General Discussion Race Reports! » Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Crystal Lake, Illinois
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 8s
Overall Rank = 64/116
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet Saturday. Woke up Sunday, light breakfast of granola and soy milk. Drove the 15 minutes to parking and walked in. No assigned numbers on the rack so I grabbed the first spot on the end. Set up, talked to Bob from Wheel Werks, sipped from my Infinite bottle and got my suit partially on. Walked over to the beach and sat down. Ate a gel before swim start.
Event warmup:

None really. I did go put my feet in the water, but that's it. They seeded us by expected swim time. I got in line with the 30 minute group. We went off one by one every 5 seconds.
Swim
  • 31m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Forgot to start my Garmin until I was 2-3 minutes in. Doh! Felt good and had a nice stroke going. Sighting was pretty good and little traffic. Overall, not too happy with the time. Last year I swam 29:xx. But I was 4th in my AG so maybe the course was a bit long? My Garmin said 0.92 miles even without the first couple of minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Swim training has been a little lax lately, but I expected closer to 30 minutes for this. Guess I overestimated my swim fitness, again.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Run up the beach, through the pavilion and into transition. Suit not necessarily stuck, but I had to sit down to get it off. Decent time for me.

Hustle
Bike
  • 1h 03m 55s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition you went up a hill, so I had it in my big ring and my biggest rear cog. No problems getting clipped in. I really wanted to do this in an hour flat as I knew the course was only 20 miles. There was a bit of headwind on one section and that tight turn from Pingree to Virginia broke any momentum I had each lap. Overall, fairly happy with this. It was starting to get hot too and I was sweating pretty good.

Better bike handling in corners at speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Decent time. I took a few extra seconds to wipe my face of sweat. Had to sit on the ground to get my socks on as my feet were wet from either the swim or sweat.

Nothing, good time for me.
Run
  • 1h 03m 3s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Like last year, the sun came out, it was humid and I started off poorly. My run fitness has been really good all spring but I think the heat just affects me now that I am older. I also do not train in the heat so that's on me. I walked some starting at mile 2 and my lap pacing really slowed. On the second loop, there was a lot of walking as I was sweating profusely and could not get enough water in me. Ate a gel here to top of my empty tank. Convinced myself to run 2 minutes and walk 1 minute and that helped. Maybe should have started that earlier and I could have broken an hour. My standalone 10k time is usually 52:xx, so this was a poor effort. Oh well.

Either learn to run in the heat or come up with a better run strategy earlier when I don't have "it".
Post race
Warm down:

I was really sweating at the finish. I bet it was now around 80 and there was no shade. I did not feel bad and gulped down water and HEED, at a turkey sandwich and some Cheetos. Probably should have went and jumped in the lake to cool off, but instead, sat around in transition and baked. Packed my stuff and left. Home by 10:30. Love racing local.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall fitness and heat. I may do the race again and opt for the sprint.

Event comments:

Second year for the race. They are doing a good job and really want to make this work. They were under pressure form the city to clear out so they could open the rec area back up in time for the summer crowd, so they kept announcing to pack up and get out of transition if you were done. Not a great post-race atmosphere since we parked off-site and no one was going to pack their cars and come back down to the finish.

Last updated: 2015-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:03 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 52/116
Performance: Below average
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Big counterclockwise circle around a couple of small islands. Buoys on your left. The last section was 500 yards straight into the sun towards the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:55 | 20.5 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 70/116
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops at 5.1 miles per. Started out uphill right out of transition, then All right hand turns and an entire lane or entire road closed for us. It was pretty nice. One sharp turn that you had to slow down for and part of the course was under construction. Our lane was a little rough through that section. Advertized as a 6 mile loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:03 | 10 kms | 06m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 14/19
Overall: 109/116
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops through the rec park. Mostly grassy trails, some single track, some limestone, some paved. This year, the up/down the sled hill was out. Still had one steep downhill section and a rocky trail uphill. Downhill finish to the chute.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-23 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course

Started by cartman1966
Views: 1089 Posts: 2

2014-06-26 12:12 PM BuckHamilton

Illinois Triathlon Championship - Sprint Course

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 1219 Posts: 4

2014-06-26 12:05 PM BuckHamilton

Illinois Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course

Started by drconnelly85
Views: 647 Posts: 1

2014-06-23 6:28 PM drconnelly85

Illinois Triathlon Championship - Sprint Course

Started by miami9296
Views: 1220 Posts: 4

2014-06-26 12:08 PM BuckHamilton

ITU World Championship Series San Diego Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by jasonatkins
Views: 1254 Posts: 2

2012-05-14 4:33 PM renesis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.