all!

2015-01-01 7:44 AM
    in reply to: #5078169

User image

Welcome to all of the new folks since I last posted! Too many to keep straight at this point t
    Me are up north (Petoskey, MI) to ski but 35 mph winds and the flu (not me fortunately) will keep us inside watching football most of the day.

I was going to run this morning but decided against it as my foot is bothering me. Sharp pain right where the heel meets the middle of my foot. I might try cutting my running back to 5x per week instead of 6. I'm still carrying 20-30 pounds extra and my body definitely isn't a fan of running (around 18-20 mpw). I had this problem after my half marathon in the fall (plantar fasciitis?). Maybe it's time to see a PT.

Happy new year to everyone!
    2015-01-01 10:48 AM
    in reply to: #5078424

Jim
    Wondering if you can reccomend a training plan on here to follow. Over past two months I started with a basic sprint tri plan with balanced 2x per week each mode and I weight train 2x per week.
    My first tri will be May 31 2015 and is a sprint. So about 5 months out.
    I find the sprint plan seems low on volume. I am not taking a aggressive approach and trying to rush training by any means but I find I am comfortable with the initial training volumes in the Olympic distance plans. Currently I can swim mile unbroken can run 60mins unbroken and bike usually an hour in spinning classes covering about 18-20miles.
    Would you reccomend training at an Olympic distance in prep for this sprint tri? And if so or if not of the free plans on here is there one you might point me to.. Or any plans outside site?
    As we cross into 2015 I figure it's good time to enter a structured plan.
    Bill
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 46414 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
    Views: 84958 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
    Views: 54539 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31