BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2015-01-01 12:25 PM
in reply to: #5078451

User image

Pahrump, Nevada
Subject: Starting my training
Today will is the start. doing 10 miles on the bike. The longest journey begins with a small first step.

2015-01-01 4:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Starting my training
Name: Kevin Bourque

Good evening, I would like to be a part of this group...I have turned to triathlon in the last year running my first olympic distance in July...it was a great experience and I am now going to start training for my first HIM...I have never been an endurance athlete, however, I have always done very well in hockey, football, baseball and bodybuilding...my main goal early in 2015 is to start building an excellent base...if there is one thing that I learned from my first tri it is that consistency is the key...I suffered an injury that left me unable to run for 7 weeks in April-May...

My goals in 2015 are to run the Duncan Hadley Olympic distance (mid-June) again to see how things have progressed from last year a Saint Andrews HIM here in New Brunswick, Canada on July 5, 2015.

I am 39 years old, married and have 4 beautiful girls from (2, 7, 9 and 14)...as you can see, my challenge is to find time to change. The BT site's HIM training appears good for time crunched athletes, however, the bike and run portion of the training does not appear to be very detailed so I am going to combine the BT training with the International distance training on Open Tri...obviously being from Canada means a lot of indoor training for the winter months...

I look forward to hearing everyone's progress!!!

Edited by kevinbourque 2015-01-01 4:44 PM
2015-01-01 6:22 PM
in reply to: kevinbourque

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by kevinbourque The BT site's HIM training appears good for time crunched athletes, however, the bike and run portion of the training does not appear to be very detailed so I am going to combine the BT training with the International distance training on Open Tri...obviously being from Canada means a lot of indoor training for the winter months... I look forward to hearing everyone's progress!!!

Hey Kevin, watch out combining plans... mixing olympic/international intensity with HIM volume would be very challenging. I wish I had a good HIM plan to recommend; I had trouble finding one last year, so I made it up as I  went, which I definitely wouldn't recommend. I think it's tough because it's raced so differently at different levels of fitness. As you say, consistency is key, and intensity is often the enemy of consistency. For most people stepping up to the distance for the first time, I'd recommend lots of zone 2 volume with a little muscular endurance work thrown into the peak phase if you want. For what it's worth, my first HIM was in an IM build, and I was doing only zone 2 work and raced much faster than I though I would (5:13 on a tough course). But Jim's actually a coach and may have more informed things to say.

2015-01-01 6:41 PM
in reply to: neweyes

User image

Thanks for the input...the Olympic race will essentially be a tune up for the HIM, however, with the limited training for the this past summer's Olympic, I would like to think that if I can stay healthy, I should be able to have a better time. You are correct, a good HIM program is hard to come by, especially when you are limited on training time. The only concern I have with the BT program is that (in my opinion) the running and cycling portions are not very detailed...the swimming is...so what my thinking is...if I use the timing of the BT program, in other words, the amount of time trained but use the International distance details for the same time frame...for example...if in week #1, BT states a 45 minute run...then I would got to International week #1 and get a 45 minute detailed workout...what are you thoughts on doing this?
2015-01-01 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Hi Gang   Just got  back home after heading up to the American Birkebeiner Ski Trail to get in a couple of days of x-c skiing.  I will review the latest posts and reply.  As far as your training logs, just log them on your own log site but not in this thread....unless you want to brag about a great workout

2015-01-01 7:43 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by kevinbourque

Name: Kevin Bourque

Good evening, I would like to be a part of this group...I have turned to triathlon in the last year running my first olympic distance in July...it was a great experience and I am now going to start training for my first HIM...I have never been an endurance athlete, however, I have always done very well in hockey, football, baseball and bodybuilding...my main goal early in 2015 is to start building an excellent base...if there is one thing that I learned from my first tri it is that consistency is the key...I suffered an injury that left me unable to run for 7 weeks in April-May...

My goals in 2015 are to run the Duncan Hadley Olympic distance (mid-June) again to see how things have progressed from last year a Saint Andrews HIM here in New Brunswick, Canada on July 5, 2015.

I am 39 years old, married and have 4 beautiful girls from (2, 7, 9 and 14)...as you can see, my challenge is to find time to change. The BT site's HIM training appears good for time crunched athletes, however, the bike and run portion of the training does not appear to be very detailed so I am going to combine the BT training with the International distance training on Open Tri...obviously being from Canada means a lot of indoor training for the winter months...

I look forward to hearing everyone's progress!!!

Saint Andrews was the HIM I signed up for last year. A large group from my tri club went and loved it (despite the hurricane the day before). I was devastated that I couldn't even go cheer them on, especially when I found out Mirinda Carfrae was racing it. A few are talking about going back this year but it is a little early on the schedule for me.

Edited by Kaper 2015-01-01 8:06 PM

2015-01-01 8:13 PM

Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by neweyes

I have a questions for all you swimmers: I want to improve my technique now in the early part of the season. I'm pretty good about always paying attention to my form and working on something: staying in the slipstream, good catch, rotation, elbows high, whatever. I swam 1:40/100 in my IM, so not terrible, but definitely have room for improvement. Are there "toys" that might help improve my technique? I use pull buoys regularly but that's about it. I got one of those tempo trainers on ebay a little while ago but haven't started using it yet. Could fins or paddles or ??? help me better my form? Any general advice or suggested reading? Thanks! And happy new year all!

In my opinion paddles and fins are great for what they are meant for. If you have a technically sound pull, then paddles are great at building muscle strength . If you have problems with your pull, then paddles are a great at causing shoulder injury. Fins are great at building muscle strength during high intensity sprints and 200 - 400's at race pace intensity ( your actual pace will be much faster than race pace, but the PRE would be the same). Fins are great at wasting precious workout time if you just swim with them.

The 2 most important parts of the swim are body position in the water and pulling all the way through the stroke.

There is a small wrist flick at the end of the pool. This drill exaggerates it slightly and is good for working on finishing the pull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVMCaPeVa8

As for as body position, start by using the pull buoy almost at your knees, getting your feet to the top of the water. Also work on swimming with your chest down. When that feels comfortable, you can attempt to drown yourself by tying your feet together. I have used an old bike tube. If you can swim 25 yards with your feet tied together and they stay on top of the water, you have proper body positioning.
2015-01-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: #5075376

User image

Sorry guys but I'm out. I applied for a scholarship a couple of months back and didn't get it but agreed to join his group, which just popped up. Best of luck to all of you and feel free to drop me a line anytime. If you need help with losing weight I've been there and have had some success.
2015-01-01 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by kevinbourque Thanks for the input...the Olympic race will essentially be a tune up for the HIM, however, with the limited training for the this past summer's Olympic, I would like to think that if I can stay healthy, I should be able to have a better time. You are correct, a good HIM program is hard to come by, especially when you are limited on training time. The only concern I have with the BT program is that (in my opinion) the running and cycling portions are not very detailed...the swimming is...so what my thinking is...if I use the timing of the BT program, in other words, the amount of time trained but use the International distance details for the same time frame...for example...if in week #1, BT states a 45 minute run...then I would got to International week #1 and get a 45 minute detailed workout...what are you thoughts on doing this?

An olympic as a tuneup before the HIM is great. The last thing in your post is what worries me. You probably know much of what I'm about to write, but I'll start from the beginning just in case.

Each of us has some limited capacity to absorb training stress. It increases over the course of the season, but each week there's some limit, and exceeding it will lead to something bad, usually injury. The amount of volume (time) you're doing is one contributor to that limit, the amount of intensity (time going fast) is another. So your HIM is going to be building volume, pushing that limit back by adding time going relatively easy. The olympic plan will increase intensity more than volume to prepare you for the faster/shorter race. So if you take the times from the HIM plan and the details (the intensity) from the olympic plan, you're going to get a double dose of training stress increase which will very likely lead to injury. Does that make sense?

In my opinion, many plans over complicate things with the details of workouts. Mostly we need to put in time in zone 2 ("conversational pace"), especially for the longer distances. You wouldn't go wrong by just building volume in zone 2 until you're doing 60/14 mile long rides/runs and then adding in some zone 3 or 4 work. But especially for the first year at longer distances, lots of aerobic is the way to go. People dislike that message because it's not sexy training and it's time consuming (and it doesn't sell plans), but it's low risk and it works. 

2015-01-02 12:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by KatNWater 

In my opinion paddles and fins are great for what they are meant for. If you have a technically sound pull, then paddles are great at building muscle strength . If you have problems with your pull, then paddles are a great at causing shoulder injury. Fins are great at building muscle strength during high intensity sprints and 200 - 400's at race pace intensity ( your actual pace will be much faster than race pace, but the PRE would be the same). Fins are great at wasting precious workout time if you just swim with them. The 2 most important parts of the swim are body position in the water and pulling all the way through the stroke. There is a small wrist flick at the end of the pool. This drill exaggerates it slightly and is good for working on finishing the pull https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVMCaPeVa8As for as body position, start by using the pull buoy almost at your knees, getting your feet to the top of the water. Also work on swimming with your chest down. When that feels comfortable, you can attempt to drown yourself by tying your feet together. I have used an old bike tube. If you can swim 25 yards with your feet tied together and they stay on top of the water, you have proper body positioning.

Thanks, Kat. I've done the thigh flick drill quite a bit, as well as turning onto the side for three kicks, dragging fingertips along the water on the extension, and fists. I've been told that I have too much follow through on my pull, that I should glide less and cycle my arms faster. Actually, I just had my sister video me swimming over the holiday. Any specific suggestions?

http://youtu.be/dg9r9Xltywc

Edited by neweyes 2015-01-02 12:10 AM
2015-01-02 7:14 AM
in reply to: momandmd

User image

Pro

Originally posted by momandmd

This looks like a great group for my goals!  

NAME: Karen Wilson (momandmd)

STORY:  I did my first triathlon in 1990, a few more after having kids in the late 90s, took a break during medical school and residency, and have been pretty consistently sucking at short distance triathlons since 2004.  I did my first Oly in 2012, and my second last summer (Boulder Peak-mercifully minus Old Stage).  I also have done two half marathons, and I think my body (though perhaps not my mind) are made for longer distance.  So I have been contemplating doing the Harvest Moon 1/2 IM in September.  My challenge has always been fitting in the workouts around my schedule-

Welcome to the group Karen!  You have some nice experience to rely on as you tackle the longer distances.  Look forward to helping you reach your goals for 2015!

2015-01-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: Toffels

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Toffels Ok, I've got a bit of a silly question. I just finished up a ride on the trainer and I logged it in my training log. Do I post about it here too? I went through and friended everyone on this thread so everyone should be able to see my training log, but I'm not sure of the typical procedure here. Just throw it on the training log, or post about it here too?

No need to post workouts here.  We have links to your training logs so we can see what you've been up to.

2015-01-02 7:18 AM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Pro

Originally posted by StevenC Jim, thanks for hosting another Mentor Group. Definitely interested in joining up again. To refresh my background. Name- Steve Story- 45 year old, Southern California family man with 2 great kids, 11 and 8, awesome wife who all support this obsession. 

Steve its great to have you back in the group for 2015.  November sounds like a long way off but it will be here before you know it. 

2015-01-02 7:23 AM
in reply to: Kaper

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kaper  Wow, thanks! My short runs were 30 minutes, I was starting to move up to longer ones but I can stick there for the time being. I can easily switch out the longer run for two shorter ones, running is the easiest for me to do. Should they all be 30 minutes? Thanks for the plan suggestions, I will check them out for sure. I really would like to have hired a coach but unfortunately being on maternity leave is a huge pay cut so it is not in the cards this year. Happy New Year everyone!

Since you have already been going longer it would be fine to have one of those 2 runs at 40 minutes and the other 20-30 min, especially if the shorter one makes it easier to squeeze it in. 

2015-01-02 7:26 AM
in reply to: fshcm

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fshcm I'm in, too. I read Angelo's entry above and it could have been mine. I think this is the right place for me. Here's my story... Name: Bill STORY: I'm a 42 year-old fatty that needs to make some changes. About 2 years ago I was 250 so I started training. I got to where I was completing 75 mile bike rides, running 10k's, and swimming over a mile at a time. Then I got a promotion, got stuck behind a desk, and experienced a 300% increase in my stress! To top it off, I injured myself a bit and used that as an excuse to quit training "just until I healed" and to start drinking too much. That was about a year ago to the day. I am now 280. I'm not going to continue this way. I'm going to lose 80 pounds and complete an Ironman - not this month, or even in 6 months - but I will do it. I want to join this group because I need the ear of people who are going through the same thing I'm going through. I want to help motivate others as much as they motivate me. Too often, the people closest to us are not supportive because they just don't understand the struggle, the ups and downs, etc. So we can do this together, no matter what our personal situation may be. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two 17 year-old twin step kids, a 10 year-old daughter, and a 7 year-old son. CURRENT TRAINING: I am starting with basic biking, walking, then running, and will add swimming around May - or said another way, I don't really have a plan other than to get moving. I'm going to worry about the details as we go. 2015 Races: I'm not really aiming for races, but I do have some goals, the details of which I need to firm up, but you'll get the idea. I will complete the Las Vegas Tour de Summerlin 100 mile bike ride in Apri, I will run a 5k by the end of April, a 10k by the end of July, and a half marathon by the end of November. Weight Loss Goals: As I stated before, I am going to lose 80 pounds. What will make me a good mentee? I know how to execute. I just need to have some structure to my training and some accountability. I'm highly motivated, but that wanes - especially when you have to go for an early morning run in the rain or snow. Thus this group can help be my conscience.

Welcome Bill !!  As a group we will provide that motivation and accountability for you! 

2015-01-02 7:38 AM
in reply to: jhupcom

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhupcom Jim Wondering if you can reccomend a training plan on here to follow. Over past two months I started with a basic sprint tri plan with balanced 2x per week each mode and I weight train 2x per week. My first tri will be May 31 2015 and is a sprint. So about 5 months out. I find the sprint plan seems low on volume. I am not taking a aggressive approach and trying to rush training by any means but I find I am comfortable with the initial training volumes in the Olympic distance plans. Currently I can swim mile unbroken can run 60mins unbroken and bike usually an hour in spinning classes covering about 18-20miles. Would you reccomend training at an Olympic distance in prep for this sprint tri? And if so or if not of the free plans on here is there one you might point me to.. Or any plans outside site? As we cross into 2015 I figure it's good time to enter a structured plan. Bill

Bill I'm assuming the other 2 races you mentioned for 2015 are Olympic distance?  If so, then I think you already have the ability (based on what you said you can swim and run already) to step up to the beginner Olympic plan here on BT.

2015-01-02 7:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevinbourque Name: Kevin Bourque Good evening, I would like to be a part of this group...I have turned to triathlon in the last year running my first olympic distance in July...it was a great experience and I am now going to start training for my first HIM...I have never been an endurance athlete, however, I have always done very well in hockey, football, baseball and bodybuilding...my main goal early in 2015 is to start building an excellent base...if there is one thing that I learned from my first tri it is that consistency is the key...I suffered an injury that left me unable to run for 7 weeks in April-May... My goals in 2015 are to run the Duncan Hadley Olympic distance (mid-June) again to see how things have progressed from last year a Saint Andrews HIM here in New Brunswick, Canada on July 5, 2015. I am 39 years old, married and have 4 beautiful girls from (2, 7, 9 and 14)...as you can see, my challenge is to find time to change. The BT site's HIM training appears good for time crunched athletes, however, the bike and run portion of the training does not appear to be very detailed so I am going to combine the BT training with the International distance training on Open Tri...obviously being from Canada means a lot of indoor training for the winter months... I look forward to hearing everyone's progress!!!

Great to have you join us Kevin!  Wow, 5 women in the household....those aren't good odds when it comes to picking movies

2015-01-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
South Florida

Can I join? 

Name:  Mimi Reeves

Story:  I teach Health and PE to high school students online.  It’s a great gig with a lot of flexibility but can demand long hours. I am working on more of a work-life balance.  I started competing in Tris in 2003 and I have completed 4 Ironmans. I love the long stuff.  My best was in 2009 at IMFL, with a time of 11:01.  I was 9th, but had been shooting for a kona slot.  I missed.   Life became more complicated at that point and training and racing not so great.  I continued but not with the same amount of focus and success.  Last year I took a stab at Ultra running.  I completed the Keys 50 but walked the last 25 as I suffered from severe cramping.  I attempted the Leadville 100, raising $6,000 for National Breast Cancer Foundation in memory of my mom, who passed away November of 2013.  I made it to mile 31. I was not prepared for the altitude nor the downhills for my first 100. I will go back one day but for now, I want my fitness back. I mean, I am *fit*, but I want to see the success I did back in 2009. I want the focus and I want to feel like I did then.   This year I was going to do IMCDA but part of the lack of focus for me is due to financial stress, so I am racing the Great Floridian this year instead. It is a small 140.6 in Clermont, Florida and only cost $250 to enter (early entry incentive).  I can train on the course and it is only a 3 hour drive so it fits my budget. I am looking for some comradery here.  I belong to a local tri club but mostly train solo as the club is based about 20 miles away and they train at hours that don't work for me. 

Family Status:    I am a 48 year old mother of two…an 18 year old boy and a 15 year old girl.  I live with my BF, who I met through this site.  We have been together for 3 years, living together 1.5. 

Current Training:  The past few months I was on the “do something every day” plan.  Not focused but nice.  I got pretty sick just about a week before Christmas (bronchitis gone mad) and was on all sorts of steroids, antibiotics and breathing stuff. I am really more into natural remedies, but this kicked my butt.  Started back on Monday with some visits to the gym and easing back in to the s/b/r. I have been coached and I am a coach but will be writing my own plans this year (again financial).  

2015 Races – Some running events, Tri Miami Oly in May, Lake Logan Half IM in August, Escape to Miami Oly in Sept and Great Floridian 140.6 in October.

Weightloss:  Not really an issue.  I need to lose about 4# to get to my ideal race weight.  This generally happens when I train more.  I am a vegan, for the record. 

What will make me a good mentee:  I like people and though I am pretty good about getting the job done, having a group to play with (albeit online) will help push me when I need it. I will also follow and encourage fellow members.  

2015-01-02 7:59 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevinbourque The BT site's HIM training appears good for time crunched athletes, however, the bike and run portion of the training does not appear to be very detailed so I am going to combine the BT training with the International distance training on Open Tri...obviously being from Canada means a lot of indoor training for the winter months... I look forward to hearing everyone's progress!!!

Hey Kevin, watch out combining plans... mixing olympic/international intensity with HIM volume would be very challenging. I wish I had a good HIM plan to recommend; I had trouble finding one last year, so I made it up as I  went, which I definitely wouldn't recommend. I think it's tough because it's raced so differently at different levels of fitness. As you say, consistency is key, and intensity is often the enemy of consistency. For most people stepping up to the distance for the first time, I'd recommend lots of zone 2 volume with a little muscular endurance work thrown into the peak phase if you want. For what it's worth, my first HIM was in an IM build, and I was doing only zone 2 work and raced much faster than I though I would (5:13 on a tough course). But Jim's actually a coach and may have more informed things to say.

Its true that the 2 types of plans will have different approaches obviously due to the differing distances. I would stick with the HIM plan.  However, just because you're training for a HIM, that does not mean that you should avoid intensity....especially when you are limited with available training hours.  As I mentioned in an earlier response, check out the winter cycling plan (HERE) that gives plenty of detail for key workouts.  I cannot stress enough that if an athlete is limited for time, especially when tackling the HIM and IM distances, you need to make the most efficient use of available hours and that will involve doses of intensity....assuming you already have done the preparatory work to get to the level where you can handle that intensity. 

2015-01-02 8:11 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevinbourque Thanks for the input...the Olympic race will essentially be a tune up for the HIM, however, with the limited training for the this past summer's Olympic, I would like to think that if I can stay healthy, I should be able to have a better time. You are correct, a good HIM program is hard to come by, especially when you are limited on training time. The only concern I have with the BT program is that (in my opinion) the running and cycling portions are not very detailed...the swimming is...so what my thinking is...if I use the timing of the BT program, in other words, the amount of time trained but use the International distance details for the same time frame...for example...if in week #1, BT states a 45 minute run...then I would got to International week #1 and get a 45 minute detailed workout...what are you thoughts on doing this?

The problem with doing this, is that the 2 plans might be diametrically opposed as far as the spacing of s/b/r workouts to allow recovery from a particular workout in one of the disciplines.  So, mixing and matching plans could easily get you into trouble if you are stringing together several workouts that have a fair bit of intensity and you don't have any recovery built into the mixed of 2 plans.  Doesn't the BT HIM plan still have guidance as far as RPE (rate of perceived exertion)?  If so, that is still enough (in the big picture) guidance for a given workout.  Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean about "detail".  A workout doesn't have to be complicated to be effective. 

2015-01-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Mimir98

Can I join? 

Story:  I teach Health and PE to high school students online.  It’s a great gig with a lot of flexibility but can demand long hours. I am working on more of a work-life balance.  I started competing in Tris in 2003 and I have completed 4 Ironmans. I love the long stuff.  My best was in 2009 at IMFL, with a time of 11:01.  I was 9th, but had been shooting for a kona slot.  I missed.   Life became more complicated at that point and training and racing not so great.  I continued but not with the same amount of focus and success.  Last year I took a stab at Ultra running.  I completed the Keys 50 but walked the last 25 as I suffered from severe cramping.  I attempted the Leadville 100, raising $6,000 for National Breast Cancer Foundation in memory of my mom, who passed away November of 2013.  I made it to mile 31. I was not prepared for the altitude nor the downhills for my first 100. I will go back one day but for now, I want my fitness back. I mean, I am *fit*, but I want to see the success I did back in 2009. I want the focus and I want to feel like I did then.   This year I was going to do IMCDA but part of the lack of focus for me is due to financial stress, so I am racing the Great Floridian this year instead. It is a small 140.6 in Clermont, Florida and only cost $250 to enter (early entry incentive).  I can train on the course and it is only a 3 hour drive so it fits my budget. I am looking for some comradery here.  I belong to a local tri club but mostly train solo as the club is based about 20 miles away and they train at hours that don't work for me. 

Mimi !!!!!  Hmmm...I don't know if we can hang around with someone who is affiliated with a shady character like Richard lol.  Welcome to the group!

2015-01-02 8:24 AM
in reply to: fshcm

User image

New user

Miami
Originally posted by fshcm

Today will is the start. doing 10 miles on the bike. The longest journey begins with a small first step.

Hello Bill. I hear you on the promotion and the desk that comes with it. It's good to have motivation and positive reinforcement from like-minded people. It seems like my friends and family actively try to sabotage my diet. Anyway I just did 2000 yards in the pool and now I am off to the LBS to pick out a bike.
By the way we both are trying to reach 200 lbs. I was 246 on 1-1-15.
2015-01-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
South Florida

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Can I join? 

Mimi !!!!!  Hmmm...I don't know if we can hang around with someone who is affiliated with a shady character like Richard lol.  Welcome to the group!

Shady, indeed!! Thanks for having me  

2015-01-02 8:32 AM
in reply to: Mimir98

User image

New user

Miami

Can I join? 

Family Status:    I am a 48 year old mother of two…an 18 year old boy and a 15 year old girl.  I live with my BF, who I met through this site.  We have been together for 3 years, living together 1.5. 

Current Training:  The past few months I was on the “do something every day” plan.  Not focused but nice.  I got pretty sick just about a week before Christmas (bronchitis gone mad) and was on all sorts of steroids, antibiotics and breathing stuff. I am really more into natural remedies, but this kicked my butt.  Started back on Monday with some visits to the gym and easing back in to the s/b/r. I have been coached and I am a coach but will be writing my own plans this year (again financial).  

2015 Races – Some running events, Tri Miami Oly in May, Lake Logan Half IM in August, Escape to Miami Oly in Sept and Great Floridian 140.6 in October.

Weightloss:  Not really an issue.  I need to lose about 4# to get to my ideal race weight.  This generally happens when I train more.  I am a vegan, for the record. 

What will make me a good mentee:  I like people and though I am pretty good about getting the job done, having a group to play with (albeit online) will help push me when I need it. I will also follow and encourage fellow members.  

Hello there Mimi. I am also in South Florida. (Davie actually) I was a member of the Barracudas for awhile but never trained with them because of work hours etc. not matching up. I am so glad that you have had success as a vegan. I have been trying to go vegetarian but have that irrational fear that if I give up meat the universe will cease to exist. I'll give it a go.
2015-01-02 8:38 AM

User image

Pro

An olympic as a tuneup before the HIM is great. The last thing in your post is what worries me. You probably know much of what I'm about to write, but I'll start from the beginning just in case.

Each of us has some limited capacity to absorb training stress. It increases over the course of the season, but each week there's some limit, and exceeding it will lead to something bad, usually injury. The amount of volume (time) you're doing is one contributor to that limit, the amount of intensity (time going fast) is another. So your HIM is going to be building volume, pushing that limit back by adding time going relatively easy. The olympic plan will increase intensity more than volume to prepare you for the faster/shorter race. So if you take the times from the HIM plan and the details (the intensity) from the olympic plan, you're going to get a double dose of training stress increase which will very likely lead to injury. Does that make sense?

In my opinion, many plans over complicate things with the details of workouts. Mostly we need to put in time in zone 2 ("conversational pace"), especially for the longer distances. You wouldn't go wrong by just building volume in zone 2 until you're doing 60/14 mile long rides/runs and then adding in some zone 3 or 4 work. But especially for the first year at longer distances, lots of aerobic is the way to go. People dislike that message because it's not sexy training and it's time consuming (and it doesn't sell plans), but it's low risk and it works. 

I didn't see Mike's latest reply when I posted my own on this issue.  What we are both saying in a nutshell is be careful about mixing plans because they will be out of synch when it comes to built in recovery.  However, Mike and I diverge somewhat on the issue of intensity for HIM training.  Perhaps you would not go totally "wrong" by building volume in zone 2 but for a time-limited athlete you will not be making the most effective use of your time.  And, as Mike and I both said, a workout doesn't have to be complicated to be effective.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-02 8:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 19

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46620 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166

Started by Qua17
Views: 85173 Posts: 4130

2015-12-31 9:16 PM bgreen6252

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54723 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31