General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ADHD and Adderall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-01-04 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: ADHD and Adderall
I have been struggling with ADHD for years and it's gotten progressively worse. I am starting Adderall and wondered if anyone on here has had to use it and any side effects with working out.

2015-01-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: hessma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: ADHD and Adderall

I can't speak to anything regarding Adderall but know that it's actually a banned substance per USADA/WADA and would require a T.U.E. (which will likely not be approved) for use in competition.

I'd be willing to bet 99% of AG'ers that use Adderall have/will never seek a TUE because the likelihood of being tested is pretty much zero but it's still the rule.

2015-01-04 4:31 PM
in reply to: #5079424

User image

Regular
Uh, thanks. More concerned about effects on workouts than competing. I certainly won't be submitting for a TUE, whatever that is.
2015-01-04 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

then if you race you will be cheating. just sayin.

2015-01-04 5:37 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
My son has ADHD so I've done a lot of reading on this. We currently don't have him on any medication, but I wanted to know a bit about the drugs before we have to make a definite decision.

First, I would definitely check with your dr and even make an appt with a cardiologist, especially one that deals with athletes!!

Adderall is a stimulant that affects the heart and blood pressure. You need to be sure you don't have any underlying conditions that could become dangerous with intense exercise.

The drug causes a higher heart rate at lower RPE, so you would be pushing yourself the normal amount, but your heart would reach it's limits quicker. Do you have a heart rate monitor you can use to track this?

Maybe work at timing your dose so that it is after you train for the day.
Start with the lowest dose available and then gradually titrate up if you need.

I also know that some individuals only take their meds on days when they need it - i.e. during the week, but take a break during the weekends.

Finally, the medication has a tendency to blunt hunger and reduce the feelings to eat. Be sure that you pay attention to your hydration and fueling during and after training, even if you don't feel hungry.

I'm sure it can work. Just my .02 and hope you find the info you need!
2015-01-04 6:56 PM

User image

I haven't taken meds for my ADD since I was in high school when I was a non-atheltic band geek. However, given that its technichly a banned substance and may effect your heart and BP, have you discussed a non-stimulant option with your Dr?

I'm poking around the banned substance website USAT links too, and it looks like aderall is only banned in competition, but I'm not 100% sure what the rules surrounding that are: http://www.globaldro.com/us-en/search/BrandStatus.aspx?brandid=4714...

Straterra is not banned at all: http://www.globaldro.com/us-en/search/BrandStatus.aspx?brandid=4588...

A TUE Is a therapeutic use exemption. Its basically a waiver that lets you take a banned substance for medical reasons: http://www.usada.org/substances/tue/

2015-01-04 9:35 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just curious if heavy training doesn't decrease your need for drugs for ADHD?

Perhaps you could train in the morning after being off of it for at least 12 hours. Then take a dose afterwards. I wouldn't think you'd need to concentrate too hard while bike riding or running and it would be a good release for the hyperactivity.

I would probably talk to the prescribing md and ask them what they think and let them know what it is your doing.
2015-01-05 1:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

First, good work taking care of your health, treating what you need to, and being concerned about possible effects.

And yes, the person you really need to discuss this with is your doctor.

Here's just my $0.02 and experience.

While you're starting out on it (and there may be adjustments in dose and/or any other medications you take), I'd hold off on any high-intensity stuff. See how your body reacts with how you're currently training, go through the adjustment process, and then if your training plan/coach/etc. calls for high-intensity stuff, work it in a bit at a time. If you have any focused high-intensity stuff planned, depending on how you personally work with the medication, you may want to refrain from taking it beforehand.

You only need a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) if you plan to take it as you normally do before or during a race. I would not recommend taking it around race time anyway for the same reason as above, and as stated before, because of possible cardiac/blood pressure/other effects, because of nutrition/hydration effects, and because it may actually give you a (non-permitted) advantage by reducing perceptions of fatigue and pain. And while that may give you the unfair advantage, it's actually to your disadvantage because you may push your body beyond what it should do and is prepared for.

2015-01-05 6:32 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

First, good work taking care of your health, treating what you need to, and being concerned about possible effects.

And yes, the person you really need to discuss this with is your doctor.

Here's just my $0.02 and experience.

While you're starting out on it (and there may be adjustments in dose and/or any other medications you take), I'd hold off on any high-intensity stuff. See how your body reacts with how you're currently training, go through the adjustment process, and then if your training plan/coach/etc. calls for high-intensity stuff, work it in a bit at a time. If you have any focused high-intensity stuff planned, depending on how you personally work with the medication, you may want to refrain from taking it beforehand.

You only need a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) if you plan to take it as you normally do before or during a race. I would not recommend taking it around race time anyway for the same reason as above, and as stated before, because of possible cardiac/blood pressure/other effects, because of nutrition/hydration effects, and because it may actually give you a (non-permitted) advantage by reducing perceptions of fatigue and pain. And while that may give you the unfair advantage, it's actually to your disadvantage because you may push your body beyond what it should do and is prepared for.

x2 what Yanti said.

It's banned in competition, but not in training:

http://www.globaldro.com/us-en/search/BrandStatus.aspx?brandid=50761&countryid=3&sportid=102&exact=0&searchid=1762899&userid=3&show=All&search=adderall&newSearch=false

Especially the emphasis on discussing it with your doctor.

2015-01-05 7:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify

1) I have spoken with my doctor and have recently had a physical with EKG, etc. He is aware of my workout regimen and is not concerned about using Adderall. My concern was "theoretical vs real world". In other words, I was asking to get opinions on how this performed in real time use.
2) I will be taking this when I need it, so probably only weekdays.
3) Working out does help, but my issue is more with attention than hyperactivity. My mind can wander wherever it wants while I am working out, but that's not a good trait while I am working.
4) I am not at all concerned with breaking any anti doping rules. since I am a MOP/BOP, I dont think this will be putting me on the podium anytime soon! However, its good advise to not use it because of the health issues that may arise.

Edited by hessma 2015-01-05 7:30 AM
2015-01-05 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by hessma

4) I am not at all concerned with breaking any anti doping rules. since I am a MOP/BOP, I dont think this will be putting me on the podium anytime soon! However, its good advise to not use it because of the health issues that may arise.

This intrigues me; why would you not be concerned about competing under the rules of the sport?

I understand in this case that it's not an issue (provided you abstain from taking the drug on race day) but I don't understand why the rules don't matter in the MOP/BOP.

Shane

2015-01-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: #5079424

User image

Regular
I guess that's a good question. Not sure why it would matter for the times I post. It's not like my reason for taking this is to improve my tri times, I am taking it for my mental well being. Am I breaking rules? Yes, I guess I am. Am I hurting anyone by winning something or taking something from someone else? No, I don't think so.
2015-01-05 7:46 PM

User image

, Illinois
...but the fact is that most of us work and race very hard with probably no danger of ever disrupting the podium. The rules are in place so that everyone competes on the same level with regard to what are deemed "the rules". Even if you finish 99/100, according to the rules you had an unfair advantage over the person that finished 100th. Most of us are still racing against the person in front of us regardless of what place that is.

I will also say that for me personally I don't think this is that big of a deal. I'm just more concerned that you are failing to see the other side of this argument and not realizing what is wrong with your rationalization.
2015-01-05 8:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by hessma I guess that's a good question. Not sure why it would matter for the times I post. It's not like my reason for taking this is to improve my tri times, I am taking it for my mental well being. Am I breaking rules? Yes, I guess I am. Am I hurting anyone by winning something or taking something from someone else? No, I don't think so.

I hear you. 

You want to know how you silence the other folks you are racing against and keep your mental well being in tact?  You tell the race director immediately after you finish that you are taking a banned substance. As you say, it won't make any difference to you, and nobody who finishes behind you will have a beef with anyone but the race director if he/she doesn't adjust the finish.

Everyone should be able to live with that and be happy.....of course, some won't....they just can't. (you might want to pull the RD off to the side so you don't get stoned

Good luck! 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-01-05 8:20 PM
2015-01-06 6:37 AM

User image

Regular
EC - I very clearly see the other side of the argument. I dont think most people see my side of the argument. Triathlon is not my life, its an activity that I thoroughly enjoy and has made my life better. That said, my physical and mental well being are FAR more important than a local race.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that the stranger who finished in front of you in your last race wasnt taking Adderall or similar medicine. If they were, chances are you didn't know and your experience wasn't damaged, was it? You are blissfully unaware.

Have a great day.

Edited by hessma 2015-01-06 6:39 AM
2015-01-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by hessma I guess that's a good question. Not sure why it would matter for the times I post. It's not like my reason for taking this is to improve my tri times, I am taking it for my mental well being. Am I breaking rules? Yes, I guess I am. Am I hurting anyone by winning something or taking something from someone else? No, I don't think so.

I hear you. 

You want to know how you silence the other folks you are racing against and keep your mental well being in tact?  You tell the race director immediately after you finish that you are taking a banned substance. As you say, it won't make any difference to you, and nobody who finishes behind you will have a beef with anyone but the race director if he/she doesn't adjust the finish.

Everyone should be able to live with that and be happy.....of course, some won't....they just can't. (you might want to pull the RD off to the side so you don't get stoned

Good luck! 

LB - Good idea. I guess some people will never be happy.

2015-01-06 6:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion

Good luck! 

Except in this case, the OP is not taking (or planning to take) a banned substance in competition. As the substance is permitted out of competition, as long as he abstains the day of the race, there really isn't an issue.

Shane
2015-01-06 6:43 AM

User image

Champion

LB - Good idea. I guess some people will never be happy.

As long as you don't take the meds on race day, you're in the clear (at least mostly - you could dig into tolerances if you wanted to be in terms of the spirit of the ban, I would say you are good provided you don't take the meds on race day).

Shane
2015-01-06 7:10 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Out of curiosity, how do you know that the stranger who finished in front of you in your last race wasnt taking Adderall or similar medicine. If they were, chances are you didn't know and your experience wasn't damaged, was it? You are blissfully unaware.

Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2015-01-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2015-01-06 8:20 AM

User image

Just sharing my experience with Adderall. I started taking it for attention issues about two years ago. In regards to training, it takes time to adjust and account for the elevated HR. Which completely sucks if you train with HR. For races, I always stop dosing 2-3 days prior to assure my body is drug free for race time. Not only for legalities, but I cant imagine racing on the stuff.

2015-01-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Good luck! 

Except in this case, the OP is not taking (or planning to take) a banned substance in competition. As the substance is permitted out of competition, as long as he abstains the day of the race, there really isn't an issue.

Shane

Also, in some cases if you admit to taking the banned substance while competing, the RD might have you excluded from future events as well.
2015-01-06 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I feel like this is starting to get blown out of proportion.  

The health issues are what I would be concerned with.  I wouldn't want my HR rising too early at any point, as I can push my HR pretty high as it is when racing.  As long as your doctor is OK with your regimen, then you're good.

As for competition, C'mon guys!  If I got 2nd in my age group, and I found out that the guy that beat me took adderall I wouldn't bat an eyelash.  If the HR thing is true then it's probably banned in competition to reduce potential health hazards that the RD would have to deal with.  

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-06 8:52 AM
2015-01-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: bmetjb

User image

Regular
Originally posted by bmetjb

Just sharing my experience with Adderall. I started taking it for attention issues about two years ago. In regards to training, it takes time to adjust and account for the elevated HR. Which completely sucks if you train with HR. For races, I always stop dosing 2-3 days prior to assure my body is drug free for race time. Not only for legalities, but I cant imagine racing on the stuff.

Thanks for the insight, that's what I was looking for. Ive been taking it easy with training and really havent gone hard yet. I'll be sure to monitor my HR very closely.
2015-01-06 10:44 AM

User image

Pro

I'm pretty sure that someone taking Adderall for a health issue, finishing BOP, absolutely PALES in comparison to the people taking PED's who are finishing at the FOP.  The fact is.......nobody at USAT cares about the top end, in AG racing, much less the BOP.  So now we're going to get our panties in a wad about a guy who just wants to finish a triathlon and stay healthy??

I get the point.....and Shane covers it well......but seriously??  .....we're going to worry about a BOP Age Group racer with legitimate health issues who just wants to stay as healthy as he can and run a few triathlons?  I'm not coming over to that side any time soon....  I've got pigmies in New Guinea to worry about.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-01-06 10:45 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ADHD and Adderall Rss Feed  

of 3