General Discussion Race Reports! » Prospect Park Mother's Day Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Prospect Park Mother's Day Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brooklyn, New York
United States
City Tri Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 8s
Overall Rank = 4/52
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Normal breakfast and supplement routine. Few extra trips to the throne had me rushing to get to the site to see my brother off in the International distance.
Event warmup:

As weather got more sunny and humid I became less interested in going harder in the warm up - which was a few 6-800m runs and strides
Run
  • 13m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I went hard for first 800m, perhaps 5.50 pace or so. Backed it off a bit, let the lead 3 ahead. Basically, that turns out to the case for the entire remainder of the race
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Warm up little longer? Egh, running first is not my cup of tea anyway. So was happy with my pace overall as it didn't burn me out
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Slipped trying to clip left foot in, other than than lil bit I was fine. The cool part of this T1 was that as our good friend was recording my T1 on video, my brother came flying by on his bike leg of his Intn'l. division as I am running to mount. My friend is screaming that my brother just passed, so I pumped hard to catch him and I did!
Bike
  • 28m 23s
  • 10.35 miles
  • 21.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I caught my brother within a mile and we did about 75% of my ride together. That was great and made it much more cool and fun, because there was NO WAY to plan for this with so many divisions and other factors. He was going longer so I drilled my last lap and took off ahead.

Nothing. My bike legs continue to improve and be my strong suit. Crank it up just a tad more, I wanted fastest overall bike time. Missed it by 1.40.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

I go in so hard into T2, I ollie'd that bike so hard I popped the chain off. People got spooked, it was more comical to me because I was still in control

Not scare everyone jumping off my bike lol
Run
  • 15m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Here we go again. Jacked up heavy legs in final run. It's in these moments that I really do feel my 190lbs. I preferred keeping a 7-7.20 pace at least!

Keep working on run legs. I suspect my final runs will be better in tri's because duathlons are tougher on me
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch a bit. I felt great afterwards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heavy legs

Event comments:

This Sprint Du had top 3 times amongst best in last 5 installments of this race. I am happy I was working to contend with those times. My ambitious goal on this course was an hour. I hit 59 minutes which made me thrilled. Winner had a final time of 54 minutes. That was second best ever in this race. I missed 3rd overall by just about a minute. I blame it on the runs, because the 2nd and 3rd place overall guys were using ME to pace them on the bike leg, which I kind of enjoyed.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:25 | 02 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 4/52
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat course with baby hill cutting through park for Sprint
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:28:23 | 10.35 miles | 21.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/52
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 3 Full laps around the park. One quick hill with steep moment, but nothing major.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:32 | 02 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 9/52
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-05-12 9:35 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Prospect Park Mother's Day Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prospect Park Mother's Day Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Carl Hart Mother's Day Duathlon

Started by javitale
Views: 771 Posts: 1

2011-09-08 5:36 PM javitale

Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri

Started by jvonal
Views: 601 Posts: 1

2011-06-05 6:19 PM jvonal

Mother's Day Triathlon/Duathlon & Kids Mini-tri

Started by edawno
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2010-05-10 4:41 PM edawno

Mother's Day Duathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1059 Posts: 16

2005-05-10 10:25 AM Stacers

Keno Bros. Mother's Day Duathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1183 Posts: 15

2004-06-06 10:39 AM Aikane
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!