United States
39F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 21m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rode my bike from my house to the start (about 1.5 miles)
Run
  • 4h 21m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

the five weeks leading up to the race, i had a health problem that severly limited my running. In fact, during that time, i ran just three times a week before the race - one 10 mile, one 12 mile and one 6 mile two days before the race.

Shortly after the gun went off, the rain-c c c c cold rain- started. I decided that i woukd just do the 13.1 and call it a day. I ended up changing my mind. Due to my severly limited training, i was going to be happy with a 4:25,

My fist lap was at 9:11 a mile. I came in just under 2 hours at the half with a 9:04 average for the second lap. The third lap i averaged 9:08.

Before starting my third lap, i stepped off the course 12 feet, walked over to my bike (that was chained to a tree), reached into my backpack and grabbed an oatmeal cream pie and a mini mountain dew i was saving for after the race. Oh no he didnt....oh yes he did!

I almost had to fight a couple of people who were eyeballing my snack! I ws feeling my lack of training at this point, so i went into walk/run mode with a little socializing. Two of the three aid stations were staffed by my running club, so i stopped for a minute at each to shoot the breeze and trade some energy.

I ended up crossing the line at 4:21:17. Considering my (lack of) training in the 2 months leading up to the race, i am happy with it.

Post race
Warm down:

Changed into warm dry clothes. Had some free pizza. Rode my bike home in the steady rain and watched college football.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training due to health problem.

Event comments:

Steve Boone puts on a great event. This is my fifth time participating with at least as many times volunteering at an aid station.

Last updated: 2015-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
04:21:17 | 26.2 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: This is a four loop, 6.55 mile out and back course on a multiuse "greenbelt trail. It winds between neighboorhoods and along the northern banks of Lake Houston. The field is limited to just 700 participants.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-01-12 5:49 AM

Subject: Texas Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Texas marathon

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1785 Posts: 10

2008-01-04 12:26 PM jcbolton

Texas Marathon

Started by Mrs Fish
Views: 1531 Posts: 7

2008-01-04 6:05 PM CitySky

The Big-D Texas Marathon

Started by FranktheTank
Views: 559 Posts: 1

2007-04-03 12:20 PM FranktheTank

Big-D Texas Marathon

Started by mathiews
Views: 1267 Posts: 6

2007-04-18 10:15 AM mathiews

The Big D Texas Marathon

Started by davidsra
Views: 1321 Posts: 3

2006-04-05 6:03 PM Ontherun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 9, 2014
author : glyssellee
comments : 10
My race report is different. My motivating factors go back seven years. I have lived in denial for seven years. Depression. I registered for Ironman Texas even though I felt like a complete failure.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.

date : October 13, 2009
comments : 0
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.