General Discussion Race Reports! » Skunk Cabbage Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Skunk Cabbage Classic Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ithaca, New York
United States
Finger Lakes Running Club
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 53s
Overall Rank = 384/598
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/26
Pre-race routine:

Left the house around 7:45. Got up there and parked in the lot by Schoellkopf. Registration was down on the track and the stadium restrooms were open. It seemed like a nice set-up. I had plenty of time to relax in the car before the start.
Event warmup:

None other than walking down to the start line. Forgot my Garmin in the car, but didn't think I had time to go back and get it so I went without it.
Run
  • 2h 05m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Went better than I expected. Around mile three I was thinking it was going to be a LONG day but then all of a sudden the miles were ticking by. It didn't bother me as much as I thought to not have my Garmin. Beautiful day - I had worried about it getting too hot, but it was fine.
What would you do differently?:

Remember my Garmin.
Post race
Warm down:

The few water jugs they had at the finish were too crowded so I walked back to the stadium to get water there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training - however I was pleasantly surprised with how this one turned out and I think this will be the boost I needed to finish out my training for Cleveland in May.

Event comments:

I really like this course. The medal was cute too - they didn't have medals in the past. I think if it were hot, I might consider carrying water. The cups at the water stops weren't very big and didn't bend very well making it tough to get enough water in. They also need more water right at the finish - there were a few jugs and cups but there were too many people around them to get to them.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/26
Overall: 384/598
Performance: Average
Ran without Garmin, so no splits.
Course: Gradual climb up out of campus, then rolling hills. One pretty good climb at ~ mile 10 (but it's short). Gradual downhill back to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-04-14 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Skunk Cabbage Classic Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skunk Cabbage Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Skunk Cabbage Classic - Half Marathon

Started by gdale
Views: 1601 Posts: 6

2011-04-14 11:54 AM velcromom

26th Annual SKUNK CABBAGE CLASSIC

Started by rstocks3
Views: 1388 Posts: 5

2007-04-02 2:13 PM rkreuser

Skunk Cabbage Classic

Started by rstocks3
Views: 1295 Posts: 4

2006-04-11 10:46 PM marmadaddy

Skunk Cabbage Classic

Started by shanec_75
Views: 1567 Posts: 5

2006-04-02 10:52 PM shanec_75

Skunk Cabbage Classic

Started by kinoue
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2004-02-17 12:00 AM kinoue
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.