General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3Disciplines Tri One Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-24 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Subject: 3Disciplines Tri One Program
Has anyone tried this out? It seems like a good idea for those either getting into the sport or those wanting to have a workout with a real race experience attached to it that you can't simulate in training. Here's what it says on the website.

Welcome to TRI-ONE, an innovative and original program brought to you by 3Discipines. TRI-ONE allows you to participate in any one discipline of triathlon or duathlon at any 3Disciplines triathlon or duathlon event.
Do you want to test out your open water swim skills with a timed, professionally marked, and lifegaurded open water swim? TRI-ONE.
Would you like to time trial on some of the most amazing triathlon bike courses out there? TRI-ONE.
How about a 5k, 10k, or 13.1mile run with aid stations, cheering spectators, and a finish time? TRI-ONE.
TRI-ONE is geared toward getting everyone involved in the sport we all love. With a variety of courses and distances, each one lending something unique to the experience, TRI-ONE has something for everyone.
Registration for TRI-ONE takes place on-site on the day of the event. $25 registration fee and includes post-race food, your discipline will be professionally timed, and participation in the post-event raffle.
We encourage you to come out to the events, be a part of it, and TRI-ONE!

Found at: www.3disciplines.com

2015-02-24 7:35 PM
in reply to: #5095705

User image

Subject: RE: 3Disciplines Tri One Program
I have not tried that program but did participate in two of their sprints last year. Both were well organized and the RD took some time to answer specific questions I had after the fact. Seemed like a really nice guy.
2015-02-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

People can walk out their front door and try one of the sports.  I am not sure how much interest this program gets but I would assume less than relays which also gets very few teams.  I think the relay is more interesting because you are doing only one sport but still racing in a sense.

2015-02-27 12:09 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

People can walk out their front door and try one of the sports.  I am not sure how much interest this program gets but I would assume less than relays which also gets very few teams.  I think the relay is more interesting because you are doing only one sport but still racing in a sense.

I've truly never been able to walk out my front door and had the opportunity to swim or bike in the middle of competition with other athletes in the same way this offers. There's a major difference between going out for a workout and doing so in the midst of a triathlon where you would feel the adrenaline and race day excitement. Granted, I could easily do a 5K almost any given weekend, but the other two disciplines? No, I wouldn't have anywhere near as many opportunities to participate in an event like that, especially gauged towards beginners trying to get a feel for a triathlon environment.

That being said, I'm always going to do the full race unless I am recovering from an injury. I've actually done similar to this before when rehabbing a leg injury - I did the swim in an event, but dropped out before the bike. I just wanted to keep the swim going and have the feel of a race environment.

And honestly, without going to check the fees, I believe most relays would cost more than this for an individual entry. Additionally, from my own experience, I've never really known anyone who wanted to do a relay (barring the injury situation already mentioned), which tells me that someone who wants to participate may have trouble finding teammates to complete the relay with.

I think this is a great idea to allow people to experience a race. I don't think it is going to get a ton of interest, but I think it is a really nice addition that 3D is bringing. What harm is there in the offering, anyways? It isn't going to add any additional overhead to do this, and assuming they determine a good process for when to allow the athlete to start in their chosen discipline (i.e., certainly not before the top 10-25 participants have gone out already), it isn't going to affect the flow of the race. It's essentially equivalent to allowing aquabikes.

Thanks for posting it, Sam.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3Disciplines Tri One Program Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2015 3Disciplines Racing go all in for USAT

Started by Tri Sam
Views: 1029 Posts: 4

2014-11-12 5:41 PM Tri Sam

3Disciplines Festival East Tawas Bike course

Started by JBacarella
Views: 973 Posts: 2

2012-04-03 12:38 PM gobluedds

3disciplines newsletter

Started by borsenik9
Views: 2088 Posts: 10

2010-11-30 4:50 AM gir1with1nose

First tri...do one or watch one??

Started by Jbelback12
Views: 1245 Posts: 17

2009-05-09 12:50 AM ethompson

Lansing, Michigan NEW! Tri-Swim program

Started by mitrigirl
Views: 1336 Posts: 1

2005-04-16 9:44 PM mitrigirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 18, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
We have used the past three months to build endurance and strength on the bike and have added the swimming component to the program. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming endurance.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.
date : August 30, 2004
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.