World Triathlon Corporation
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 11m 39s
Overall Rank = 253/2252
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 38/192
Pre-race routine:

Arrived day before. No time to get used to the 5,000 elevation gain. Was just going to wing it.

Drank a few Ensures and a banana. I arrived at 5:15 or so at transition. I set up my stuff and actually went over in my head how to do transition this time. I had 45 minutes until they'd kick us out but it was pretty cold, so I just stood there next to my bike for 45 minutes so I wouldn't have to take off my morning cloths until the last minute.
Event warmup:

Going to restroom one last time, freaking out about the start, and then making it to my wave ~3 minutes before we went in. No warm up :)
Swim
  • 38m 21s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had another freak out moment on this swim. I did a 2 mile swim 6 days before (well...attempted to do that triathlon). During that swim I freaked out due to the chop, well here I freaked out since I thought I would freak out. I know... Anyway, I treaded water a lot before the first turn. I had it in my mind that I should give up. I had a ton of self doubt after last week's race where I DNF. Well I told myself to suck it up. It wasn't even choppy. After I rounded the first buoy, things started to click. I swam way on the outside to avoid people but I was doing fine. I didn't need to stop other than every 5 minutes when I lost sight of a buoy and I was way calmer and got my form back.
What would you do differently?:

Not freak out. I wanted 35 minutes or lower (and ~33 minutes being the real goal). Considering how much I treaded water, I guess it wasn't too bad of a swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

3:51 for T1 is actually one of my better ones... I thought I did worst since I put on bike shorts over my tri shorts since I can't bike more than ~20 miles in tri shorts. Sort of talked to guy next to me and let him use my water to clean off feet.

Be faster :) I walked out of the water since I was exhausted but started to run ~5 seconds after that.
Bike
  • 2h 24m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I made a huge gain on the bike. Like I said, it was super easy course. I averaged 21.6 @ 225 watts for 2 hours during a training ride 2 weeks before hand with race wheels (no aero helmet though). That was a flat but windy ride. I averaged over 23 mph with less power on this ride. Shows how much easier it was. I liked the course except that first 15-20 miles or so were open to traffic.

I kept myself calm on this ride. Since it was 5,000 ft higher than what I'm used to. Anytime I heard myself breathing hard I told myself to calm down and my breathing went back to a relax light effort breath.

My goal was actually 225 watts for this. I faded at the end. For some reason I had it in my mind I was riding 52 miles and at 51.6 miles it finally hit me it's 56 mile on the bike. No idea what I was thinking. I slowed down a little and lost a little composure after that.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

I almost mounted my bike backwards and then realized it before I set it in place.

Remember where run out is. I ended up running towards bike out, which was on the other side of transition.
Run
  • 2h 01m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I made two huge mistakes on this run:
1. I started off way too fast. I had it in my mind I was going to do a sub 1:40 run and I got too ambitious at the start. I should have started slow and then worked myself faster. I knew this...
2. I drank Gatorade the first 3 miles. This ALWAYS causes me to have stomach cramps when I first start the run. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

After mile one, I couldn't get any air. The entire time I was gasping for air. I think the elevation finally hit me. I ran a marathon 2 years ago in Denver and it really never affected me but I was going no where fast on this run. My run cadence was 160 too...which is 18-20 below my average. This wasn't my run today. I walked through every aid station and even between a few of them. On the last mile I grabbed a Gatorade and it tasted awful...like super super concentrated. I instantly felt like I was going to throw up. I had to walk almost a full half mile on my last mile.

I watched a lot of people in my AG pass me. Very heart breaking. I then picked it back up and saw someone with the same age as me sounding like he was doing to pass out at any moment. I saw I had .2 miles to go and I wanted to beat him. It gave me something to try for. Well I picked up the pass and finished and at the finish I was gasping for air (did beat the guy by 10 seconds though). I was breathing but it felt like I wasn't. I grabbed onto a medal poll and started to almost black out. 20 seconds later things started to feel better and I could move and my vision was back to normal.

Start slower and drink water only the first few miles. I was 20 minutes off goal time and doing this correctly could have saved me 5 minutes for sure (still accounting for the altitude thing).
Post race
Warm down:

No stretching. I just grabbed a recovery shake and found a place to sit and I sat for 10 minutes and then looked for my friend. We found a shaded area and sat and talked for 20 minutes or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude? Maybe. I hate to say that was what caused me to blow up on the run. I did bad things to myself but I think the elevation took it toll on me at the end too.

Event comments:

I liked this race. I didn't see any food though. I'm sure there was but I looked at the finish line and to the exit and they only had bottled water and the protein shake.

The swim was well organized. TONS of boats out there. Bike course was super easy but the open traffic for 15-20 miles sort of sucked. Trying to pass people safely at this part was a little difficult. I liked that the course was one giant loop so I didn't have to loop to the slower people and it helped keep packs down to a minimum.

Run course sucked, imo. I did not like the trail part. The fist sized rocks everywhere meant you needed to step with care. Not horrible by any means but I'm sore from trying to balance my tired body on them for 13 miles.

Overall I liked this race.

Last updated: 2015-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:21 | 2112 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 84/192
Overall: 471/2252
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full
Course: 2 turn course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:24:49 | 56 miles | 23.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/192
Overall: 186/2252
Performance: Good
HR was about 161. Higher than I expected for averaging only 205 watts (high Z2).
Wind: Little
Course: Easiest course in the world for the bike. When I looked down after an hour and saw that I was doing almost 24 mph as an average I couldn't believe it. The course in the flattest course out there for only a few tiny hills. The air being less dense made cruising way easier, more so with only light wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:01:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/192
Overall: 253/2252
Performance: Bad
Avg HR: 157 Started at a 7:20 pace and then itched up to almost 11 minute miles at end.
Course: Gravel and lots of large rocks. I didn't like it at all. The sides of my butt are sore since I had to use a lot of stabilizer muscles running on the rocks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-14 10:29 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by islandertek
Views: 1731 Posts: 1

2010-08-17 12:06 PM islandertek

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by llamaface
Views: 1725 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 2:29 AM llamaface

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by acefaser
Views: 2626 Posts: 7

2010-08-17 12:18 PM acefaser

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by trimama530
Views: 2966 Posts: 9

2010-08-12 9:54 PM trimama530

Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Started by tribean
Views: 2649 Posts: 5

2010-08-11 3:02 AM tribean
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.