General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim -> Sight and Breath Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-16 6:52 AM

User image

Subject: The Swim -> Sight and Breath
Hi All

during the Swim section of the race you dont notice much of what the other racers are doing while they Swim it's really only watching the videos and looking at photos of the events that you notice different types of techniques that are being used.

And one that seem to be popping up is Sighting and Breathing at the Same Time.. so 3/4 Stroke pattern look up and inhale.. back down again,

have people tried doing this and if so did they notice a difference, on staying on course, did they feel there legs dropping etc...

2015-03-16 8:46 AM
in reply to: davidfoley

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: The Swim -> Sight and Breath
If you don't sight you will swim off the course...guaranteed.
2015-03-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
This is normally how I would site, turn to the side breath and then look forward for a brief time. Depending on what I see I will repeat during a few breaths to confirm I am on target. Basically trying to take a snap shot and moving on. Not sure if this is the best method but it works for me.
2015-03-16 10:35 AM

User image

I lift my head to sight and then finish with the normal motion of breathing to the side.  All in as fluid a motion as possible. 

2015-03-16 10:41 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

That is how I sight.  It throws balance off a bit, but you don't sight on every breath.

2015-03-16 10:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

So what im really getting at is has Tried doing both at the Same time,
Sight and Breath Forward

Yes we all look up sight, back down 2 more strokes and breath to your left or right, or if you can Bilateral..

For anyone that wants an Idea of what im talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSxS20R2gU

Edited by davidfoley 2015-03-16 10:43 AM

2015-03-16 10:55 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Okay, I misunderstood. I do not take a breath when I sight, just eyes up. Any more than that and I'm straining too much and my feet are dropping.
2015-03-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I lift my head to sight and then finish with the normal motion of breathing to the side.  All in as fluid a motion as possible. 

x2 on that one
2015-03-16 11:26 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TJHammer

x2 on that one

x3

quick peek with the eyes barely above the surface, turn the head to the side and take a breath and process what I saw during the peek.  If it made sense, breathe normally for a few strokes and repeat.  If it didn't make sense, take another peek and repeat.

2015-03-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Trying to figure out is it worth while doing both at the Same time...

I have notice a few people doing it,

one person is in the Local swimming Club and he's a flyer.

2015-03-16 12:08 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

for some reason the audio on the video wouldn't play for me so I don't know what exactly they were saying but the first technique in the video is wrong IMO.  I can't imagine how lifting your head high enough to take a breath would ever be the most efficient way to do it.

2015-03-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

x2 on that one

x3

quick peek with the eyes barely above the surface, turn the head to the side and take a breath and process what I saw during the peek.  If it made sense, breathe normally for a few strokes and repeat.  If it didn't make sense, take another peek and repeat.

x4

2015-03-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by axteraa

x2 on that one

x3

x4

x5

I misunderstood the OP.  My sighting is more like the second version in the video, although I don't sight near that often (the rate in the video was probably for demonstration purposes).  I'm fairly good at tracking straight, so I check right after going around a buoy and maybe a couple more times between the buoys (depending on the distance between).

2015-03-16 2:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by davidfoley Trying to figure out is it worth while doing both at the Same time... I have notice a few people doing it, one person is in the Local swimming Club and he's a flyer.

Probably not a good idea.  In the video the narrator explains that it's not good for the reason you mentioned, hips dropping.  The girl swimming in the video is a strong swimmer and can get away with it.  What's not mentioned and if you have tried sighting/breathing this way is it's more taxing on your shoulders / arms.  If you are not a strong swimmer it will further make your technique fall apart. 

IMO the second way is also the faster way to swim.

2015-03-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Hook'em

x5

I misunderstood the OP.  My sighting is more like the second version in the video, although I don't sight near that often (the rate in the video was probably for demonstration purposes).  I'm fairly good at tracking straight, so I check right after going around a buoy and maybe a couple more times between the buoys (depending on the distance between).

Messed up quoting, but anyway, but hook'em, do
You have that same good sense of direction while swimming in both ocean and lake?
I have to sight a lot in ocean swimming. A calm lake makes me more confident and sure of myself to sight less

Edited by TJHammer 2015-03-16 5:52 PM
2015-03-17 5:26 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

x5

Messed up quoting, but anyway, but hook'em, do You have that same good sense of direction while swimming in both ocean and lake? I have to sight a lot in ocean swimming. A calm lake makes me more confident and sure of myself to sight less

Probably not.  My open water experience is limited to fresh water.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Swim -> Sight and Breath Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Out of Breath While Swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by jacasa
Views: 37537 Posts: 35

2010-03-20 10:17 AM srempfer

big or small breaths while swimming

Started by mikep
Views: 1596 Posts: 11

2007-06-26 6:25 PM mikep

out of breath swimming

Started by mikep
Views: 1025 Posts: 19

2007-05-24 9:43 PM Exor

Out of breath during swim

Started by alan_lee
Views: 1120 Posts: 10

2006-07-17 2:12 PM RJSuperfreaky

Swimming: Breath through mouth or nose?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 4218 Posts: 7

2004-10-04 8:11 PM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
comments : 0
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : October 5, 2007
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
date : September 12, 2007
Discussions on open water swimming with waves, optimal breathing, practicing sighting, when to get up and run, using the back and breast stroke, dropping your stroke count and swim aids.

date : September 3, 2006
Tips on wetsuits, using different strokes, where to line up, breathing and sighting.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
It's extremely frustrating and I even get in a bad mood when I run. I think I might have increased my mileage too fast. I have a hard time catching my breath now too, even at short distances.

date : October 30, 2005
author : boneyard
When you can't catch a breath on the swim and your equipment fails, keep trying!!