General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 48m 53s
Overall Rank = 1160/1273
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 200/208
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Columbia the day before, got checked in and the bike racked and all that good stuff. Up sometime between 4 & 4:30, coffee, bagel & some gatorade for breakfast. Then off to the race! Was less than 10 minutes away, got there around 5:45 and got things setup & bodymarked. This took all of 15 minutes tops, so I spent the next hour wandering around transition listening to my ipod and people watching. Found Chippy and we hung out until transition closed.
Event warmup:

HR went through the roof all on it's own watching the other swimmers take off. It's been a rough week for a lot of BT'ers and I was already fairly emotional going into the day. Today was for Lane (Cavu9) - he's gotten me through so many rough training days - all I have to think about are his marathon CT sessions and suddenly my hour on the trainer is a breeze. The least I can do is get out there and not die on the swim, crash on the bike or puke on the run.
Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 1000 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

After Colonial Beach, I had a score to settle with the open water. DNF was NOT an option today. I was in one of the late waves out (7:48, first wave went at 6:50) so I had way too much time to watch the other swimmers. I'd already decided to just side/breast stroke on the first leg and just get comfortable in the water. The start was somewhere between "wade" and "if you stand on your toes you can see". The horn went and off we went. I stayed off to the side as I had no desire to get kicked in the head. Talked with another gal near me and we agreed as we went along, it's all about just getting to the next buoy.

I ended up ditching the breastroke and going to something vaguely resembling freestyle early on - 12 strokes, then flip to recovery in an attempt to keep everything in check. Sighting was good, mainly because I found I wasn't much actually getting my head *in* the water, LOL. Things thinned out very quickly so I could move closer to the buoys. Made the first turn and part way through noticed the girl next to me had no goggles - asked if she'd gotten kicked and if she was OK, turns out she just hates goggles. Then it hit me - I AM TALKING TO PEOPLE ON THE SWIM! I'm comfortable enough I am saying thanks to all the volunteers as I go by, and not freaking out.

On the second leg, I upped the swim/recovery interval to 16 strokes. Feeling good. Made the last turn pretty close to the buoy and upped the interval again to 20, cause I'm still feeling OK.

I was shocked that it took a full 17 minutes for the next wave to catch up with me (yes, I looked at my watch.) About 2/3 of the way through the swim I realized I was being stalked by one of the kayakers. Yelled to him, "I'm OK, I'm just really slow!" That must have convinced him that I was not going to drown on his watch and he went off to watch other folks.

Hit the second to last buoy and you can see the finish. Oh. My. God. It's there and it's not moving farther away!!! Part of me wanted to power through to it, but I knew that would be a Very Bad Idea, so I just kept plugging along and I FINALLY got there.

Stumbled out of the water under my own power, no faceplanting (go me) and grabbed the closest volunteer and hugged him and exclaimed "I didn't drown!!!!!" He hugged me back and congratulated me and I am sure was thinking "It's never the normal ones that throw themselves at me."
What would you do differently?:

Get phone number of that volunteer at the swim finish.

My god, I SURVIVED THE SWIM, what more can you ask for?
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

For whatever reason, I decided to RUN into transition. Even as my brain is telling me, "Hey, idiot, slow down!" Got to my rack (no problem there) and decided to just park my butt on the ground and tend to helmet & shoes and such, since I was still fuzzyheaded from the swim. (Or delirious, which would explain the running.) Unracked bike, stopped and thought I was forgetting something, but took inventory - helmet on and clipped, shoes & socks on, well, that seems to be everything. Walked the bike to the exit - it was up a very steep grass hill and I could easily see myself losing my footing and falling flat on my face.

Read on to find that out...unless you've figured it out already.
Bike
  • 89m 46s
  • 17.9 miles
  • 11.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to the bike start, got waaaay over to the side before I clipped in and took off, as I'm not always particularly graceful getting started. Volunteer said I got extra points for the pink bike.

The course was pretty hilly, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to *really* categorize it. It was overall hard, but not *that* hard - I managed to get up every hill without having to stop, and most of my passing was going UP the hills. What can I say, I refuse to give up any momentum I have going up a hill. Hard, but I liked it.

Around mile 2 I figured out what I was missing - my camelbak. Oh, that's going to make for an interesting ride now, isn't it? (It was in transition, I just left without it.) At mile 4 the tri-gods smiled on me as smack in the middle of the bike route I came upon an IronGirl water bottle, 3/4 full. Well, I can't leave it there, someone might hit it and get hurt. ;) Quick stop, grab that sucker, down a bit of water and take off again. (Hey, I've heard rumors of people picking up Gu off marathon courses...)

Somewhere between miles 5 & 6 I think, I hear Chippy's voice behind me! To be honest, I was wondering where she was, I figured she was way overdue to pass me. (Turns out she was 2 swim waves behind me and not just one.) Some chatting on trying to decide if the hills are challenging or just suck and away she went.

Probably around mile 10 I came upon a gal walking, asked her if she was OK - "Yes, but on the edge" That just didn't sound good, so I pulled off and asked if she had any water - no. Yeah, that could have been me if I hadn't found my bit of treasure on the road. So, pulled the bottle out, she first said the aid station was just down the way a bit, I pointed out she seemed to really need it *now* and we could both get more at the aid station so just drink as much as she needed.

Having the aid station was great, especially with my flaking out in T1. Exchanged my "found" bottle for a bottle of Gatorade and took off again. Yeah, I pulled over, stopped and unclipped for it. The gal w/the bottle said "oh there's no one around you, it's OK!" and I quickly explained an on the move bottle exchange was a disaster in the making.

Back end of the course was uneventful, just more hills! Honestly, I think there were more uphills than downhills. Little did I know this was the theme of the entire race, and if they'd been able to make the water go uphill, they would have!

Remember my camelbak - would have had less stops along the way to drink, but at the same time, it was a nice reward for cresting a hill. Also not remove the normally-not-used-but-full anyway bottle from the cage before the race started. (I have NO idea why I took it out.)
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Once again with the RUNNING through transition with the bike. Jeez, you'd think I was an actual triathlete or something. :) Charged through the racks, found my row with no problem, but overshot my spot by about 4 feet but quickly got the bike back on the rack, changed out my shoes, stretched out my quads, grabbed the hat and race belt and took off.

Not that I could have done anything about it, but I wish I had at least noticed that my socks were still soaking wet.
Run
  • 41m 22s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Just as I exited T2, it REALLY hit me that I was going to do this today. Came *this* close to crying, but I managed to save that for later. I must have done a decent job between gearing down and spinning out the end of the bike and taking the few extra seconds to stretch out my quads cause I felt like I had my run legs right away.

First mile was small hills and then flats, not too bad. Aid station around mile 1.5 was manned by the Village People. Awesome. Grabbed some Gatorade, walked while I drank and the up the hills again. At mile 2, I swear I was on a straight uphill spot, and decided to just give myself 30 strides walking. Honestly, I think the walking was faster. :)

Somewhere along here I ran into Chippy again on the backside of her run - hugging and squealing ensued.

Hit the hula aid station, grabbed a water and a gatorade, drank the gatorade and dumped the water down my shirt. Then a nice downhill. YAY! Except for the fact that there are runners coming back the other way, and that means it's an uphill when I come back. This is apparently "Gatorade hill" that they had referred to before the race. Ouch. Continue on, loop around one of the parking lots and back on the way to "the hill" - wow, that one kinda sucked. I was in the "just pick out something on the ground and sorta run to it" mode to get up it, but it worked. Got more Gatorade and water, same routine as before. They insist it's "all downhill from here"

Liars! Actually, there were quite a few flats, but still one more small hill, but it sure felt big. (If I went back and looked tomorrow, I probably wouldn't even find it.) Crested that, and more folks are saying it's downhill. I'm having some trust issues with those statements at the moment - saw a couple gals that had already finished, and asked them if it was really downhill and they assured me it really was. And thank god, it was.

Down the hill and to the flat back to the finish. Wheee!! They'd said there would be 2 timing mats, one before the finish so they could pick up who you were and then the finishing mat. Well, for whatever reason, I thought these would be farther apart than they were - I went over the first one, kept cruising along and before I even knew it, I was over the second one and had about 5 volunteers grabbing me and saying, "Whoa, slow down!"
"Am I really done?!"
"Yes, are you OK?"
I realize she thinks I don't even know where I am and is ready to send me to the med tent, so I assure her I am OK (and once again, fighting back tears) Hugs all around, got my finishers medal, and more hugs.

Walked out of the chute, which was right next where the swim start was. I looked out at the lake, and you know it - the waterworks started. Mission Accomplished.

Magically flatten the course? Actually, for all the hills, I'm happy with the result.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, found one of the gals I'd played leapfrog with on the bike course and said hi. The food tent, in keeping with the theme of the day was UP A HILL. Got back over to transition and this was when I discovered I'd been running with soaking wet socks the entire time. Yeah, there are some blisters. Next time around, I'll take the extra time to just switch out socks in T2.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh, where to begin?! Need to do more hills on the bike & run training.

Event comments:

This is an exceptionally well run and well organized race. TONS of volunteers, the aid station for the bike is fantastic and plenty of aid stations on the run as well.

Overall, definitely a challenging course, but a very good one.

Last updated: 2005-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:28 | 1000 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 185/208
Overall: 1158/1273
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR tri shorts & tankini
Course: Sort of a rectangular course - out to the left, hard left turn, another hard left, then to the finish
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:11
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:89:46 | 17.9 miles | 11.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 201/208
Overall: 1179/1273
Distance is off the bike computer.
Wind: None
Course: Basically an out and back with a side loop. Somewhere between 17-18 miles, with an aid station at mile 11. Lots of hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:22 | 03.3 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 184/208
Overall: 1033/1273
1 -- 11 8/60; 2 -- 12 36/60; 3 -- 12 18/60; 3.3 -- 5 20/60
Course: I don't know how they managed it, but I seriously think it was all uphill. (Well, there were a few downhills, but it sure didn't feel like they equaled the uphills.) Loop-ish course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2006-08-27 2:23 PM
in reply to: #523262

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
great job. After living in Columbia for many years, I know you rode a good hilly course.  The climb out from Homewood is a long climb.  The hills on the run around centenial lake are well know too.  You did a great job!
2006-08-27 4:10 PM

User image

Baltimore, MD
Way to go BodyCheck! I raced Columbia today as well! I was freaked out about the bike hills, but I didn't mind those as much as the run hills! The Gatorade hill was tough.
2006-08-27 4:50 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Wow! Sounds like you had a good time despite some challenges that might end the day for a lot of people. Great report too!
2006-08-27 5:10 PM

User image

I am so thrilled for you!  You're an inspiration to me!  You are awesome for stopping to check on a fellow racer - I'm sure she appreciated it.  As for everything being uphill, I'm totally with you.  As for the guy at the end of the swim......I'm sure he didn't think you were too nutty.........=)

2006-08-27 7:18 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
I want to be that guy at the end of the swim. I would have given you a leaping high five and then urged you on to transition.
What a great end to a heck of a week. Good job triathlete studette.

2006-08-27 7:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-27 8:39 PM

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Excellent race report! Congrats on a super race, Irongirl!
2006-08-27 8:56 PM

Expert
Delano, MN
Nice job Cindy! I'm proud of you for sticking it out through all the tough spots! It was OK to cry - what a day. I am really impressed with your stopping and sharing water. A first class triathlete all the way!
2006-08-27 9:18 PM

Veteran
Awesome race!  Way to go conquering the open water
2006-08-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: #523271

Elite

Doughboy - 2006-08-27 3:23 PM great job. After living in Columbia for many years, I know you rode a good hilly course. The climb out from Homewood is a long climb. The hills on the run around centenial lake are well know too. You did a great job!

Good to know it wasn't my imagination - one man's "rolling hills" are another man's mountains. I really enjoyed that course, though and definitely want to hit it again next year.

in reply to: #523359

Elite

baltimore bethany - 2006-08-27 5:10 PM Way to go BodyCheck! I raced Columbia today as well! I was freaked out about the bike hills, but I didn't mind those as much as the run hills! The Gatorade hill was tough.

Yep, I definitely think the run hills were worse!

in reply to: #523385

Elite

RGRBILL - 2006-08-27 5:50 PM Wow! Sounds like you had a good time despite some challenges that might end the day for a lot of people. Great report too!

I had a fantastic time - once I got through the swim I was just flying high. (Well, slowly flying, but still flying!)

in reply to: #523402

Elite
Yoshi - 2006-08-27 6:10 PM

I am so thrilled for you! You're an inspiration to me! You are awesome for stopping to check on a fellow racer - I'm sure she appreciated it. As for everything being uphill, I'm totally with you. As for the guy at the end of the swim......I'm sure he didn't think you were too nutty.........=)

I'd like to think *someone* else had to have tackled him at the end of the swim!!

I have a Nurse Nightengale complex I think - I can't keep going if someone else is hurt. Bike problems I can't help with, but I can at least share water!

in reply to: #523506

Elite

gullahcracker - 2006-08-27 8:18 PM I want to be that guy at the end of the swim. I would have given you a leaping high five and then urged you on to transition.
What a great end to a heck of a week. Good job triathlete studette.

I think he thought at first I was just falling over into him! I am sure I'll do this one again next year - come up and volunteer for the swim exit.

in reply to: #523557

Elite

spokes - 2006-08-27 8:51 PM Most excellent RR. You should be an excellent climber on the bike if you keep at it Cool Climbing is fun! And just think, there's nothing more humiliating than getting dropped by a chick on a pink bike LOL

This is where I think the all-gals event is a little different. You pass someone and call out 'on your left" the person being passed says thanks, and half the time compliments you on your bike. When I found the gal that I'd been playing "pass & be passed" with on the bike, we both marveled over the gal on the mountain bike that trashed us both.

in reply to: #523621

Elite

ginagmiller - 2006-08-27 9:39 PM Excellent race report! Congrats on a super race, Irongirl!

Thanks!! You did a fantastic job, too!

in reply to: #523647

Elite

hikergerb - 2006-08-27 9:56 PM Nice job Cindy! I'm proud of you for sticking it out through all the tough spots! It was OK to cry - what a day. I am really impressed with your stopping and sharing water. A first class triathlete all the way!

I had such a fantastic time today. Overcoming that swim was such a huge deal for me and carried me through every swingin' hill, then when I looked back at the lake again, just lost it.

I just couldn't imagine *not* stopping. Occured to me later it could have been a penalty, but guess what - what the race official doesn't see, he doesn't know about.

in reply to: #523671

Elite

joebowler - 2006-08-27 10:18 PM Awesome race! Way to go conquering the open water

Thanks!!! I still can't get the silly grin off my face.

2006-08-27 10:00 PM
in reply to: #523685

Master
Canandaigua
BodyCheck - 2006-08-28 10:20 AM

joebowler - 2006-08-27 10:18 PM Awesome race! Way to go conquering the open water

Thanks!!! I still can't get the silly grin off my face.

Silly grins mean you did a great job and you know IT!!  Thansk for the great RR and congratulation.
2006-08-28 9:04 AM

Queen BTich

Great job and I'm so proud of you for finishing the swim!! Whoo hoo!!! You'll be freestyling the whole way before you know it!

Congrats!

2006-08-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: #523999

Elite
Comet - 2006-08-28 10:04 AM

Great job and I'm so proud of you for finishing the swim!! Whoo hoo!!! You'll be freestyling the whole way before you know it!

Congrats!

Thank you!! I remember what you told me after Colonial Beach - "You know you can do the distance" and I reminded myself of that several times during the swim. 

2006-08-28 10:20 AM

Veteran
Maryland
Cindy, great job on the race and fantastic RR! I was in total awe of each and every Iron Girl athlete. I've done plenty of 5k and 10k runs around town, and one duath, but never attended a tri before yesterday. This started out as a fact finding mission for me but ended up as more of a religous experience than anything else. I found myself choking up as the swimming waves headed off one after the other, I just couldn't help it. Over at T1, I'd pick one racer to watch, see everything that they did, then watch them run up the hill on the bike out (gee, another hill, right?) Went over to the finish line to see the top ten, then over to the bike dismount because I was very curious about that. Walking back up Rt 108 to my car, we clapped and cheered and gave encouragment, telling the racers , "great job, almost there, nice position, looking good, etc." It was so cool when someone would respond and acknowledge with a, "thank you". Fun stuff. Again, wow, WTG!

I didn't want to leave. It was just incredible. I am so pumped for my race on the 16th!

Larry
2006-08-28 3:29 PM

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Great race report! I know exactly which water bottle you picked up, I remember seeing that water bottle! That's good that it was there so you could have something before the water bottle exchange! And the timing mats at the end were confusing - they had two at the Columbia tri too and I remember thinking I was done when I crossed the first one and then I had to start running again! Congrats on a great race!
2006-08-28 8:19 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Cindy,

As usual another great race report.  You always have something fun happen to you at races.  Great job with the swim, way to stick it out.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2