United States
Challenge
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 25m 32s
Overall Rank = 89/288
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 11/41
Pre-race routine:

Got into Knoxville late Friday night from Ohio. Stayed at the Hampton Inn. Got some sleep and woke up the next morning to join some friends for breakfast. I sprinkled in some warm-ups throughout the day on Saturday. First thing was a quick 3 mile run. Then down to the river for a warmup swim around noon. Then I did a 10 mile easy bike ride where I covered a good amount of the run course. After that, I had a quick lunch and stayed off my feet while I prepped my bike, dropped it off at transition, and then headed to an early dinner of pasta. I thought I could go to sleep around 9:00 and I did. but I woke back up a10:30 and couldn't get back to sleep until after 1:00. My stomach wasn't feeling great all night.

Alarm went off at 5:45. I put the tattoos on, packed my stuff in my car, grabbed a cup of coffee and then drove a half mile down the road to the parking lot since I was leaving right after the race and no need to walk back up the hill to the hotel after the race.

Went to my transition spot, put shoes on the bike, mixed my drinks (1 big bottle of concentrated infinit on the bike, 1 bottle of infinit to the talk to the swim, 1 infinit napalm in Simple Hydration bottle for the run). Borrowed a pump to pump my tires, and headed towards the swim start.
Event warmup:

Warm up consisted of a barefoot 1/2 mile walk to the swim start. I got there around 6:30 and sat down with some light rain to watch the pros start. Hit the restroom twice while waiting. Watched, the first age group wave go off and before you know it, they were telling our age group we had 5 minutes to get in the water. So I booked it down to the start, zipped up my wetsuit, put on my cap and googles, and jumped in.
Swim
  • 35m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very little (no) warm up. Jumped in the water and about 1 minute later, they said go. When I got in the water I was in the fifth row. I didn't realize this until 5 seconds before they said go. So before the start, I found myself swimming to get in the 2nd or 3rd row. Right when it started, there was a good push I pushed hard to get in front of some people with some good contact at first, But from that pojnt on there was minimal contact along the entire course It was my first OWS of the year, so it seemed like it took forever for the turnaround buoy. But then we turned around and I noticed I could really hear the rain. It would stop as we went under bridges. I didn't feel like I was swimming entirely well as my stomach was still feeling a little "icky". I even stopped for a quick second well after the turn around point and looked at my watch. It said 24 minutes. I looked at the far off finish and figure there was no way I was going to get there by 37 minutes. So it brought me down a bit that I was swimming slow. I just kept my stroke long and focused on a complete pull until I got to the end. I threw myself onto the dock like a beached seal, looked at my watch and saw 34 minutes. I was surprised and rejuvenated. So I got a nice jog going as I headed up the ramp towards the transition. It was pouring at this point as I ran to my bike.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

No wetsuit strippers, so ran the whole way to transition in wetsuit. The run took a little over 1 minute. I put my sunglasses down my jersey top in case they fogged up and I could take care of that while on the bike. Put salt tabs in my back pocket, put my helmet on and took off.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Since this was training for IMLP, my goal for this bike was to set power limits and stay within them. I wanted to average around 195. When you factor in the downhils where I was doing 0 watts and some of the up hills where I would only max out in the 250, an average power of 186 seems like I stayed where I wanted to.

Immediately out of transition, it's pouring and I have no sunglasses on yet since they would just fog up. Heading out of town, you hit a few small hillls and it's relatively bumpy and congested, so I was constantly reaching back to make sure I didn't lose my water and nutrition. Also as people pass you or you pass them, they kick up tons of water onto you, so that was fun for the majority of the ride. I just stayed in my zone and had three other guys who would pass me on the uphillls, then I would pass them on the downhills and we did this for about the first 25 miles until around mile 35 or so, I just noticed one other person ahead of me keeping about the same pace. I think that slowed me down a bit when it gets quiet. I kept my HR in check by maintaining watts. I never pushed too hard on the uphills, so with about 18 miles left, I was averaging over 20mph which was way above what I thought I could do on 190 watts, but the last few hills slowed me down to sub 20mph which was fine.

My stomach still never felt perfect and I was starting to feel a bit icky on the ride back to transition, but it never really got any worse. I came into transition, did a flying dismount, and ran my bike into the transition area.

I just wanted to feel good coming off the bike, so even though I was much slower than normal, it was a successful bike.
What would you do differently?:

If it wasn't a training race, I would have gone harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

My shoes and socks were SOAKED! Put them on, grabbed my napalm, and my race number and ran out of transition.

Put shoes and socks in a plastic bag.
Run
  • 1h 55m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling great. I noticed Iw as going out too fast, which is a typical mistake. So I deliberately slowed down. I just tried to keep my HR around the high 140s. Average over the run was 152. I really enjoyed this run. I decided to walk the steep hills instead of shuffling up them. So I did that at the long hill in the woods and then at two of the hills in the neighborhood. Looking at my watch early on, I thought I might be able to run a sub 1:50 and be able to go under 5:20 for the race. Which would have been good considering the conditions and the fact that my goal was to stay within my limits. So once in the neighborhood at the top of the hill, I started pushing a little bit. With about 4 miles to go, my stomach was still feeling pretty blah, but I kept pushing and walking the length of each aid station. I should have skipped the last aid station with about .25 to go, but I stopped there and never seemed to really kick it in for the last 400M.

Anyway, up the hill back to the park, I felt pretty good. As I was coming into the finish shoot, there was a guy in front of me and he had his kids join him for the finish, so I slowed down a little bit to let them have their moment and so I would stay out of the picture. It was cute to watch the little ones run through with their Dad, so I was smiling as I came through the finish.

I could have pushed harder, but I wanted to be able to train the following week.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed some water and a banana. Stretched a little and then walked back to get my bike. Loaded up everything in the car, and headed back to Ohio. I don't like spending my weekends away from the family, so I wanted to get home ASAP.

Event comments:

Challenge didn't skip a beat from the Rev3 race experience. I thought the race was well organized. I love this course and the Challenge/Rev3 experience. SWAG was weak. Tee sweatshirt says triathlon on it in very small letters. It should have a big 70.3 or something on it. Same with the medals. But considering this was a warm up race, the medal and other stuff didn't mean much to me.

Last updated: 2015-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/41
Overall: 98/288
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Up river about 1/3 mile, then back down river past the start to another small dock at the edge of the river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:05 | 56 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/41
Overall: 95/288
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Hilly course through Tennessee. Very scenic, but very wet for this race.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:55:48 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/41
Overall: 89/288
Performance: Average
Course: Roads, bike trails, neighborhood streets. First 3 and last 3 miles are pretty flat, but lots of rolling in between.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-06-23 9:45 AM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Challenge Knoxville - Half Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Challenge Knoxville - Half Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Challenge Williamsburg - Half Course

Started by parrj
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2015-06-16 9:31 AM parrj

Challenge Quassy - Half Course

Started by Jayabusa
Views: 1127 Posts: 1

2015-06-12 2:19 AM Jayabusa

Started by Ned42
Views: 952 Posts: 1

2015-06-09 1:30 PM Ned42

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1332 Posts: 8

2015-06-11 1:56 PM juniperjen

OSU Ross TriFit Challenge Triathlon - Challenge Course

Started by jkuss14
Views: 1040 Posts: 1

2014-06-23 5:46 AM jkuss14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.