Sun Multisport Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 52m 13s
Overall Rank = 521/606
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 70/73
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4. had some breakfast. got my stuff together and left.
arrived at cathedral camp just after 5. got my race numbers and timing chip and went to transition to set up.

talked with teammates. i felt a little unfocused and kept thinking i was forgetting something. i lost track of the time. as i was rushed and just made it to the start corral before my wave went off.
Event warmup:

i did a quick 3/4 mile jog with some pickups.

swam a bit. goggles were leaking, but it was the swim cap breaking the seal.

finished warmup, headed over to the swim start.
Swim
  • 42m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

i dove in the water and had some trouble initially sighting and breathing. sun was strong to my right side, so i had to breathe on my left which would pull me off course. once i got out further was able to breathe without the sun bothering me.

settled in to a good pace, and then slowly remembered to pull through the entire stroke, on the leg back, i then remembered to kick more!

What would you do differently?:

I started swimming again four weeks ago after the winter off. finished a minute off where i wanted to. so happy with the swim. i know i can swim faster. just not enough time to gain speed in the short time i had. will focus on speed with Whaling City coming up next.

Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

i've done this transition faster. not sure what slowed me down. wetsuit got stuck on my heels, but i sat down and got it off.

put on my shoes, helmet and sunglasses and grabbed my bike.

i may have been slow running through transition, but not sure why i was so slow.

not sure what i did wrong. T2 is usually faster for me as i don't have to contend with a wetsuit. i didn't feel this slow while doing it. i was actually in and out quicker than two others around me. so maybe just seeing the time made me think i was slow
Bike
  • 3h 12m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

i had a bit of trouble clipping in to my shoes. finally got clipped in and got up to speed.passed some bikers. had some issues around some of the early corners.

got to mile 5, took a sip of my scratch, saw a pothole as part of a manhole cover, and hit it. at that point i lost both of my bottles. i decided to just consume what i had in my speedfill and grab bottles off the course. the only problem is that the bottle exchanges are at mile 18 and 25

had some issues on the hills still. wasn't as bad as other races but i can't keep a good pace up the hills without getting passed.

at first bottle exchange i grabbed a gatorade and put it in the rear bottle holder.i still had some skratch drink in my speedfill so i didn't want to mix them. about two miles later, i heard that bottle drop out of the cage.

at next bottle exchange i grabbed another gatorade and took a couple of sips. a couple of miles later i hit a pothole and reached back and noticed that the bottle was almost out of the cage. i put it back but made a decision to stop and look for my dropped skratch bottles at mile 5.

i completed the first loop in 1:28.. i was feeling real good to finish the bike in under 3 hours.

i got to mile 5 and was slowing down to see if i could find my water bottle. i hit the brakes and tried going over to the side, when i hit a pothole or something and next thing i knew. i hit the ground. hard.

hit my elbow, felt my head hit the ground and slid a bit. it took me a few minutes to get up. a woman stopped and helped me get my bike to the side of the road. once there i took some time to compose myself and sort myself and bike out.

chain was off, but bike seemed okay. helmet looked ok. (i checked again when i got home, and my helmet was cracked.)

i grabbed my water bottles and filled up my speedfill as long as i was stopped.

i lost about 15-20 minutes. i kept my garmin going and it was at about 1:50 when i started back up. got going slowly and felt ok. still pushed my race pace.

towards the end of the bike, my neck started to hurt and it was paintul to stay in aero postion..

still even with the crash and subsequent slowing down, i finished 3:12 on the bike. i most likely could have broken 3 hours.

not crash.

work on hills at lunch.
Transition 2
  • 05m 12s
Comments:

had a very long run from bike dismount to my rack spot. i felt some twinges in my hip and felt some pain. this happened before so i thought it would go away once i started running.

i got to my rack, racked my bike, and sat on the ground and collected myself. i was very surprised to see that others who started after me hadn't passed me on the bike and hadn't come in yet.

got up and started running, pain was in my hip when i would land on my left leg. a volunteer noticed my face and asked if i was ok. i lied.

nothing.
Run
  • 2h 49m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

not good.

i started out running the first half mile or so, and then had to walk up the first hill.

i started out this way running a half mile or so and then walking, but even that got to be too much. i wound up having to walk two minutes, and run two minutes. the pain in my hip got to be too much if i ran more than that.

i stopped at every aid station and grabbed water. and dumped it on my head.

definitely drank too much. but it got very hot and humid and there was no shade and not much breeze.

was the toughest run i've done. i fought myself the whole way and nearly quit a few times.

not much.

i felt great other than my hip. fitness wise i knew i could put down a 2 hour half marathon. i just couldn't run for more than two minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

sat down and collected myself. i then went to the ice tub to get cool. it was then i noticed how bad my leg looked.

i went to medical and had the emt's cover the cuts, and found the food tent.

found my teammates and went to get my stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crashing. it limited my ability to run, and push the bike.

run fitness was where i wanted it to be, just wasn't able to try it.

Event comments:

good race. i don't particularly like the run. a single loop without much spectators make for a long run if you are having issues.

volunteers on the bike course were ok. some were good and told you where to go,

Last updated: 2015-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:18 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 55/73
Overall: 396/606
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: a rectangular course. athletes were sent out in sets of three every ten seconds. helpful for those that are nervous swimming in large groups. one thing i noticed was thaf faster swimmers from the next wave came up quick, as there wasn't the usual gap between waves.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:12:48 | 56 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 65/73
Overall: 445/606
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: a 26 mile course done twice that went through cranberry bogs and the surrounding towns. aid stations at mile 18 and mile 26, due to some permit issues i guess.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:49:22 | 13.1 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 554/73
Overall: 70/606
Performance: Bad
Course: a single loop through the surrounding towns.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-21 11:47 AM

New user

Subject: Patriot Half Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 3866 Posts: 19

2011-07-07 11:54 AM Dream Chaser

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by BradyFinney
Views: 1915 Posts: 4

2011-06-19 7:45 PM Rudedog55

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2937 Posts: 14

2012-05-01 1:41 PM gcoller

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 2728 Posts: 15

2011-06-20 6:17 PM trix

Patriot Half Triathlon

Started by Joe84
Views: 1623 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:48 PM natethomas2000
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : November 16, 2010
author : Al1978
comments : 4
From the couch to a half Ironman the hard way.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.